LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Emissions Legal 383 Cam Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Legal 383 Cam Recommendations?

Hello all,

I'm looking for an emissions legal cam for a 383 build in a 93 Firehawk. I'll most likely use AS&M shorty headers and will probably use stock castings for the heads.......not sure I will spend money on port work right now or not.

The motor has to pass DE emissions which is a sniff test at idle/2500 and a visual check for the converter. Obviously I'd like to make as much power as possible but 400 RWHP seems like a fair number.

Car as 3:73 gears, 4 inch Mufflex cat back, 2000 stall and 275/40/17 drag radials and has been 13.21 in the 1/4. An 11 second timeslip N/A would be nice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Rumblin70ss; 09-23-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lunati 60121
Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

custom LE cam

www.elliottsportworks.com
Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It's a little unrealistic to hit 400rwhp with stock exhaust including cats if you run an emissions legal cam even if you have a 383. You would have a far greater advantage to use a quality top end package on the stock short block. If you were to do a cam only on a 383 it would feel like a beast until midrange RPM when it would fall flat. The torque curve would look like a TPI motor. If you are going to do heads and need a emissions legal cam if it were me I'd go with the LPE 211/219 and LPE's CNC ported heads. Not sure what kind of power you would make through stock exhaust, but your torque would be monsterous. I used this setup on a stock block w/ all emissions legal equip in place and did 350rwhp/350rwtq. Ran a best of 12.6 @ 110 full weight and 4.10 gears. It passed e-check as if it were stock.
The only catch to this kind of cam, especially on a 383 is the idle will be smooth as stock and the power band will follow the same characteristics as stock, but at a higher level.
A friend of mine used this cam with his GTP ported heads years ago on a 383 with Mac shorty headers, no cats and a 4" Mufflex and did 390rwhp and 410rwtq, however was never able to take it to the track.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's a little unrealistic to hit 400rwhp with stock exhaust including cats if you run an emissions legal cam even if you have a 383. You would have a far greater advantage to use a quality top end package on the stock short block. If you were to do a cam only on a 383 it would feel like a beast until midrange RPM when it would fall flat. The torque curve would look like a TPI motor. If you are going to do heads and need a emissions legal cam if it were me I'd go with the LPE 211/219 and LPE's CNC ported heads. Not sure what kind of power you would make through stock exhaust, but your torque would be monsterous. I used this setup on a stock block w/ all emissions legal equip in place and did 350rwhp/350rwtq. Ran a best of 12.6 @ 110 full weight and 4.10 gears. It passed e-check as if it were stock.
The only catch to this kind of cam, especially on a 383 is the idle will be smooth as stock and the power band will follow the same characteristics as stock, but at a higher level.
A friend of mine used this cam with his GTP ported heads years ago on a 383 with Mac shorty headers, no cats and a 4" Mufflex and did 390rwhp and 410rwtq, however was never able to take it to the track.
X2 on the Lingenfelter 211/219...Its got .533/.560lift with 1.6s and is on a 112 lsa..I ran this cam for years in my 383, ran high 11s/low 12s, passed MDs strict emissions tests every year with no problems..Its idles with a slight hey-its-got-a-cam-in-there- chop and great to DD with, too...I had it with a Vig 3600 converter and the combo was very nice...

--Alan
Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. LT1's are all new to me so I wasn't sure what the HP should be, but I agree the 400 rwhp number looks to be unreasonable with my setup. Once I get it back and inspected, I might do something different with the exhaust.

I wish I could do just a top end at this point, but something in the motor let go and its being pulled and gone through in the coming weeks.

I totally agree the heads should be done, otherwise its a waste to build a 383. I was just trying to save some time/money right now and do the heads later.

Your friend did come close to the number I was looking for with just an elimination of the cats, so I might not be too far off.

Would this combo needed to be tuned to get it through insepction? Keep in mind its a 'chip' car.

The challenge is the car is being done in Florida and will be driven back to Delaware once its done. I'd like to get it inspected right away and then play with it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tony Z
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ABA383
X2 on the Lingenfelter 211/219...Its got .533/.560lift with 1.6s and is on a 112 lsa..I ran this cam for years in my 383, ran high 11s/low 12s, passed MDs strict emissions tests every year with no problems..Its idles with a slight hey-its-got-a-cam-in-there- chop and great to DD with, too...I had it with a Vig 3600 converter and the combo was very nice...

--Alan
Alan,

Thanks again for your input. This seems like a good cam and would put me within reach of the ET goal and emissions compliance. What other mods did you do to reach the low 11 second timeslip?

Tony Z
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty much any cam is gonna want a tune to pass emissions I would imagine.

cc503 would be another decent option but personally I'd go custom so you can go as big as possible and leave as little power on the table from an emissions friendly setup. Lloyd has many smog friendly cams he could recommend you I imagine. a custom LE cam isn't much more than an off-the-shelf cam.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin70ss
Alan,

Thanks again for your input. This seems like a good cam and would put me within reach of the ET goal and emissions compliance. What other mods did you do to reach the low 11 second timeslip?

Tony Z
I actually had a custom cam ground by Joe Overton thru Erson...I moved to PA where theres no sniffer test but still wanted to go smallish for drivability...Its a 226/234 .568" lift on a 111 lsa...The heads are LT1 stock castings ported by Lingenfelter and Eric Bardby...2.00/1.56 valves, etc...Its all done N/A on pump gas that I drive everywhere...I can PM the specs on the whole set up...Its all simple, but the devil's in the details...

--Alan
Old 09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ABA383
I actually had a custom cam ground by Joe Overton thru Erson...I moved to PA where theres no sniffer test but still wanted to go smallish for drivability...Its a 226/234 .568" lift on a 111 lsa...The heads are LT1 stock castings ported by Lingenfelter and Eric Bardby...2.00/1.56 valves, etc...Its all done N/A on pump gas that I drive everywhere...I can PM the specs on the whole set up...Its all simple, but the devil's in the details...

--Alan
If you can PM me, that would be great. The LT1 is all new to me, so the more quality info I can get, the better.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myltwon
pretty much any cam is gonna want a tune to pass emissions I would imagine.

cc503 would be another decent option but personally I'd go custom so you can go as big as possible and leave as little power on the table from an emissions friendly setup. Lloyd has many smog friendly cams he could recommend you I imagine. a custom LE cam isn't much more than an off-the-shelf cam.
I thought a base tune was going to be like $500.00. It looks like they are much cheaper than that and I'm not trying to set the world on fire.

I'm going to talk to the engine builder this week and see what his ideas are, then give LLoyd a call. I have heard alot of good things about him on here and it wouldn't hurt to discuss my plans and HP goals.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Just want to throw out there that you will need a larger stall converter. Most cams will require atleast a 2500+ stall speed but the biggest thing is that a small stall like that will not optimize a setup and won't get you near the 11's which is what your goal is. A nice 3000+ (whatever matches your setup the best) will allow the car to haul!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Just want to throw out there that you will need a larger stall converter. Most cams will require atleast a 2500+ stall speed but the biggest thing is that a small stall like that will not optimize a setup and won't get you near the 11's which is what your goal is. A nice 3000+ (whatever matches your setup the best) will allow the car to haul!
Not a problem, I appreciate the advice. If I need to swap out the converter it shouldn't be an issue. I don't want to say money isn't a problem, but I'll spend it if I need to.

Your car looks familiar! LOL

Tony
Old 09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Lunati 60121
What he said.

Quick Reply: Emissions Legal 383 Cam Recommendations?