LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Why would you bore and line hone if it is in spec?

A good hone with torque plates will take out any irregularities. if you can lay a straight edge across the saddle of the mains and its in spec why would you line hone a block.
+1 I didn't get a line hone
Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at purchasing the federal mogul rebuild kit from summit. It is around $600 and comes with everything I will need to freshen the engine up.

If I don't need a line hone, how much am I looking at spending for machine work?

I'm also looking at buying the le2 heads. How much better would these flow than if I were to get my stock heads ported? Would the stock heads be sufficient for what I plan on doing?

I haven't decided on a camshaft selection yet. I am looking at the cc503. Would this be a good choice for me? I would like to be around high 11's with a 100 shot when all said and done. The car is driven daily and needs to pass emsissions.

I'm just going to put a shift kit in the trans for now and try and save some money. As far as a converter goes, I would like to try and find one in the classifieds section.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Lucas
Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're gonna spend at least $1000 on machine work if it is from a quality shop
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
You're gonna spend at least $1000 on machine work if it is from a quality shop
wha? for block prep alone?

I spent $450 for deck, hot tank, bore, hone, freeze plugs, cam bearings. my block was prepped by one of the most reputable local machine shops.

I could understand this estimate if you're also including line hone, balancing, assembly
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
I am looking at purchasing the federal mogul rebuild kit from summit. It is around $600 and comes with everything I will need to freshen the engine up.

If I don't need a line hone, how much am I looking at spending for machine work?

I'm also looking at buying the le2 heads. How much better would these flow than if I were to get my stock heads ported? Would the stock heads be sufficient for what I plan on doing?

I haven't decided on a camshaft selection yet. I am looking at the cc503. Would this be a good choice for me? I would like to be around high 11's with a 100 shot when all said and done. The car is driven daily and needs to pass emsissions.

I'm just going to put a shift kit in the trans for now and try and save some money. As far as a converter goes, I would like to try and find one in the classifieds section.

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Lucas
le2's are stock casting heads that are hand ported and have upgraded valves and valve springs. honestly, if you are going with lloyd for heads, just get a cam from him too. he can spec out an emissions friendly cam that will make power in your rpm range. making good power, driving everyday, and passing emissions is asking alot just so you know.