LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sudden loss of oil pressure...

Old 07-17-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Sudden loss of oil pressure...

We just got my buddy's '97 z28 back on the road. Lower mileage block, new CC502 cam, full bolt on's, stock stalled A4, 3.42 10 bolt.
Things were going great, just hooked up the wiring for the ewp. Started it up for the first time and let it reach operating temp. Car idled and ran very well. Oil pressure was strong so we took it for a test drive on the freeway.

My buddy went WOT on the freeway at around 60mph, he said at ~90mph the car just shut off. he coasted to the side of the freeway. The car didn't want to restart at first, sounded like the starter grinding. Finally it restarted after a few mins but the oil pressure is at zero now. It will rise a little when you give it rpm, but as soon as you let off the gas, it drops immediately to zero. No knocks, ticks, nothing. Car starts and runs fine, but nada for oil pressure, so we can't run it for long. I am going to troubleshoot this weekend.

I am going to hook up a mechanical gauge, but assuming that the sensor is not the problem, what could it be? Pick up tube fell off?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

Thats the symptoms a racer buddy had when his pick up fell off.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Usually the symptoms for an oil p/u falling off is low oil pressure when braking. I would first start looking at the oil pump drive gear and shaft. If those are fine then I would only assume bearings have given up. You can tap on the bottom of the pan to see if the p/u is off and bouncing around...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, thanks.

possible culprits:
-oil pump drive
-pick up tube

Anything else?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
ok, thanks.

Possible culprits:
-oil pump drive
-pick up tube

anything else?
Originally Posted by ss rrr
if those are fine then i would only assume bearings have given up.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR

Well I would hope its not a bearing. Pressure was at 25psi hot idle and ~60psi WOT.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
We just got my buddy's '97 z28 back on the road. Lower mileage block, new CC502 cam, full bolt on's, stock stalled A4, 3.42 10 bolt.
Things were going great, just hooked up the wiring for the ewp. Started it up for the first time and let it reach operating temp. Car idled and ran very well. Oil pressure was strong so we took it for a test drive on the freeway.

My buddy went WOT on the freeway at around 60mph, he said at ~90mph the car just shut off. he coasted to the side of the freeway. The car didn't want to restart at first, sounded like the starter grinding. Finally it restarted after a few mins but the oil pressure is at zero now. It will rise a little when you give it rpm, but as soon as you let off the gas, it drops immediately to zero. No knocks, ticks, nothing. Car starts and runs fine, but nada for oil pressure, so we can't run it for long. I am going to troubleshoot this weekend.

I am going to hook up a mechanical gauge, but assuming that the sensor is not the problem, what could it be? Pick up tube fell off?
doesnt sound like pick up tube problems to me sounds... like a spun cam bearing from one getting nocked around when installing the cam. now its blocking a oil passsage cars dont just shut off when a pick up tube falls off but i guess my theory doesnt really explain the hard to start and the grindind either
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02anti_vnm
doesnt sound like pick up tube problems to me sounds... like a spun cam bearing from one getting nocked around when installing the cam. now its blocking a oil passsage cars dont just shut off when a pick up tube falls off but i guess my theory doesnt really explain the hard to start and the grindind either
Well if that is the case, the previous owner is to blame. All we did was swap over all the bolt on's and acc's to the new block and installed it. I'm against buying modded engines, but it was a killer deal that my buddy couldn't pass up.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

eeeeww well then who knows what the guy could have done to it...

id do as you said and try to figure out simple things before i go digging into the internals of the engine hopefully it stops there and its someting dumb and not totally f'd up
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Started the car up and it reads 40 psi cold on the gauges (haven't gotten the mechanical gauge yet).
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hydraulic rollers? First sign of really low, or no oil pressure is clattering lifters. If it seems to be running OK, and the lifters aren't clattering, I'd suspect the oil pressure sensor. Any chance that it's wired into the PCM to kill the engine if the oil pressure goes below a certain point?

Sometimes cars do weird things....I used to have a '77 Pontiac T/A. I was out crusing for about an hour one night, nothing crazy of fast, just easy cruising. I get about 500 yards from home, all of a sudden the car starts running rough, and I start to hear engines noises. I look at the oil pressure gauge, and it's almost bottomed out.

I dump in the clutch, kill the ignition, and barely manage to coast into my driveway. I pushed the car by hand back to the garage, but couldn't get it inside, due to the rise of the driveway.

I pull the dipstick, it's full. WTF???

By now it's a little late to start tearing into things, fortunately I had the DD to drive to work the next day. I get home from work, jack up the car, pull the oil filter and cut it open....nothing nasty. OK, now what? I get a new oil filter, fill it up with fresh oil, disconnect the coil wire, spin the engine for a few seconds, the oil pressure gauge starts to rise. Hook the coil back up, start the engine, the gauge flutters for a few seconds, and jumps to 40 lbs. Within another few seconds, the lifters all pumped back up, and the car ran fine for another 9-10 years. I NEVER figured out what happened....
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

So what did you find out?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

I would think the cam bearings are gone if there is no knock.Drop the pan and see how many chunks you find.Could be the drive gear also but then you would not have any press.So pull the intake too,whatever it is you can bet the all of the bearings are shot and the pistons/bores are probably scored as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Cold idle psi means nothing, the oil is much thicker and can "hide" problems such as spun bearings. Let it get hot, I mean 30+ mins of driving (if you can of course) then that is when should get and accurate hot idle psi. If its a bad cam bearing it will cause low pressure mainly at idle and hot. Cold it'll be ok, but once hot its real low. Rod bearings seem to be low everywhere, especially at high rpm's.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well we let it warm up and oil pressure dropped to zero again. Drained the oil and it was pretty silver. So we already tore open the engine bay for a LQ4 swap. We haven't disected the bottom end yet, but I will to find out exactly what went wrong.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

damn that fkn sucks well atleast you have a swap motor laying around now....and yes typically low oil psi indicates a bad cam bearing but when you give it gas just off idle and its fine....cam bearings, but if it has oil pressure at high rpms or anything above idle thats all that counts.lol
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Damn that blows, was this Alex's ride?

I'm having the same low oil pressure problems, usually when I only come to a hard stop it goes down to 5 and my car turns off..showing the "check gauges"
Old 08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHELOZ28
Damn that blows, was this Alex's ride?

I'm having the same low oil pressure problems, usually when I only come to a hard stop it goes down to 5 and my car turns off..showing the "check gauges"
If oil pressure dips upon braking, sounds like your pick up tube fell off.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Damn..I'd be getting some money back. I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

LQ4 Swap is a good one..
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_merv
Damn..I'd be getting some money back. I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

LQ4 Swap is a good one..
LOL. It won't be a stroker like yours.

-stock bottom end
-stock 317 heads (for now)
-MS3 cam
-LT headers
-LS6 intake manifold
-through a T56 and stock 10 bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden loss of oil pressure...