LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone familiar with real 96/97 SS please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with real 96/97 SS please help.

Ok...I'm a newbie here and did a search but came up with more posts than I could read but none answering this question. I just got my first 4th gen (well first running one) lol. It's a 97 Camaro SS and is a great car except the previous owner sold the hood and ram air set-up. I think he was going to swap to 98+ parts or something. Anyway...I have NO hood at all and a regular z28 air intake installed to get me running. I really want the SS parts, but figure I won't ever find them for sale so I will go aftermarket. My question is: What aftermarket hood is most like the OEM one? I'm not just meaning in outward appearance, but also compatibility with an OEM air box OR maybe the RK Sport air box that looks similar to OEM. All the other Super Sport items are still there along with faded SLP stickers in the door jambs, VIN confirms it's a true SS, but I don't have the SLP build number yet. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trust me, you're better off with just getting an SS hood and using a typical CAI. The stock SS airbox sucks for HP, and clutters the engine bay.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

contact slp with the vin they might still sell the ss hood. you have to prove too them that you own the car.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Factory SLP SS hood is discontinued. Used or aftermarket only options
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASHOOTER
I'd heard they were discontinued. What aftermarket hood is closest to the original one? I've seen pics of some aftermarket SS style hoods that only direct air to the front like the 98 and newer ones do....they don't have any provisions for the OEM style ram air box. I may end up just driving up to Summit and getting a Harwood, but haven't seen the underside of those.
For what it's worth, I will probably just be using a Moroso CAI, but I still want to get a hood as close to the original one as possible since the car is a true SS. The LS1/SLP air box mod looks awesome, but there is no way I could sleep at night if I cut the core support on such a rare car.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

my car with heads and cam made 417 through the factory air box.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

from what i have heard the ebay seller hoods4sale makes a good ss hood. as far as the ss intake forget it. rougly 200 bucks and not that great. get a cai used for around 150. if you want a true ss intake i have the one i took off my car if you want it. the mounting wholes are plastic and they cracked on mine but it works and its orginal. shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Im very happy with my suncoast creations WS6 hood, been on my car for 9 years now and has been PERFECT no cracking or alignment issues. Have had three body shop guys looking at it and they are very happy and have been using them on there customers cars ever since. Braced under neath very well and no flexing crap when you open it, but also super light.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Trust me, you're better off with just getting an SS hood and using a typical CAI. The stock SS airbox sucks for HP, and clutters the engine bay.
Typical TA owners responce. The box worked well for me until I went to bigger VC's. If you can find one use it.

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
contact slp with the vin they might still sell the ss hood. you have to prove too them that you own the car.
They might have some goodies left over for owners with VIN #'s...contact Dave @ SLP.

Originally Posted by FASHOOTER
Yes, but they have a stock pile and are now open to selling them to anyone that wants one. They do not however have all the air box parts.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Racin96ss
Typical TA owners responce. The box worked well for me until I went to bigger VC's. If you can find one use it.
So you're saying the stock SS airbox provides similar gains than a CAI? And what the **** does my ownership of a T/A have anything to do with the SS hood scoop?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racin96ss

They might have some goodies left over for owners with VIN #'s...contact Dave @ SLP.

Yes, but they have a stock pile and are now open to selling them to anyone that wants one. They do not however have all the air box parts.

I just talked to Joey @ SLP and they do not have any hoods, but he gave me a couple recommendations and told me the Harwood hoods are pretty close to stock, so I may drive up to Summit and have a look at one.
He also gave me my SLP Build Number #2438
Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
So you're saying the stock SS airbox provides similar gains than a CAI? And what the **** does my ownership of a T/A have anything to do with the SS hood scoop?
Well as a fellow T/A owner who added the OEM ram air, i think he's saying that those of us with LT1 WS6 hoods/airboxes sometimes look down on the SS airbox as being inferior since ours is more of a direct air intake than the SS ram air setup is. just my .02
Old 03-30-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
Well as a fellow T/A owner who added the OEM ram air, i think he's saying that those of us with LT1 WS6 hoods/airboxes sometimes look down on the SS airbox as being inferior since ours is more of a direct air intake than the SS ram air setup is. just my .02
You said it yourself...it IS inferior.

This has been debated for years and the overwhelming consensus is that the SS intake sucks.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't care about the efficiency or lack there-of with the SS air box....I just want a hood and air box for my real SS to make it complete. I'll probably use my Moroso CAI to drive around on most of the time.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I really don't care about the efficiency or lack there-of with the SS air box....I just want a hood and air box for my real SS to make it complete. I'll probably use my Moroso CAI to drive around on most of the time.
well hopefully the SS airbox hasn't become as rare and expensive as the WS6 airbox. an LT1 WS6 airbox w/ K&N and the MAF to TB bellow and i think the MAF as well sold for $382 plus $18 shipping on ebay the other day.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
well hopefully the SS airbox hasn't become as rare and expensive as the WS6 airbox. an LT1 WS6 airbox w/ K&N and the MAF to TB bellow and i think the MAF as well sold for $382 plus $18 shipping on ebay the other day.
I think I have found an airbox, but still need a hood.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my SS air box today. THANKS MeanGreenChevy!!!!! Now I can try it on a few friends' z28s here in town that have aftermarket (I think) SS hoods. Three Z28's in town with SS hoods and I have a real SS, but NO hood at all. LOL Figures huh?? One of the three is a harwood I know. The other two the owners don't know what brand. They were on the cars when they got them....so.....even if my airbox will fit with their hood, I won't know what brand it is to be able to buy one.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with real 96/97 SS please help.