LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel issue and 42 lb fuel injector ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issue and 42 lb fuel injector ?

So I was wondering, would a set of 42 lb injectors out of a 2001 Ford lightning fit my 94 Z28 Camaro? My buddy has a set that he is willing to just give me because he is going to bump his up all though his truck is at the dealership getting repairs I have yet to get a chance to see them. I've googled a few images and they look relativley the same in size. Anyone have any info on this by chance on if they would fit and plug in?

They have 45K on them but you cant beat free in my eyes!!!! My 26 lb accel's are maxed out to 118% and I think that it's giving me an issue at the track when I'm WOT! Would this cause my car to sputter in a 1-2 shift and then a 2-3 shift, seems like a missed a gear or touched the rev limiter before changing gears..... It's an AUTO! Just had a SD tune done and the car runs fine on the street. The only think I've changed was tires! 28x10.5x15 slicks....The trans and stall are brand new. I did have a fuel pressure issue as well when we finalized my tune. It was dropping down from 41 psi to the 20's which killed it. I think we heat soaked the pump after a bunch of start and goes and data lodding and adjusting, but cooling down it ran just fine from that point. Just a thought! This is the only issue that I have so I figure it had to be related to my fuel lacking. People said it sounded like it was starving for fuel at the track but hell I dont know. I have a 255 Walbro but thinking of just replacing it maybe with the dual setup to be safe....I'm sure it's overkill but dont want to worry about it again. Sorry for the long thread!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If the flow rate is the same then they can be used. I'm sure you know, but you will have to reprogram the PCM to accept the new pressure rating. I would look into your fuel pump issues before doing anything else. If the pump bucket is still being used there's no reason for the pump to overheat or drop pressure.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If the flow rate is the same then they can be used. I'm sure you know, but you will have to reprogram the PCM to accept the new pressure rating. I would look into your fuel pump issues before doing anything else. If the pump bucket is still being used there's no reason for the pump to overheat or drop pressure.
Free injectors though, I cant pass that deal. The tuner said he would make the Injector pounding increase for me free of charge since my drive was 3 and half hours. He will be meeting me half way this time and I'll be paying for gas. Not sure what else it can be......The pressure is now steady it was like a fluke or some ****. I'm going to swap the pump still with another walbro just to be safe.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Those injectors should run just fine for you. I've been using them for 10 years. They should be green on top. Just make sure your tuner knows that ford injectors are rated at a different pressure than your stockers. Basically, don't put 42# in the tune for the flow rate. Do some searches and you'll find the formula to convert to the correct rate.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap out the pump for another walbro to be safe, and the 42 pounders will work just fine for you
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

yep they will work.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

make sure you buy the harness for the fuel pump, that could be causing your problem with the pressure, I think the pump and harness are like 150 bucks or 59 for the harness only, I just bought mine today
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

I was thinking about the dual pump but do you think that's overkill. I would think that it would be reassurance???? Thanks guy's and yeah they are green tops and I was going to get the hot wire kit and pumps through the sponsor on here. Hopefully this is causing all my sputtering issues and of course it should take care of the pressure issue for sure.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Dual pump is def overkill and a PITA from what I understand. I personally always recommend the Racetronix kit that includes the upgraded wiring and all. You may also have a FPR problem causing the loss of pressure so don't spend to much time focusing on the pump. Check everything....
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A dual system is certainly overkill, and so is an AFPR. Stock lines, rails, and regulator can support big power.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Roger that, I'm swapping out my regulator with the AFPR, swapping out the pump with a new walbro and slapping in the 42 lb green tops. I'm also going to swap out my fuel lines under the hood with some braided lines and fittings to clean it up as well. I figure I have the braided hose why not just buy the fittings and knock it all out at once. Hopefully I can figure out the whole hot wire thing........ Then meet up with the tuner again so he can make the change for the bigger injectors. Cool Thanks guys I really appreciate it
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ditch the AFPR if you know what's good for you. I've said it several times before but they are grossly overused and incredibly misunderstood. For what you're doing the stock one is FAR more reliable and accurate.

The ONLY time you'd need an AFPR is if you were planning on tuning with the regulator for the larger injectors with increased fuel pressure (not very common).
Old 10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Damn it I already bought the thing. I mean as long as I make sure my pressure is set at 43.5 I should be good right with the AFPR. I mean of course as the tuner tunes for the bigger injector. I have the accel adjustable now. I ditched the stock one a few years back. I only have a couple thousand miles on it now, I was just going to swap the accel out for the Aeromotive adjustable for reassurance of the quality of parts I guess. Hell I dont know. I have a lack of fuel and I do know that. The injectors are at 118% maxed out. Hell I could be good with just changing the injectors. I just want to make sure my craps right.

I mean **** I ran 12.87 on the 1/4 the other night and it was surging from a lack of fuel is the only way I can explain it. I should be faster than this in my opinion. The car feels like it wants to keep going, you can feel it in the pedal and litterally sitting in the seat like it's starving. UPGRADE TIME!

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 10-19-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your fueling issues should be fixed in the PCM with the larger injectors, not the AFPR. There have been some serious reliability and safety issues with many AFPRs leaking (do a search on CZ28.com and you'll see what I mean). Even though you already bought it, I'd send it back/resell it/shelf it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

I've run an Accel AFPR for 10 years with zero problems. Aeromotive's were notorious for having issues for a time but I'm not sure if that continues with their products today. I can't give you the science behind it or a 3 page explanation but raising the fuel pressure a bit gave me increased throttle response. I wouldn't say there's any real power gain but between that and the MSD 6AL, I couldn't ask for better response compared to stock. I thought it couldn't get any better until I swapped over to the LTCC ignition setup last year and found a whole new world of snappy response. Again, this is my experience and is not based on anything but my own experience and opinion. Take it as you will.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

RamAir95TA, if a higher fuel pressure is taken into account in tuning for the larger injectors and the flow rate set accordingly. Do you feel the higher pressure is providing better fuel atomization which would account for the better response?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garage_queen
RamAir95TA, if a higher fuel pressure is taken into account in tuning for the larger injectors and the flow rate set accordingly. Do you feel the higher pressure is providing better fuel atomization which would account for the better response?
Higher fuel pressures do increase fuel atomization, but it is more of a function of the type of injector rather than the pressure behind it. Some injectors spray a hollow cone while others give a solid stream. The intake design will also have an effect on the fuel atomization. It IS possible to have too fine a mist as a good part of the fuel can vaporize before reaching the cylinder. This is a great topic to debate with, but IMO, I don't think it matters too much on a street motor.

Perhaps some of the expert FI guys can chime in.

Quick Reply: Fuel issue and 42 lb fuel injector ?