LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

if it aint broke doin't fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default if it aint broke doin't fix it?

usually a good motto right? but what about when it comes to our water pumps? Im about to cam my car and im pretty sure im on the original water pump and im about to hit 100k. its workin pissah right now but should I change it while I've got it out? $ is kinda tight, tryin to go on a vacation too. wwyd? tia
Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well replace all the old part while u at it. Just to be sure.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well to be honest if its working ok then keep it!!! a water pump consits of 6 blts total, 2 gaskets and is not hard to take off and change. put it back on and run it till it dies..get the full life out of it or change it when funds are there..

whatever you do though...if its a dd do NOT do an electric wp!!

there is my 2 cents...
Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Just make sure the impeller bearings are doing well. No squeaking and no rough turning, and your all good.

I replaced mine because its bearing was going and I was changing my opti, AC Delco unit.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jarretthise
well to be honest if its working ok then keep it!!! a water pump consits of 6 blts total, 2 gaskets and is not hard to take off and change. put it back on and run it till it dies..get the full life out of it or change it when funds are there..

whatever you do though...if its a dd do NOT do an electric wp!!

there is my 2 cents...
yeah I want to do some auto cross hopefully next season with it so an ewp is def out.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

I would just replace it while you have it all apart, with 100k on the motor that about the time mine went out on both of the LT1's ive owned
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

mine just went at 129k so you may have a while i would wait didnt take me and a buddy an hour to replace it reading insturctions as i went
Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not all that much work to replace, might as well run it til it goes.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty much to replace it like others said, 6 bolts, 3 hoses, 2 gaskets, and a lil rtv. just have remove one of the fans first to get the clearance out.

if it works I wouldn't sweat it, but set aside some money just incase, you tend to find out things are worse then you thought when parts are actually off the car. things to look for are signs of stains coming from the weep hole and bearings on the backside of it where shaft inserts.

I know when I was doing my cam swap I found out my bearings had actually crapped most of themselves out.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28reggie
mine just went at 129k so you may have a while i would wait didnt take me and a buddy an hour to replace it reading insturctions as i went
damn that would be 3 years for me, I usually put 10k on a summer..and it really isn't all that much work so I think I'll wait for it.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myltwon
pretty much to replace it like others said, 6 bolts, 3 hoses, 2 gaskets, and a lil rtv. just have remove one of the fans first to get the clearance out.

if it works I wouldn't sweat it, but set aside some money just incase, you tend to find out things are worse then you thought when parts are actually off the car. things to look for are signs of stains coming from the weep hole and bearings on the backside of it where shaft inserts.

I know when I was doing my cam swap I found out my bearings had actually crapped most of themselves out.
yeah I'll keep it depending on how it looks of course..I don't have it off yet, I was weary of taking it off last week cause the whole opti thing. tonight I'll attack it
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my waterpump bearing was completely shot after 52,000 miles. some of the ball bearings were missing and you could move the shaft back and forth quite a bit. i couldnt imagine what it would be like at 100k. it worked fine and my engine never over heated. ran fine, but it still was shot and worn out. id replace it
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I waited for my water pump to go, which it started to, right after I installed my opti and put it back together. Take it from me, if your able to easily get to it, and your weep hole is leaking. Just do it. I got my water pump from Bosch, it seemed to be the cheapest good one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

I'm curious why the EWP is out for DDs? and Autocross? I would think the little bit of extra hp would be welcome for Autocrossing? Unless it is in the rules...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
I'm curious why the EWP is out for DDs? and Autocross? I would think the little bit of extra hp would be welcome for Autocrossing? Unless it is in the rules...
I think it has to do with reliability and safety, when an ewp fails it totally fails while a mechanical one will usually still flow some. plus a mechanical one flows more in the upper rpms I believe .. but dont quote me on this, im just going by other peoples advice, all the AX-ers say to avoid an ewp so I will. the peace of mind is worth more than the small amount of hp to be gained to me.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would consider it preventative maintenance, change it, your opti will thank you.