LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 B body lt1 in 96 f body?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 B body lt1 in 96 f body?

Hi there, first post here been looking around for a while now. I have a 96 firebird, with the 3.8 v6, and a4. A friend of mine wants to sell me his caprice classic for pretty cheap. It's a 95, also a4. I got into a wreck and ended up putting trans am body parts on my bird (even the ram air hood) so I figured it wouldn't be to bad to actually make it a real trans am. What I'm trying to figure out is, first of all can it be done? Has any one else done it? What will switch over and what do I need from an lt1 f body? Also my car is obd2, the caprice is obd1. And im sure there's tons of other little things that will complicate it. Is anybody knowledgeable of this? Any help appreciated
Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Short answer is yes it can be done. May be cheaper just to buy an LT1 car though. They are pretty cheap.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Well I'm pretty sure it can be done. I just want to know if anybody has some advice I guess? Besides buy an f body. I know it'd be easier and if I see an f body that I could get for this cheap and low miles I'd jump on it, I'm just seeing if I have an oppurtunity here or not.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done but the accessories from the BBody won't with the FBody from what I understand. Like you also said - since you have an OBD2 96 vehicle and you're putting in a 95 OBD1, you'll have quite a few wiring differences to sort out.

Check out shbox.com's connector harness page: http://shbox.com/1/harness_connector_faces.htm

From an electrical stand point - the engine harness ties into the rest of the car through two main connection points - the first point is on the passenger shock tower with two plugs and the second point is behind the passenger interior kick panel with 4 plugs. You'll see 3 plugs on Shbox's site but there's a 4th one wire plug that has to do with HVAC if I remember correctly.

The main thing that you will want to keep in mind from an electrical standpoint is where the power is coming from for injectors, fuel pump, and PCM on the 1995 wiring harness as compared to the 1996 wiring harness. I did a swap from a 94 v6 to a 95 LT1 and between the two years they changed how the PCM received it's 12v source and also changed the wiring a bit for the injector's power.

Electrical will probably be your biggest obstacle aside from collecting the correct accessory brackets and parts.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Launching!

We put one in my 94 formula. It can be done!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Yeah A few people have been saying that, accessory brackets, wiring and the K member. Well will the tranny bolt in too? Does it use the same drive shaft and rear end?

Quick Reply: 95 B body lt1 in 96 f body?