LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust leak repair help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak repair help

I cannot for the life of me get my damn exahust to seal up well. I have pacesetter longtubes into there ORY with a magnaflow catback. I had the y pipe cut back a little bit to accomodate a 3 inch band clamp at the collector which I have on every lapped joint. So as it sits I have a band clamp at the collectors, on the slip portion of the y, where the y meets the intermediate pipe, and where the intermediate meets the over axle. I am going to have the joint where the intermediate meets the over axle welded up but I still can't get the rest to seal up. My exhaust guy recommended v bands but they are a little pricey and I don't think I should have to spend that much just to get it to seal. My question is how is everyone getting these things to seal up properly and is there any kind of sealant or other product that I can apply to the joint under the clamp to help seal leaks?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my band clamps leaking as well, so I got the whole exhaust welded. Some people shy away from that. But the way I see it, a few mins and a sawzall will take down the y-pipe if I need to. And a few mins and a welder will put it right back into place.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

so I guess welding is the only option? I am sure there are alternatives out there what has worked for you guys?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had my whole exhaust welded on and deeply regret it now. If you use just regular U clamps or whatever they are called you should be fine...
Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^I disagree. I have U-clamps. all they do is crimp the pipe, and usually to seal them up nice, you have to crimp them alot, and then the pipes won't separate, which defeats the purpose of a clamp.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak repair help