LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Little Bit Worried.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Bit Worried.....

I had a supercharged (6-8#s of boost) 4.6 mustang messing with me the other day so I decided to show him what an old LT1 has to offer. Turns out that the LT1 can really push those mustangs down the road LOL BUT.....after I had my fun I turned off and continued on my trip to my parents house. I noticed right away that something didn't feel right, checked over my gauges and everything was fine but my oil pressure was about 20-30 pounds less than normal (so about 35-40#s at idle when its normally at least 60#s) so that had me a little worried but my motor wasn't making any noise, not smoking, nothing. So I kept going and it was really down on power, felt like I lost 100 hp. Got out to my parents and my check engine light turned on, its never turned on before. Let the car sit for a while and then took my buddy for a ride so we could diagnose what was going on. Started right up, no noises, no check engine light. Drove it and it was still down on power, then it started missing so I turned around and took it home.

I couldn't look at the car last weekend, but my starting point is to pull the plugs and check the wires. That would explain the miss unless its the opti again but why would I have lost some of my oil pressure? That makes me really nervous. I spun bearings in this car before and it didn't seem to spin a bearing. I don't know but I'm a little worried now. I was planning on building a new motor next year, but maybe I'll have to start sooner.

What do you guys think? I'm going to do a compression test when I pull my plugs, but what else would you suggest?

Sorry I know its kind of a worthless thread, but I'm looking for some ideas. I can't take a look at the car until the weekend, but want some ideas that maybe I'm looking over
Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

a misfire will make the car feel like it lost power and will give you a funny oil pressure reading. check plugs wires opti and coil in that order
Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Why would a missfire give a low oil pressure reading??? And I know it missing would make it loose power, but it didn't feel like it was missing until I gave my buddy a ride then it was deffinately noticeable especially if I lugged it a little bit

Thanks for the reply man
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You said the SES light came on? I find it odd that the SES light was gone when you started it up again; usually SES lights take a few running cycles before they go away.

First thing to do is read that code or codes and see what the PCM is trying to tell you. Let us know what happens...
Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myk
You said the SES light came on? I find it odd that the SES light was gone when you started it up again; usually SES lights take a few running cycles before they go away.

First thing to do is read that code or codes and see what the PCM is trying to tell you. Let us know what happens...
Yeah I found that strange also, like I said I didn't have any time to look into the situation and am away from my car right now. Saturday I'm going to take a look at everything and see whats going on. I'm going to bring my computer and hook up the data logger and see if its reading something out of wack.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Well I still really haven't had a chance to check anything out, but I looked at my plug wires and they are all still hooked up and non of them are burnt. My buddy brought out his OBD1 Snap On scanner but I didn't have a chance to hook it up to see what codes were on the PCM. My oil pressure isn't acting weird anymore so maybe my sensor is going out or I was just worrying about nothing??

Next weekend I'll pull the plugs and take a look at them. I've been working a lot lately and haven't had anytime to really do anything

Just trying to add some updates even though its not much.

Quick Reply: Little Bit Worried.....