LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with an oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with an oil leak!

I need some input on this oil leak. I installed a Canton oil pan on my car a few weeks back and I immediately developed a very bad oil leak. (Constant drip, all over the bottom of the car). I pulled it off and reinstalled it. Same thing. I thought the oil pan was bad (have seen the stories all over the forums) so I sent it back. I purchased the Moroso pan and have the same freaking problem! I used a new Felpro gasket with the Canton and the Moroso pan, and put RTV in the corners where the pan meets the rear main cap and the timing cover, along with RTV in the “half moons”. I cleaned everything up underneath last night and ran the car with me underneath it. It appears that it was dripping from the passenger rear corner of the oil pan. Everything is dry on the top part of the motor (intake, valve cover gaskets, oil pressure sending unit). Another odd thing is that when I installed the Moroso pan, I let the RTV dry overnight and did not put any oil in the pan. I came back the next day and there was a puddle of oil on the ground and the rear main had oil residue all over it. Is it possible that my rear main could suddenly blow? I have < 500 miles on the rebuild.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you had an oil leak with no oil in the pan? I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's not the pan, dude.

Quick Reply: Need help with an oil leak!