LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is your LT1 nightmare? What do yo HATE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your LT1 nightmare? What do yo HATE!

Whether it's a bolt, a nut or a pipe, I'm sure everyone of us hates doing at least one thing on our cars, but there's gotta be something that you hate doing the MOST, you did it many times already but you keep cursing every time you do it, what is it ?

Here's 2 of mine :

1- That ******* bolt on the bellhousing (Driver side, second one up) , it's so damn close to the frame I can't fit any socket on, everytime I curse non stop while taking it off. How do guys deal with that stupid bolt?

2- There are 3 bolts that hold the engine mount braket onto the block on the driver side, the first one towards the front of the car is "IMPOSSIBLE" to take off because it TOUCHES the the long bolt that goes inside the mount while unbolting it, you can only take it half way out, it's a bitch taking it off and if you try the other way around (Taking the long mount bolt off) it will ALSO touch that damn bolt, just a bitch every God damn time I do it.

Share your LT1 nightmare please.

Last edited by powerhousecamaro; 09-01-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
Whether it's a bolt, a nut or a pipe, I'm sure everyone of us hates doing at least one thing on our cars, but there's gotta be something that you hate doing the MOST, you did it many times already but you keep cursing every time you do it, which is it ?

Here's 2 of mine :

1- That ******* bolt on the bellhousing (Driver side, second one up) , it's so damn close to the frame I can't fit any socket on, everytime I curse non stop while taking it off. How do guys deal with that stupid bolt?

2- There are 3 bolts that hold the engine mount braket onto the block on the driver side, the first one towards the front of the car is "IMPOSSIBLE" to take off because it TOUCHES the the long bolt that goes inside the mount while unbolting it, you can only take it half way out, it's a bitch taking it off and if you try the other way around (Taking the long mount bolt off) it will ALSO touch that damn bolt, just a bitch every God damn time I do it.

Share your LT1 nightmare please.
1.) A 4 ft. extension, drop the transmission cross-member, and a wobbler.

2.) I forget, but I managed. Hahah.

My biggest problem was the motor mount clamshell. For some reason, cutting off the rivets on BOTH sides didn't seperate them. Took me 2 or 3 hours of grinding, cutting, prying, etc., to get them apart.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hate the top transmission line right now because mine leaks after I installed my ss3600. I cant get a wrench on it without dropping the tranny.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one word......................HEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PIT FA
Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Teh steam pipe banjo bolts
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fact that Z28Camaro30Ann owns one!!! And insists on working on it himself!!!!!

The pos is sitting beside the road in our town right now!

Lol jk CORY

P.S. The cops really did tow it, because a dump truck ran into it
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I really hate the top transmission line right now because mine leaks after I installed my ss3600. I cant get a wrench on it without dropping the tranny.
Yeah that thing is a b****, probaly my most hated part of the car in recent memory. I made the same mistake I'm assuming you did, not connecting those damn things before sticking the trans back in. Be careful with them they are so easy to strip probaly best to use a pipe wrench based off my experience.

Plug changes use to drive me nuts until I deleted the A/C, AIR, and EGR and now they take just a couple minutes. The Banjo bolts are a real PITA too and basically everything under the cowl like the last header bolts, head bolts, etc.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Yeah that thing is a b****, probaly my most hated part of the car in recent memory. I made the same mistake I'm assuming you did, not connecting those damn things before sticking the trans back in. Be careful with them they are so easy to strip probaly best to use a pipe wrench based off my experience.

Plug changes use to drive me nuts until I deleted the A/C, AIR, and EGR and now they take just a couple minutes. The Banjo bolts are a real PITA too and basically everything under the cowl like the last header bolts, head bolts, etc.
Im gonna get a set of crowes feet for my ratchet that should make that a piece of cake I hope. I actually hooked them up before bolting in the tranny just didnt snug them good enough.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap. Nobody said opti yet?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^ I was thinkin the same lol!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
The fact that Z28Camaro30Ann owns one!!! And insists on working on it himself!!!!!

The pos is sitting beside the road in our town right now!

Lol jk CORY

P.S. The cops really did tow it, because a dump truck ran into it
thats icing on the cake. wow hopefully your joking...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Holy crap. Nobody said opti yet?
Hehe, yeah I was waiting to see who's gonna say it first. In my opinion, opti is a time issue, nothing too complicated. Not saying it's not a nightmare though.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Opti is simple as bitch.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also sometimes ask myself : "Why the hell did they do it this way when they could have done it the other way" ..

Example !? No problem here's one for ya: A fuel pump DOOR in the trunk. WTF . Is that hard to do while producing them?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Well something i just found out... I contacted the place that made the headers and asked me "Do you have angle plug heads?" I replied yes. I'm still awaiting answer. And yes if thats what the problem, then the headers are FTMFW over here.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

friggin drink holder in a m6 car!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

laying on your back, dropping the steering column and all the rediculous amount of connectors associated with it, just to pull the pedals out from under the dash.

not a common issue unless you swap back and forth between an auto and a stick.

the AIR tube that snakes around the accessory bracket, under the front cover and back to the driver's side.
yeah, I know, it only lasted 2 seconds after my LT install, but it was a bitch to get out without some persuasion.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Steam tube bolts and the 6 & 8 plugs. I can rip through 1,2,3,4,5,7 like it's no ones business with a SLP short socket, but 6 and 8 always kick my *** and take for ever. Every thing is else is just work, maybe more work then it should be, but nothing really tough.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Default What is your LT1 nightmare? What do yo HATE!

Whiny threads like this, LOL! Every vehicle has some tricky maintenance issues. You use your ingenuity, gain knowledge, improve your skills or you learn to deal.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
Whiny threads like this, LOL! Every vehicle has some tricky maintenance issues. You use your ingenuity, gain knowledge, improve your skills or you learn to deal.
I have to say, for all the crap 4th gens (all years) get for being tough to work on, I've found them to be actually pretty damn easy. There are some things that you have to learn how to deal with (the bellhousing bolt mentioned above for example - not bad with 4 feet of extension and a swivel socket), but over all I've never run into anything that really stopped me for long or forced me to take the car to a shop.

Thinking back, out of ALL the things I've had to do on my car, the biggest pain in the *** was probably pulling the old pilot bearing out/putting new one in. It took an hour with a slide hammer to get the old one out (first tried the wheel bearing grease displacement trick, no luck - made a huge mess), then the new one was so difficult to get installed that it deformed the i.d. so that the input shaft wouldn't go through it. Then I had to mess around pulling THAT one out and figure out a new way to put the next one in (used a ball peen hammer placed against the i.d. of the bushing and another hammer against that to tap it in).

Quick Reply: What is your LT1 nightmare? What do yo HATE!