LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

still on stock injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face still on stock injectors

soo... i skimpped out on injectors. I'm in the process of getting a few things straightened out, outside of the car life. I've only got 600miles on the new build. Am I going to be hurting it due to the tiny injectors>? If so I'll just stop driving it, and just ride my gsxr and wait till i can get the bigger injectors/racetronix fuel pump kit/and tune obviously.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're on stock injectors, the only way to tell if they are too small is to measure your duty cycle via access to a scanner. IMO, you are pushing that combo with 24#. I'd suggest (t the very least)stepping up to 30+#. I went with Lucas/Delphi 42# injectors for my combo.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been noted by a few professionals that at least on TTS Datamaster that the DC % is not the most consistant but until you know what power this thing makes and the A/F measure by a wide band, you just dont know.

To be honest, you can drive it if kept UNDER WOT and kept in the lower RPMs. Since most tuners not only take care of WOT tuning, they do part throttle and with that will do a "lean tune" for crusing (2,800 and below rpm) and A/F can be upwards of 14.5 to 1, BUT when you got WOT it drops to the command 12.8 or so (n/a).

Start checking plugs, drive a good distance, do not let it idle, pull into a parking lot and shut off and check. Reading plugs is always considered a good thing to do.

FYI, you should be getting bigger injectors. #30 Ford at minimum. I have used Racetronix as well with great success as they are that Delphi style injector vs the Bosch style like stock or Ford.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delphi 37# would work well too
Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id say 36,37 or 42's should do you just fine. Bare min 30lbers.

Racetronix is where id shop.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

To me, seems like throwing darts at a board. Many say the formula method shouldn't be relied on.

If too much injector is installed, the PCM, wirh feed-back from the 02 sensor(s) can adjust, up to a point. However, at WOT the engine may well be too rich since in PE mode, 02 feed-back is ignored.

What I'd do is call my PCM tuner and follow the advice given.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slomarao
Id say 36,37 or 42's should do you just fine. Bare min 30lbers.

Racetronix is where id shop.
I've ran a 383 on Ford #30 for years, I will say due to different factory pressures, they like a 33 I beleive. Until it goes on a dyno, you really dont know what you need. A calculator is really great to have and keeping the injector at 70% is ideal.

I upped my injector but in the end, i ended up tuning them down quite a bit. It was rich enough with the correction in the PCM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

he should be making 400-380rwhp but at a large drivetrain loss. So if you figure out your flywheel hp you can pick the exact injector for your application. Otherwise you are guessing, but when I threw the sizes out there is was to make sure your going to get a big enough injector for the amount of hp.

Sure you can run 30lbers on a 383 but if the topend was not a mild setup you were probably very high on the duty cycle. I would prefer to run mine closer to 70-75%.

Call racetronix.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so when I put the larger injectors in along with bigger tb and the racetronix fuel pump kit should I get the mail order tune so I can drive it to where I'm getting it dynotuned? Or just drive it there the day of the dynotune? I read somewhere, that "ring wash" could happen because of pcm not being tuned for the bigger injectors? Just retuning it with the mail order tune then paying again for the dynotune?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

if it were me, id install the pump before, as it wont affect the tune at all, and install the injectors at the shop your taking it to(takes like 10 minutes, just get there early and swap em) i know a guy who ran his lt1 15 minutes before he tuned for the injector size, soaked his oil, then once tuned didnt change the oil for 3k. spun a number of bearings....
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

cool. sold my rims... started to chrome peel so whatever... stocks look good still, just not as flashy. After got the money went ahead and picked u some 36lb boschIII flow matched injectors from fic, one of our sponsors. Just a question when I put em on... do i just unbolt the fuel rails, and slap em in? or do i have to unhook the fuel lines first then do that?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

you can do it without removing the fuel lines, but its soooo much easier to swap em out of the car imo.

Quick Reply: still on stock injectors