LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone got rid of the oil cooler on a 94

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got rid of the oil cooler on a 94

Anyone removed the oil cooler and ran without it with any ill effects. Can't find one to replace the one that came off the stock blown 350. Can't be sure all the metal was cleaned out of it, so I wont reuse it. THANKS JB
Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, no problem
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My donor motor was a 94, no oil cooler anymore, no problems.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

You can run fine without it, but if you do want to use it, backflush it with solvent and just be sure to run a non-bypass oil filter (like the Purolator PureOne filters) and you won't have to worry about it...

The cooling is on the inlet side of the filter, not the outlet, thus anything in the cooler will be trapped in the filter as long as there is no bypass built into the filter...
Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

When I spun a bearing in my old motor. I left the oil cooler off the new engine without issue. I just capped off the port on the water pump and the lower port of the radiator...
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
When I spun a bearing in my old motor. I left the oil cooler off the new engine without issue. I just capped off the port on the water pump and the lower port of the radiator...
And you should not do that, as mentioned before, as that is a bypass hose that allows hot coolant to circulate between the waterpump and radiator, thus when the thermostat opens up there is less thermal shock...

When a stock oil cooler is in place that bypass actually acts as a oil heater until the thermostat opens.

The factory places a hose from the bottom port on the radiator to the waterpump on cars without a factory oil cooler. It *IS* necessary for proper thermal operation of the cars cooling system.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why GM even had it. I think I asked this question over a year ago, not even all LT1s had it I think I was told. Didn't transfer it from my old motor to the new one. If anything its nicer not having those two hoses running amok. I did run a hose from my radiator to the waterpump though instead of capping it off.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
And you should not do that, as mentioned before, as that is a bypass hose that allows hot coolant to circulate between the waterpump and radiator, thus when the thermostat opens up there is less thermal shock...

When a stock oil cooler is in place that bypass actually acts as a oil heater until the thermostat opens.

The factory places a hose from the bottom port on the radiator to the waterpump on cars without a factory oil cooler. It *IS* necessary for proper thermal operation of the cars cooling system.
I'm not worried about thermal shock. I have a 160 thermostat and my fans are tuned at 180/190 degrees.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Not sure why GM even had it. I think I asked this question over a year ago, not even all LT1s had it I think I was told. Didn't transfer it from my old motor to the new one. If anything its nicer not having those two hoses running amok. I did run a hose from my radiator to the waterpump though instead of capping it off.
IMHO, its NOT an oil cooler. It is actually an oil warmer. The coolant reaches normal hot temps much quicker than oil does. They are using this thing to raise the oil temps faster for reduced emmisions and better cold weather reliability.
Clearly it is not needed because the Vette does not have it.

Yes i took mine off and sold that **** on ebay, once I cleaned the ton of chunks and stuff out of it.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast

Did it to mine per the recommendation of some folks I know that build engines regularly and I haven't had any problems. 160* thermo and fans programmed - my car NEVER reaches above 180.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meissenation
Did it to mine per the recommendation of some folks I know that build engines regularly and I haven't had any problems. 160* thermo and fans programmed - my car NEVER reaches above 180.
I have a 160 stat and mine is always 196 +/- a few.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meissenation
you know my car use to always be at at around 180. i broke the water temp switch when i was installing my headers so i got a new one. now it is always at around 196-197. so im guessing the old one was reading wrong. maybe your's is also?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine's a v6 to v8 swap - only one set of wires to power the two fans so when the PCM commands one fan on it actually turns both on. Keeps my car nice and cool

Quick Reply: Anyone got rid of the oil cooler on a 94