LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lost power with exhaust? help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lost power with exhaust? help

I recently installed an slp loudmouth 1 cat back exhaust on my M6 1996 Firebird Formula last weekend, and at first, i felt like it added more top end but it may have just been me lol.
Anyway now about a week later, i feel as if it doesnt have as much guts as it did with the stock exhaust like off the line if i mash it to the floor it'll rev out and go fast, but i feel like when i push that pedal down it doesnt put me into my seat as much anymore, even when i mash on it at like 3k RPM's. I may just be getting really used to my car but idk i feel like i lost some bottom end power up till like 4k rpm's. The car will still chirp 3rd revving out the gears and all but ehh i feel like its lost that "in your seat" feel a bit. The car has an intake and a fresh tuneup/wires dist. cars got 75k orig miles. I think the last time i felt like it had some good all around power is when i ran 93 octane, it felt like a world of a difference. Right now I've been putting 89 octane "plus" gas at shell into it. Would running premium 93 octane really make it feel that much more ballsy? I read on a brochure or something stock the car will make 285 hp 330 ft lbs of torque with premium fuel. would it make a large difference in how my LT1 will perform?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not run 89 octane. That answered your own question
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Do not run 89 octane. That answered your own question
You're computer is probably compensating for you using 89 and you're losing power...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

alright well im gonna run 93 always now then lol i know it was probably dumb to run 89 oct in the first place but hey i didnt think i would actuall feel the difference like i do.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

By adding such a free flowing exhaust, you most likely placed your torque curve higher up in the rpm range. So it may feel a bit less powerful down in the lower rpms. I would also run V-power or any 93 octane fuel available in your area.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

well i filled it up premium 93 octane today, after about 20 miles of running time, all I can say is what a damn difference, car runs phenomenal. throttle response, acceleration, is all much improved. will never go less than premium again. EVER.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Well, premium fuel aside, you should also have felt some difference from a freer flowing exhaust as mentioned above. The power didn't go away, just shifted higher in the rpm range. More restrictive exhaust will feel better/snappier off the line at lower rpms but will choke off at the higher revs. Light to light, it probably feels slower. On the track revving out to where it is now more designed to flow, it should perform a bit better being it breathes better now.

Quick Reply: lost power with exhaust? help