LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Z28, Dumb Noob Questions (I searched)

Old 09-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z28, Dumb Noob Questions (I searched)

Doing up all the maintenance items, getting it 100%, first mod is going to be a GMMG catback, but I have a few questions about the process,

Is there any cutting or welding required to instal a catback or is it bolt off bolt on? I've done exhaust work before, just never on an F-Body.

I want a GMMG bad, my only concern is what it will sound like after Longtubes are installed. I've listened to the two sound clips on ls1sounds but they arent really enough. I just don't want $400 headers to make my $750 exhaust sound like *** all of a sudden (like the loudmouth for instance). Does the GMMG retain its sexiness?

About the car for those who care, it's an A4 (it's a DD, I can't stand manuals in the Tacoma traffic, its heinous), 4k miles on a new motor, dealer installed. OG motor went out when the radiator failed, so the whole motor, cooling system and opti (i made sure on that one, haha) were replaced, it runs really strong. Has 140k on the rest of the parts, my plan is to just drive it and as things start to need rebuilds, beef them up. So when the tranny goes Ill get a built on, when the rear end goes Ill get a 9", etc...

All stock minus the wheels and a Viper Alarm/Remote start system.

Oh, another stupid question, the t-tops. I've heard of them flying off at highway speeds, do they need to be fully locked or just latched to be "secure"?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

my black car has the GMMG with LT's and no cats... To me I like the sound, and I get compliments regularly, but to each his own.. If you are picky on the exhaust note than I would go with a different catback to leave room to grow.. that is if you don't want headers with the GMMG...

Worse comes to worse you can sell the GMMG and get what you want after you find that you don't like the sound after headers..
Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Rockstar

All I have to say is I like your wheels, Y2K's rock.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

TTops just need to be latched, not locked (they fly off because people forget to latch them) i have a GMMG with Corsa tips i might be interested in parting ways with if the price is right... PM me an offer if your interested
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

That's good to know, I didn't want to have to lock and unlock them all the time.

In an effort of market research, the TSP Rumbler sounds pretty good too, but it says LT1 cars need an adaptor? Can anyone speak on this?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

headers, no cats with GMMG is too loud and sounds like an old truck with no mufflers. However with everything stock and the cat-back only sounds great! I would go with a borla before a GMMG...
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 94 A4 z28 that i just put a GMMG on not to long ago and it sounds good, loud when you want it to be but its tame when ur not hot doggin it. I get compliments about the sound i love it as for drone not really except at high way speed if RPMs are over 2000 but personally i love the drone sound esp with GMMG i just cant get enough of it. You wont regret it and yea you will need the slp adaptor kit depending on your year i had to get because I bought mine used.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Launching!

lucky you, replacement motors are 4bolt mains aren't they
Old 09-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1 Z/28
I've got a 94 A4 z28 that i just put a GMMG on not to long ago and it sounds good, loud when you want it to be but its tame when ur not hot doggin it. I get compliments about the sound i love it as for drone not really except at high way speed if RPMs are over 2000 but personally i love the drone sound esp with GMMG i just cant get enough of it. You wont regret it and yea you will need the slp adaptor kit depending on your year i had to get because I bought mine used.
So you need the $70 SLP adaptor for a GMMG too?

What if I just replace the muffler, like get a magnaflow drop in or something, anyone done that before and liked it? I just don't want to spend a ton of money because I'm pretty sure when I do LT's ill get a true dual setup.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would go ahead and do longtubes if i were you. And do the td's at the same time. Save yourself on shipping.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea if you plan on doing true duals then i would just do that insted of buying a catback then headers and selling the catback later on lol. But if you decide to keep the catback hooked up to the headers then i would swap out the entire catback because changing the muffler with one with the same stock dimensions wont do anything really. and yea if you buy it used off of an LS1 car then you'll need the proper install kit from slp.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

My line of thinking behind it is that it's probably going to be a while before I can do any kind of header setup. I am not in the position to tackle the instal myself right now, which would mean paying for instal ($$$$) and I have to pass emissions including a code scan (more $$$$), so given that might not happen for a while but I don't want to drive around on stock exhaust, seems like just getting a louder muffler might be my best answer right now. I realize that a drop in muffler wont increase performance any, but it should at least sound good right?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jperran
My line of thinking behind it is that it's probably going to be a while before I can do any kind of header setup. I am not in the position to tackle the instal myself right now, which would mean paying for instal ($$$$) and I have to pass emissions including a code scan (more $$$$), so given that might not happen for a while but I don't want to drive around on stock exhaust, seems like just getting a louder muffler might be my best answer right now. I realize that a drop in muffler wont increase performance any, but it should at least sound good right?
then get a magnaflow ..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

So you need the $70 SLP adaptor for a GMMG too?

What if I just replace the muffler, like get a magnaflow drop in or something, anyone done that before and liked it? I just don't want to spend a ton of money because I'm pretty sure when I do LT's ill get a true dual setup.
different story but when i got my lm1 though it was for my 96 i didnt need any kit...maybe buy it anyways thats what i figured since it was like 30 bucks but if i didnt i woulda saved the 9 bucks to ship it back..would be more since its 70 tho
Old 09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a drop in muffler will increase performance some. the restriction on our cars is the muffler, not the piping. a magnaflow or hooker aerochamber will be your best bet. and if you are going to buy the Rumbler, be sure you wont regret not buying a GMMG. I took my rumbler off after 4 months and put on a GMMG

Search this Thread