LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LT1-LT4 Modifications (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications-31/)
-   -   Accel or Dynaspark opti (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1156640-accel-dynaspark-opti.html)

ale76051 07-31-2009 06:24 PM

Accel or Dynaspark opti

Im looking to buy my third and hopefully last opti, and needed some input. I didn't have any problems with my accel until i did a cam swap and left the dowel too long. so now it misses like crazy and barly runs in the rain. so i was wonderin what would be better, get another accel and save a couple hundred dollars or spend more and get a dynaspark opti whichs comes with a warranty and is fully water proof??

thanks for any advice

RamAir95TA 07-31-2009 06:26 PM

Neither.

Go with an OEM AC Delco optispark from "thepartsladi" on eBay.

ale76051 07-31-2009 06:32 PM

how does it compare

ss.slp.ls1 07-31-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA (Post 11999430)
Neither.

Go with an OEM AC Delco optispark from "thepartsladi" on eBay.

+1. Just be sure to thread lock the rotor screws.

jarretthise 07-31-2009 08:00 PM

there is nothing wrong with a dynaspark unit what so ever...

do not use accel whatever you do though!! pure junk and prone to failure

killagt 07-31-2009 08:01 PM

Dont use the one from auto part either, even it come with lifetime, my friend corvett change out 4 time in 1 year .

gregrob 07-31-2009 09:11 PM

I dont agree with "neither". The stock POS opti is nowhere NEAR in the same league as the dynaspark.

I dont know why suddenly the "best" opti is a brand new one that is identical to the flawed pos GM hung on the front of the motor in the first place..

The dynaspark unit is better in every way, and most of the time when you hear someone put them down, it comes from people who dont even own one...

On the other hand there have been a steady stream of failures here lately it seems from the Delphi, and from the beloved ebay "partsladi" in particular.

If I was short on cash I'd put a stock opti back in, but if you can afford do the Dynaspark and dont look back. If it wont hold up, nothing will. Every single part of it is re-engineered to correct the shortcomings of the OEM piece.

Love mine..

robsquikz28 07-31-2009 10:32 PM

gm, delphi or dynapark only

1993 z28 f1 08-01-2009 01:08 AM

Hey:

The GM opti is good, but not as good as a Dynaspark, IMHO.

The GM opti is just a better deal as the price difference, may not be worth it, if it is not the last one you buy for a very long time.

Its not just the opti cost that figures in, as its the time down and hassle of having to do it again that really counts, as you already know.

Just make sure you loctite the rotor screws, silicone seal the cap, as it can't hurt if done right.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

96capricemgr 08-01-2009 05:24 AM

From what I have seen the stock opti and the dynaspark are both reliable. IMO a HUGE number of the "stock opti is crap" posts come from incompetence or neglect.

I have put over 200K on my optis and all three cars were bought used, the "low mileage one sitting at 145K miles. Never had an opti failure in the 9.5 years I have been driving them. Had ONE case where the cap and rotor got worn enough to make the car run bad in the rain, was sealed well but the humid air through the vent was enough to scatter the spark.

I also think much of the "dynaspark is the ultimate" comes from folks who spent that money and have to defend that decision. It certainly is a good piece but I don't see how in actual practice that it is vastly better than a GM opti.
People get too hung up on the marketing information, I tend to look for real world results.

On another forum a guy posted about literally pop rivetting the rotor on a stock opti and turning it to 8500rpms, yet the ignorant kids around here would have you belive one trip to 4500 and it is all over.

shbox 08-01-2009 07:30 AM

They said the MSD was "better in every way", too. :D I've seen threads with Dynaspark failures, as well. If they are all going to fail, getting the best for the price may be not a bad thing to do. That seems to be the OEM version right now.

aboatguy 08-01-2009 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr (Post 12001159)
From what I have seen the stock opti and the dynaspark are both reliable. IMO a HUGE number of the "stock opti is crap" posts come from incompetence or neglect.

I have put over 200K on my optis and all three cars were bought used, the "low mileage one sitting at 145K miles. Never had an opti failure in the 9.5 years I have been driving them. Had ONE case where the cap and rotor got worn enough to make the car run bad in the rain, was sealed well but the humid air through the vent was enough to scatter the spark.

I also think much of the "dynaspark is the ultimate" comes from folks who spent that money and have to defend that decision. It certainly is a good piece but I don't see how in actual practice that it is vastly better than a GM opti.
People get too hung up on the marketing information, I tend to look for real world results.

On another forum a guy posted about literally pop rivetting the rotor on a stock opti and turning it to 8500rpms, yet the ignorant kids around here would have you belive one trip to 4500 and it is all over.

I agree that the 2nd generation STOCK OPTI is an outstanding piece of engineering

(157,000 miles on the opti in my Impala SS. )
I replaced the opti on my corvette a couple of years ago, however, there was nothing wrong with the OPTI I did it during a cam change out of ignorance (I believed all the hype about the inevetiablity of failure)

The replacement (OEM) OPTI hits 6800+ everyday with zero issues and has been above 7K more than once.

Now the first gen OPTI may be a different story.

Mike

Elliott's94Z 08-01-2009 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ramair95ta (Post 11999430)
neither.

Go with an oem ac delco optispark from "thepartsladi" on ebay.

+2....

Puck 08-01-2009 12:54 PM

I am a big fan of OEM opti base's with MSD cap and rotors.

The optical portion of an opti is acutally made by mitsubishi and runs flawlessly in different vehicles without problems. When installed properly and vented, the can last hundreds of thousands of miles like they do in the "taxi's". The cap and rotor on the other hand is rather frail. Say what you will about the MSD opti base, but the cap and rotor is clearly a far superior piece(except for the first batch whose rotor screws tended to back out, but should have been locktited anyway!).

I would pick up an OEM unit from thepartsladi, get an MSD cap and rotor for aroun $150, locktite the rotor, and you'll be good to go for much less then a dynaspark MSD, or coil conversion.

I ran my OEM base/MSD cap+rotor for ~7K miles in all sorts of crazy FL weather with no problem, and it was still working perfect when I tore the car down. The car spent a lot of time at the track as well, and saw frequent WOT runs :).

SS MPSTR 08-02-2009 02:10 PM

Happy with the dynaspark here too.