LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Misfire, I'm SICK and TIRED of it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire, I'm SICK and TIRED of it!!!

This has been going on for god knows how long... Misfiring, choppy idle, no low end, cuts out at high end, take off is sluggish, feels like a HUGE loss of power (barely chirp second).

Well i was near a friend's shop today so i decided to throw my car up on a lift to see wtf is making it misfire so much... Well to no surprise i found that the number 2 cylinder's plug wire boot was torn at the opti. I replaced it many painstaking moments later due to the manifolds being EXTREMELY hot (not to mention i burned every part of my body on those stupid things)... When i got in the car to start it up it ran AMAZING! Now after it warmed up to operating temps, it started missing again... Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the boots with a water mist in the dark. Something else is probably arcing, that probably wasnt the only one..
Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep...usually when there is one wire fault there's another. I'd replace ALL the wires with some good MSD 8.5mms.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

What year is the car? Have tried unplugging the o2 sensors? Its sounds like that could be the problem now that its running rough after its warmed up. You can also unplug your Mass air flow sensor. If the problem goes away when you unplug these given sensors there is your problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

also this summer after my car would warm up I sometimes would get a random missfire. I did the "ICM cooling mod" and its never did it again after that. Its easy to do and would IMO be worthwhile.

There is a write-up on how to do it. Pretty straight forward. http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html
You'll have to scroll pretty way down its under the PCM wiring diagrams
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Im in the same boat guys.. Anybody ever had any problems with wires popping off at all. I have a misfire and last time it was because the back two cyl's wires were loose.. BTW I have msd 8.5's.. I need help should i just replace the wires or look elsewhere for the misfire problem.. Right when you punch ot off the line it hesitates and misses then it comes out of it and clears up
any ideas
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem when i put my longtubes on. It turns out 3 of my wires melted to the headers in different places. I replaced them with taylors and heat wrapped all the wires with header wrap and havnt had the problem since
Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Staging Lane

look for arcing at night...also check your coil to see if it is arcing...that was my problem. The "bar" that surrounds it was loose and arcing...and I replaced my plug wires...

Quick Reply: Misfire, I'm SICK and TIRED of it!!!