LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cash for Clunkers MY ASS!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cash for Clunkers MY ***!

Today I picked up a used rearend for my Z. I show up and the guy tells my, "yeah so this rear end cam out of this Z28 we just got in for cas for clunkers." I look at the car......Its was a VERY nice, clean silver LT1 Z28 w/ Ttops nothing wrong but what they had done to it. He elxplained that they were able to sell it for parts but had to crush the engine because of the whole "improve gas mileage point of cash for clunkers deal. My question is... Who the hell trades in a car like that on a Kia or Honda or anything else with better gas mileage? Sorry I didn't get a pic...but damn! Some people don't have any since.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dream69
Today I picked up a used rearend for my Z. I show up and the guy tells my, "yeah so this rear end cam out of this Z28 we just got in for cas for clunkers." I look at the car......Its was a VERY nice, clean silver LT1 Z28 w/ Ttops nothing wrong but what they had done to it. He elxplained that they were able to sell it for parts but had to crush the engine because of the whole "improve gas mileage point of cash for clunkers deal. My question is... Who the hell trades in a car like that on a Kia or Honda or anything else with better gas mileage? Sorry I didn't get a pic...but damn! Some people don't have any since.
Sense. Irony. Love it.

And yes, its a **** program and really sucks to hear something like that!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People like this ***

and

this ***
Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

/\ lol!!! :d
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

People that did such a thing never deserved to own an f-body.. Traitors.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm - that guy was lying to you as if he is selling parts from a "Cash for Clunker" vehicle then he is comitting a federal crime. As per the program rules the whole vehicle must be disposed of and crushed. This is why so many parts dealers were pissed as they cannot make a dime off the parts just the disposal.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone traded in an 08 mustang for cash for clunkers that got crushed LOL.

I agree with that more then the Z .
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

There is a 1995 LT1 Z28 M6 Car here at the local Pick N Pull..that thing is stripped to a shell..
The Intake was off the Motor so I sent a friend of mine up there to get the Oil Pump Drive Gear cause he needed one.

I was thinking about pulling the Heads..
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Was it a six speed?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Ummm - that guy was lying to you as if he is selling parts from a "Cash for Clunker" vehicle then he is comitting a federal crime. As per the program rules the whole vehicle must be disposed of and crushed. This is why so many parts dealers were pissed as they cannot make a dime off the parts just the disposal.
I thought I had heard the cars needed to be crushed and destroyed as a part of the program. But in the last two weeks I've talked to two mechanics at two different local Chevy dealers that said they had to lock the engine up and then were shipping the cars to a salvage yard. I'm not sure why some places are saying they have to crush the cars and others are using them for parts cars, they did say the car itself cannot be driven on the street again.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
Was it a six speed?
Ya..I said that..lol

The T56 was gone, trust me if it was there I would have gotten it.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was told by a friend thats a GM mech, they have to disable the motor , most do it by pouring hipoxi into it to seize the crank case, then the rest is sold for a set price to salvage.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Let me Clarify this for you a little. Im a counter guy at a salvage yard. They use liquid glass to lock up the motors in them so they cannot be used. When we get the cars in, we have to report that VIN. We then inventory the car, usually pull the transmissions then send them to the yard. You have 6 months to part that car, after six months it has to be crushed, the car can be parted and housed but the actual cab or car with the VIN has to be crushed.

This program does suck, Ive seen typhoons, cyclones, z28s, BMWs, flawless pickups roll through.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Yep the local yard that got the contract is full of newer four-door trucks, suvs including a nice escalade and some caprices. No camaros or firebirds. The program is down right disgusting. Jeff
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

All we can do about it is be glad it bankrupted it self very quickly. I can't even be tempted to open up the official list of what was cash for clunkered, I'm sure I would only get furious.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

They dont crush the engines, they lock them up, then crush the car so it cant be used for parts. Atleast that what they do her by me.

I have seen a nice *** 95 Vette get destroyed, alot of nice third gen camaros, 95 96 impalas. People dont care, all they care about is the money they are getting toward a new car.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355z28
Let me Clarify this for you a little. Im a counter guy at a salvage yard. They use liquid glass to lock up the motors in them so they cannot be used. When we get the cars in, we have to report that VIN. We then inventory the car, usually pull the transmissions then send them to the yard. You have 6 months to part that car, after six months it has to be crushed, the car can be parted and housed but the actual cab or car with the VIN has to be crushed.

This program does suck, Ive seen typhoons, cyclones, z28s, BMWs, flawless pickups roll through.

Where in Iowa are you? I've got some items I need from a salvage yard for my car.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i seen a flawless 91 z28 1le package at a dealership when i was looking to trade in my dodge, a eautiful car, that blue green color, gray interior, perfect, off to the crushers..

Originally Posted by gregrob
People like this ***

and

this ***

i have to ask, how do you do that with links? like "this ***" is a link to ltxtech,,howd u name it lol
Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Right off the C4C web page, the Salvage yard have 180 days to dispose/crush the engine and cab/car with vin, and any all parts left of the car. The salvage yard can however sell all parts off the car except the engine/drivetrain and cab. Not the dealer, the dealer has to sell the C4C to a preselected salvage yard for a set price. Only the salvage yard can part out the vehicle under the terms listed above. The dealer would be subject to a fed crime if they sold parts the salvage yard can sell at fair mkt value whatever they can as long as its not the engine, drive train or VIN # parts of the cab. The cab may never be driven on the road legally again, or motor/drive train used to power another car, that is why they have to certify that the motor is destroyed at the dealership. The dealership make no money on the car, and only get paid for the authorized amount given to the trade plus $50 for administration cost for the salvage turn in, the rest of the salvage $ goes to you or towards your trade.

I hope this clears up some of the things on this thread that are being presented as fact when they are not. This was not a well thought out program, as it was only supposed to help American manufactured automakers in its 1st proposal, and only get heavy polluting, excessive low fuel mileage vehicles off the road. not really what it ended up doing was it?

355z28 did a good job of pointing out the correct info, but I already started this post before I had seen his.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 10-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Ya..I said that..lol

The T56 was gone, trust me if it was there I would have gotten it.
Sorry. I was talking about the clunkers car referred to in the original post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers MY ASS!