LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are the GMPP Fast Burns heads better the LT4 Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are the GMPP Fast Burns heads better the LT4 Heads?

Guys,

I read in the Sept. 2009 issue Chevy High Performance, in the Q&A section, that the current Fast Burn heads from GMPP are really an as cast version of the CNC-ported LT4 cylinder heads.

So much better are the Fast Burns to the LT4?

Do you think that they would be a good part of a LT1/LT4 build after a conversion to reverse cooling??
Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B'klyn9C1
Guys,

I read in the Sept. 2009 issue Chevy High Performance, in the Q&A section, that the current Fast Burn heads from GMPP are really an as cast version of the CNC-ported LT4 cylinder heads.

Do you think that they would be a good part of a LT1/LT4 build after a conversion to reverse cooling??
I think it would be a waste.

If you are considering converting SBC heads to reverse flow for an LTX, they better be some sick big runner RHS, SB2.2, Brodix, or other high performance race heads to sit on top a nasty solid roller stroker.

For anything else, there are already plenty of options that would be better ways to spend your money .
Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,

Despite what you will read on here, the LT4 heads actually perform pretty well when compared to stock LT1 heads. Ported they will make big HP.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I would have the stockers you already ported before I spent the money on buying and then converting fastburn heads. If you already had LT4 heads, then all the better to port...but neither are worth buying over your stockers.

If you were starting from a clean slate and could get LT4s for a good price somehow then it would be a good route to take, but if you already have LT1 heads then even LT4s wouldn't really justify the cost...never mind spending the money to buy then converting mild heads like the fastburns.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
I would have the stockers you already ported before I spent the money on buying and then converting fastburn heads. If you already had LT4 heads, then all the better to port...but neither are worth buying over your stockers.
I agree that it is not worth the effort to convert Fastburn heads, but only because the LT4s already fit and won't take much to make similar power.

If you were starting from a clean slate and could get LT4s for a good price somehow then it would be a good route to take, but if you already have LT1 heads then even LT4s wouldn't really justify the cost
Wouldn't that depend on the OP's budget and performance goals?

...never mind spending the money to buy then converting mild heads like the fastburns.
What experience do you have with this? The Fastburns are awsome right out of the box. Lots of low ten second IHRA Stock Eliminator cars are running this head.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I asked this is that they alledgedly took the LT4 heads further ported them, tested them and digitized them and then used that tooling model as the new as cast Fast Burn heads with conventional SBC water passages.

I was wondering if GMPP really made substantial improvements to LT4.

If those improvements are real??

What are the effects on performance as compared to the LT4??

Can those improvements be gotten by other means??

Last edited by B'klyn9C1; 08-28-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I agree that it is not worth the effort to convert Fastburn heads, but only because the LT4s already fit and won't take much to make similar power.

Wouldn't that depend on the OP's budget and performance goals?

What experience do you have with this? The Fastburns are awsome right out of the box. Lots of low ten second IHRA Stock Eliminator cars are running this head.
The OP is not making a stock eliminator caprice...now that I think about it last I read I think he was actually thinking of an LSX swap.

The fast burns are good heads out of the box and if you are starting from scratch on a SBC, I just think they are not good enough for an LTX to purchase and then convert them, when ported stockers would reach the same performance for cheaper. They flow what, around 265cfm or so? Then you have to deal with the SBC oriented big chambers that would lower CR...I just do not think it would be worth the hassle for an LTX. He would be looking at around 2 grand to get them working on his LTX, and for that he could do a lot better.

I'm sure there are also a lot of SE cars running 10s on stock LTX heads too, but that doesnt mean they are good for street cars .
Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

I was wondering if GMPP really made substantial improvements to LT4.
If you want to compare flow numbers the answer would be yes.

If those improvements are real??
Yes.

Can those improvements be gotten by other means?
Again, yes. But converting Fastburns is a bad idea when compared to porting, LT4, and most of the aftermarket heads. It all goes back to the question of goals and budget.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
The OP is not making a stock eliminator caprice
I'm not sure why you posted that. My Stock Eliminator reference was in regards to performance potential.

...now that I think about it last I read I think he was actually thinking of an LSX swap.
What does that have to do with this thread?

The fast burns are good heads out of the box and if you are starting from scratch on a SBC, I just think they are not good enough for an LTX to purchase and then convert them, when ported stockers would reach the same performance for cheaper. They flow what, around 265cfm or so? Then you have to deal with the SBC oriented big chambers that would lower CR...I just do not think it would be worth the hassle for an LTX. He would be looking at around 2 grand to get them working on his LTX, and for that he could do a lot better.
Agreed (again).

I'm sure there are also a lot of SE cars running 10s on stock LTX heads too, but that doesnt mean they are good for street cars .
What does that have to do with anything?

Quick Reply: Are the GMPP Fast Burns heads better the LT4 Heads?