LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I am starting to think it might be time for a different cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am starting to think it might be time for a different cam

Alright I have been looking over options and LE is a great one for heads but I really think I am going to grab my spare set of heads depending on casting numbers (I have to look up again which ones are bad) and just run the LT4 Valve sizes and port them myself.

However while the GM847 seems to do well at the track I am worried maybe its not the cam to really push me into the numbers I want to see out of my LT1 355. I want to get as close to 450 at the wheels before Nitrous as possible.

Now am I just concerned for nothing after looking at some of the dyno thread posts or is there something better for me.

I am also going for the thinner head gaskets as I stayed stock compression in my build. I am worried about the heat here going to high on 91 pump gas. So the thinner head gasket should be perfect but whats everyone's feelings on how reliable they are?

As always thanks for the time to shoot around idea's and concerns.

Also its an M6 with 3.73 Gears.

Last edited by Cross; 09-19-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross
Alright I have been looking over options and LE is a great on for heads but I really think I am going to grab my spare set of heads depending on casting numbers (I have to look up again which ones are bad) and just run the LT4 Valve sizes and port them myself.

However while the GM847 seems to do well at the track I am worried maybe its not the cam to really push me into the numbers I want to see out of my LT1 355. I want to get as close to 450 at the wheels before Nitrous as possible.

Now am I just concerned for nothing after looking at some of the dyno thread posts or is there something better for me.

I am also going for the thinner head gaskets as I stayed stock compression in my build. I am worried about the heat here going to high on 91 pump gas. So the thinner head gasket should be perfect but whats everyone's feelings on how reliable they are?

As always thanks for the time to shoot around idea's and concerns.
I suggest you ditch/sell your current valvetrain package and go with a new heads/cam package designed with your goals in mind as it's very likely you won't see anywhere near 450whp (A4 OR M6, you don't specify). Let AI or LE piece together the package for you instead of relying on guesswork.

Compression shouldn't be a concern as long as you have a good tune. I'm running 12.5:1 static compression on 93 octane (the GM manual recommends nothing less than 92, so you shouldn't be using 91 in the first place) on a mail-order tune with zero KR. Thin head gaskets are plenty reliable, not sure why you would think otherwise. Just make sure the heads are torqued properly.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thats all they sell at the pumps here but I do mix in Xylene.

Its a M6 and while I don't mind the packages I would rather get the experience myself this time around. This is a fun street car and while I have a goal I am not going to loose sleep because I did not get it my first try.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you get some heads that flow killer. Its gonna be very very hard to make that kind of power.
The LE cams seem to be making great power if your just looking for a different cam. Have Lloyd custom grind you something.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

I doubt I will but it never hurts to aim high.... unless your Mr. Dick C... then you can blame it on your buddy lol.

I was thinking about asking LE as well. He really does seem to be the end all for these builds... I wonder if he ever gets annoyed with all the questions he must hear quite often.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats all they sell at the pumps here but I do mix in Xylene.

Its a M6 and while I don't mind the packages I would rather get the experience myself this time around. This is a fun street car and while I have a goal I am not going to loose sleep because I did not get it my first try.
You asked how to make 450whp, so that's what I suggested for you. You didn't mention that falling short was an option as well. There is a BIG difference in 450whp versus 420whp.

Which one is it?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

I doubt I will but it never hurts to aim high.... unless your Mr. Dick C... then you can blame it on your buddy lol.

I was thinking about asking LE as well. He really does seem to be the end all for these builds... I wonder if he ever gets annoyed with all the questions he must hear quite often.
He always seems very excited to talk cams and help even if he doesnt sell you something.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

I vouch for Lloyd being an enthusiast before being a vendor.

He will give you all the advise you need and more, even if you are not going to be grinding a custom cam and just looking at your options or want to learn.

When Dart make that 427 most are eagerly waiting, LE will be doing the heads and cam for my engine.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

I do not mind falling short my goal is 450 with my hard work but frankly so long as I am breaking 520 with the 100 shot who cares. lol.

I just set it as a goal personally but I did not say I Must or its a firm its just what my goal what i would like to do is. Who wouldn't like 450NA from a mildly modded LT

I will give him a call then, I always worry about annoying people when they have a job to do.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

440rwhp has been done with a GM847. Let us remember though, 450 is just a number.

I can also say Lloyd is by far the best person I've dealt with in the racing world to date. He doesnt just sell stuff like most people do.

-Dustin-
Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

I think Ill call Lloyd and ask him about a SR set up for my car.

Quick Reply: I am starting to think it might be time for a different cam