LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why remove the water pump gear when installing electric wp? besides for timing chains

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why remove the water pump gear when installing electric wp? besides for timing chains

Besides changing out timing chains, I still don't understand why I would need to remove the water pump gear when installing the electric water pump. Aren't you just making it more difficult. If the water pump gear no longer has to push that water around and it can move freely isn't that good enough to gain those few horses. Removing the gear can't possible net you more than .025 horses could it? Is there really any benefit in removing the gear besides for installing a different timing chain?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by djm_e22
Besides changing out timing chains, I still don't understand why I would need to remove the water pump gear when installing the electric water pump. Aren't you just making it more difficult. If the water pump gear no longer has to push that water around and it can move freely isn't that good enough to gain those few horses. Removing the gear can't possible net you more than .025 horses could it? Is there really any benefit in removing the gear besides for installing a different timing chain?
You're pretty much right on. If you already have the timeing cover off and you know you'll be switching to an EWP, then it's easy to remove. But if you are just adding an EWP, then you don't have to remove the gear.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
you're pretty much right on. If you already have the timeing cover off and you know you'll be switching to an ewp, then it's easy to remove. But if you are just adding an ewp, then you don't have to remove the gear.
^ +1.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup, i didn't remove it because I knew I wasn't going to mess with the timing for a long time. I'll deal with it when its time to build the motor. I noticed gains without removing it too.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A guy on another site just said "The water pump shaft, without a mechanical water pump installed, will not run stable and good lead to to leaks or even worse, carnage. The mechanical water pump provides the second point of support when attached. The first point of support is the bearing installed in the block." Is this true?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Thats not correct, The only part that makes it "stable" is the area in the block where the shaft is riding in, the splined part that rides on the timming gear and the water pump drive coupler doesnt provide any support.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

I removed mine but the engine was out of the car. It would be too much of a pain to do it if all you're doing is putting on the EWP.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if you don't have to remove it and you aren't going to be going into the timing cover (or ripping the intake manifold off) then I would leave it as is.

Quick Reply: Why remove the water pump gear when installing electric wp? besides for timing chains