LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which heads for my 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which heads for my 383 build

Okay so as a couple of you know im planning to build a forged 383. I have the shortblock with a forged eagle crank and forged eagle 6.000inch rods and i will be installing some mahle forged pistons.

Now i have been planning on running Lloyd Elliot LE2 heads and cam. But when i took a look at Advanced Inductions website there 200cc heads seem to make a little more power and also offer a full valve train package.

So i guess what i want to know is what have been your guys experience with these companies?

is one better than the other?

Also should i have AI port my intake or should i have someone els do it cause they seem to be a little pricey on that. or is it worth it?

thanks guys
Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goals? budget?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AI stuff is crap, obviously. Everyone prefers to go slower as long as they get some warm-fuzzy customer service.

........./sarcasm.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Impala iron heads.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 AM
11 Second Club

I would obviously go with AI. There customer service is top notch IMO.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt say theres one better then the other, had experince from both. obviously you cant beat consistency with a cnc machine but lloyds also seem to be very consistant too. its a toss up
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion is that AI is slightly better at packaging and marketing the proven recipe, especially since you indicated the valvetrain package was of interest to you.
I know Lloyd is very personable, and I think he gets some bad press because he tends to be agreeable and sympathetic to the cost-consciousness of a few too many customers that really think they can cut some corners on cost and still end up with the quality of setups that both LE and AI would like them to have in the first place.
If you, or your builder, really know what you're doing, either way will make you happy.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright guys i think im going to end up going with advanced inductions.

The more i look around the more i see their numbers seem to be a little higher than Lloyds. And i like that they offer a full valve train package.

And to be honest i have talked with Lloyd a couple times through e-mail and he never seemed very interested. i asked him alot of questions and didnt really get very in-depth answers. Im not saying he didnt answer or was a jerk or anything but alot of people are saying how great he was with them and i didnt seem to get that vibe.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
Alright guys i think im going to end up going with advanced inductions.

The more i look around the more i see their numbers seem to be a little higher than Lloyds. And i like that they offer a full valve train package.

And to be honest i have talked with Lloyd a couple times through e-mail and he never seemed very interested. i asked him alot of questions and didnt really get very in-depth answers. Im not saying he didnt answer or was a jerk or anything but alot of people are saying how great he was with them and i didnt seem to get that vibe.
I can't see how you can get a good vibe through email. Both AI and Lloyd get hammered with emails. As far as I'm concerned if you are serious you pick up the phone. Got 1 on 1 conversation from both of them. I went with LE because everytime I called he personally answered the phone, was patient, and gave me the real scoop on what I needed for what the car was intended for. He even called me a few times to let me know what the status was when everyone was short on billet cam cores.

Honestly, from what I've seen you can't go wrong with either. It was the personal end of LE that had me sold.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea man i get your point but the reason i say i didnt get that vibe is because i have a friend that emailed him a couple questions and Lloyd was WAY cool with him. He sent him links to other parts that he will need and really Went the extra mile with him.
But when i emailed him he just didnt seem to interested. But mabe he was just having a long couple of days.

and i really dont care if they are super nice and friendly with me as long as there not complete jerks. I am simply looking for the best parts for my build. not a new best friend.

anyone running nitrous with the AI heads cause i plan on running a 150 wet shot and was wondering what your experiences are.

thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bowtienut
My opinion is that AI is slightly better at packaging and marketing the proven recipe, especially since you indicated the valvetrain package was of interest to you.
I know Lloyd is very personable, and I think he gets some bad press because he tends to be agreeable and sympathetic to the cost-consciousness of a few too many customers that really think they can cut some corners on cost and still end up with the quality of setups that both LE and AI would like them to have in the first place. If you, or your builder, really know what you're doing, either way will make you happy.
I began to think the same way too. When I was growing up it was referred to as "poor mouthing"; always claiming not to have enough money to do whatever.

What got my attention were the failure posts put up by guys who had bought springs LE recommended. It made me wonder why they'd buy them. Poor Mouthing.

The situation took on even more of a special meaning when I learned that those recommended springs weren't designed for and didn't fit the heads without removing the damper. Even then they weren't designed for . . . LE said so himself in a posted response.

So that begs the question, Why then recommend them? Poor Mouthing. Guys claiming they couldn't afford the right/better springs. So he gave them a cheap/cheaper alternative.

Going that route a few guys had the dampers break and/or tear up the valve stem seals and it was only after a few such failures that the "fix" was to remove and eliminate the damper. Of course, I don't agree with that move as a proper "fix".

I even posted on this on LS1LT1.COM but, predictably, the guys who had bought them defended their purchase. Oh well . . .

My thinking is if the springs weren't designed for my application I'd get some that are.

Jake
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

You know how many emails he probably gets from dumb *** little kids that don't know a thing about cars?

"Hey Lloyd, I want to go fast. Real Fast. Make me go fast. Oh yeah and I only have 500$ to spend."

Probably hundreds and hundreds of calls and emails, everyone asking the same thing every time. You gotta understand that.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like where this thread is going.

I've owned all of the above and I say do it right the first time.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still never listed goals or a budget.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the information given by the OP in this thread I would go with a 4xx LSx with some variety of canted valve heads.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay well my goals are 420hp on motor through a 3800 stalled performabuilt level 2 trans.

then a 150 wet shot of nitrous.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ai's 200cc or le2's will do it. what type of rear end, is the trans a stock built one?

You may not make the rwhp you want(390-405) but it wil sure turn good numbers on a track.

How big of a cam were you thinking about? HR/SR?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its a built 4l60e from performabuilt.
Rear end will eventaully be a 12 bolt.
As for the cam i was thinking either AIs 230 / 238 - .575/.575 - 110 LSA or their 234 / 242 - .575/.580 - 110 LSA
i need it to be very drivable cause this will be my daily driver for a while. but i want good power as well.

so i think i will be going with AIs 200cc heads and cam along with their full valve train package and ported intake.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
Its a built 4l60e from performabuilt.
Rear end will eventaully be a 12 bolt.
As for the cam i was thinking either AIs 230 / 238 - .575/.575 - 110 LSA or their 234 / 242 - .575/.580 - 110 LSA
i need it to be very drivable cause this will be my daily driver for a while. but i want good power as well.

so i think i will be going with AIs 200cc heads and cam along with their full valve train package and ported intake.

Opt for the smaller cam, with AI's 200cc heads.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Opt for the smaller cam, with AI's 200cc heads.

Dont you think his stall rpm will determine which of the two cams would be better for his setup?