LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

alt relocation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alt relocation question

I see cutting the accessory bracket to re-locate the alt where the a/c was is a popular mode. Just wanted to see has any one had the bracket break because of the cutting?

http://www.lt1engines.com/tech/lt1-a...or-relocation/
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Launching!

If you use an air grinder and put it in a solid vice, I dont see how it will break. Unless you use a hammer or drop it.

File down cut smooth, jagged edges could start a crack over time.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

not while im cutting. After the mode and you drive it for a few miles. Wanted to see if any have broke after installed.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine finally cracked after a few years driving along with about 20 passes on the track. Spinning to 7k area is what I think did it in. It never broke but it didn't look good. I may try to fab a bracket to go across the two towers where the alternator used to be. I only saw it because it was powdered black and I was revving the motor under the hood and noticed the crack when the bracket flexed. The new one has been fine so far.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Mine finally cracked after a few years driving along with about 20 passes on the track. Spinning to 7k area is what I think did it in. It never broke but it didn't look good. I may try to fab a bracket to go across the two towers where the alternator used to be. I only saw it because it was powdered black and I was revving the motor under the hood and noticed the crack when the bracket flexed. The new one has been fine so far.
could you post a pic? be nice to see where it cracked. I found some pics on the net where people added braces like you mention and claimed they have been running it with success. Thats the route im going to take.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy actually has it. When I get it back I'll take a pic. When that is, who knows

Quick Reply: alt relocation question