LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No Crank Condition: Possibly Fuel Related

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank Condition: Possibly Fuel Related

Info on the car.

1997 Z28 M6. LE2 heads, LE2.2 cam, Pacesetter LTs, LE Ported intake, BBK 58mm TB, K&N FIPK CAI, Delphi 37 lb/hr injectors, Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump with Racetronix Plug n Play wiring harness, AC Delco opti, new ICM & coil. All the components listed were bought new & have 50 miles on them.

I've had the car running great for a while. Car ran strong. Put 50 miles on the car breakin the motor. I noticed I had an oil leak & decided to check under the car to see where it was. I jacked the car up crawled under there & began my inspection. As I am looking around, I notice that the hot wire from the Racetronix wiring harness has fell onto the passenger side header & partially melted ( you could see exposed wire). I removed the wire from the header. I crawl back out from under there, hook the battery & try to fire the car up. With the ignition ON, I could hear the fuel pump prime up then stop after 2 seconds. I tried to crank it. Car cranked for 2 seconds then died. When I would try to crank it again, it would just turn over & not try to fire. When I stopped cranking it over it would try to diesel a couple of times.

I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge & checked the fuel at prime. Goes up to 40 PSI & holds. When I crank the car over, the pressure shoots up to 50 PSI then goes down to about 30 when you stop cranking it. Car would not attempt to start.

I cut the bad section of the wire out & spliced together the remaining wire with a 10 gauge butt splice. Tried everything again. Same results.
-I checked for spark & I have it.
- I checked the coil continuity & it showed 8250 ohms.
- I even swapped out the opti with another working unit. Same results.
-Checked EVERY fuse. None were blown.

I checked the fuel pressure with the gauge one more time. The last time I tried it whenI turned the ignition to the ON position the pump would stay running & would hold 50 PSI.

Is it possible that when the wire burnt through, it increased the resistance of the wire thus increasing the current going to the relay to the point that it fried it? Could it have fried the pump? Any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump.