LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

flowmaster 80 series muffler.... good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flowmaster 80 series muffler.... good buy?

I found a flowmaster 80 series muffler for $60.So I went online to see if it was good or not and I heard the flowmaster 80 series muffler was one of the worst sounding and airflow mufflers for a f-body.Is this true or not....
Mines a 94 z28 camaro
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill sale ya one for 50
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Great buy for the absolute WORST muffler money can buy...that being said I recomend you buy a single in/out 3" 40 series 2 chamber because that actually flows very well and sounds amazing.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I made 331rwhp and 330tq with my bolt on LS1, stock exhaust with just a new muffler ("Choke"master)

Its a good muffler.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I made 331rwhp and 330tq with my bolt on LS1, stock exhaust with just a new muffler ("Choke"master)

Its a good muffler.
Bet you would have made more with a good catback.

Flowmaster is the worst mainstream aftermarket muffler, IMO. I'll never buy one for an Fbody again, nor will I reccomend it to anyone. Sound like garbage, look like garbage, flow like garbage.

Better than stock? Yes, but that's not saying much.

Save up for a catback so you don't have to do it twice.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Hookers are great... so is gmmg. I personally don't like anything slowmaster other than the super 40 single chambers, they sound the best IMO. All the other slows sound like ***.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Ok Thanks
Sooo whats a good catback at a reasonable price.
I found some magnaflow for 400.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll love Borla cat back system if you can find one used for cheap. I use to run them years ago best sounding cat back, next to a GMMG.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Flowmasters are a great sounding muffler. The ICONIC way a muscle car should sound. However, they can drone like a MF though. As far as flow, well its a give and take. The 80 series wasn't engineered well. It flows better then stock and sounds pretty damn good, not too bad IMO. However, the problem is that it doesn't flow much better then stock. So take it for what it is. For those who say all Flowmasters are shitty. I say they are fools. First of all such a blanket statement is ignorant as ****. Flowmaster makes so many damn mufflers they wouldn't know what was different about each of them if you asked them. Hell they are likely one of the most diverse muffler manufacturers in the world. They make tons of versions/variations of the traditional muffler, almost anything to suit your needs as well as round mufflers, RV mufflers, and truck mufflers. Hell, Flowmaster was an originator in performance mufflers. I have a 40 series DeltaFlow on a 4.7 Durango that sounds damn good for what it is and I'm running a 10 series DeltaForce race muffler 4 inch in/out on my car along with their merge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZGEd0AYDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNmnW...eature=related
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Flowmasters are a great sounding muffler. The ICONIC way a muscle car should sound. However, they can drone like a MF though. As far as flow, well its a give and take. The 80 series wasn't engineered well. It flows better then stock and sounds pretty damn good, not too bad IMO. However, the problem is that it doesn't flow much better then stock. So take it for what it is. For those who say all Flowmasters are shitty. I say they are fools. First of all such a blanket statement is ignorant as ****. Flowmaster makes so many damn mufflers they wouldn't know what was different about each of them if you asked them. Hell they are likely one of the most diverse muffler manufacturers in the world. They make tons of versions/variations of the traditional muffler, almost anything to suit your needs as well as round mufflers, RV mufflers, and truck mufflers. Hell, Flowmaster was an originator in performance mufflers. I have a 40 series DeltaFlow on a 4.7 Durango that sounds damn good for what it is and I'm running a 10 series DeltaForce race muffler 4 inch in/out on my car along with their merge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZGEd0AYDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNmnW...eature=related

What he said, All of those people that say flowmaster suck, do you know this for a fact? or just reiterating what others claim? I can tell you this, I had a 2 chamber 40 series Flowmaster, my car made 648 RWHP. After a while it was just to dam loud for me on the high way so I installed a 80 series Flowmaster for an SUV!!! I figure if I lost a few ponies so what, well after installing that muffler, it was way more quiet and back on the Dyno...647 RWHP, so that right there told me something, if they could quiet a muffler down and I still made basically the same H.P. then their airflow design must be pretty darn good. Now I can tell you this, we had a customer with a spintech muffler, on the dyno we switched to a I think a dynomax muffler? any way, it picked up almost 20 RWHP! so I can officially say Spintech mufflers suck...
Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After i switched to the dual single chamber flowmaster 3" in/out ive been really happy it sounds awesome. Only thing different i might do is run tail pipes all the way back to quiet it down a bit.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:49 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
x 2.
There was an 80 series on my car when I bought it, and I thought it sounded good. Later I got tired of it, but I ditched the cat. Liked the sound even more. I never got anything beside compliments too (I'm not running it anymore though). Also, my father has a '04 GTO with 10 series and the second set of cats or w/e taken off, and it sounds great. Just picked up an '01 Bullitt with 10 series too. It sounds alright, but definetly needs something upstream.

The 80 series did have some drone though. I've actually got pictures of every Flowmaster muffler cut open also. They had them at the Holley LSFest for everyone to look at.

If I was to buy a catback though I would go Magnaflow, just because it's the best over-all package in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like sound then you will probably like the Flowmaster. I had one on my car when I bought it and to me it was too loud. It's yours for $40 shipped if you want it. Has roughly 1k miles on it, perfect condition.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I bought my car with a flowmaster mufler but now I'm saving to get rid of that mufler and install LT headers, new piping and i thingking of going with magnaflow since i cant find where they sell gmmg mufler. But to answer your question the sound of the flowmaster suscks!! i dunno what the previous owner of my car was thinking

(its time for me to make my Z28 a Z28)
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

First off, some of these people sound like goddamn flowmaster sales reps

I dont take into account flow numbers for mufflers anymore. There are ways around that. Most people, despite what they say, Make it to the track AT MOST 52 days a year lol. The other 300 days, they are on the street. Alot of people who try out alot of different exhausts can probably tell you that the first week is always the best. When you pick out the parts you want, take into account the noise. You may love it the first week, but maybe a month later, you wont be able to stand it.

I dont know if i can really get my point across the right way, but you need to choose something by sound. A flowmaster muffler may flow the worst, but it may also sound the best. Your on the street most days so why do you care how much it flows, or how much hp it makes. If your smart, your not racing on the street like a moron, and if you do, 5-10hp isnt gonna make a world of difference.

I have flowmaster now and i love the way it sounds, go through a tunnel and hit it and just grin. it may not flow as well as my previous setups, but it sounds amazing.

I go to the track and open the cut out, car is loud as hell, and the exhaust is free flowing. the car runs for at most 45 minutes on a track night unless the lanes are packed. Then you close the cutout and drive home in a car that sounds the way you want it to.

Im not reccomending flowmaster, But if its the sound you want then go for it. Magnaflow also sounds pretty amazing. Hooker is nice but to me its not a quality product, unless they changed to stainless, it will rust out quick in winter climates. SLP loudmouth is an awesome sounding system on a stock manifold/catalytic car, do headers and your gonna hate life.

Just saying, a 30$ cutout that you have to manually open 50 times a year will allow your exhaust to flow very well, and when its shut your car is tolerable. You shouldnt worry about flownumbers, you can get around them.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my ’95 Camaro years ago which had crappy Edelbrock shorties & Y, the stock cat and exhaust system going back with an 80 series muffler. As far as I recall the muffler outlets were dual 2.5” and then the rail pipes actually went down to 2 ¼” to fit the stock rectangular tips. I loved the sound of that old setup (355 w/ hot cam).

I’ve not got a new 383 with longtubes, racing Y (no cat), and Flowmaster’s American Thunder catback which is 3” all the way in and out. Not sure which muffler it is (definitely NOT the 80 series b/c its almost twice as big) but this exhaust rocks. I’ve always loved Flowmaster. Somebody said it best: it just sounds the way a muscle car should. I am a bit surprised at just how loud the new exhaust is. I remember people complaining years ago to me not to go with another flowmaster and that it would be quiet. Those guys were on crack. My house shakes when the car is idling in the garage 

I knew full well that a Borla system was probably one of the best flowing cat backs considering you can open up the back plate to basically bypass the engine muffler and straight out. But I’ve always hated the raspy sound. People who say Flowmaster’s are “raspy” I think are using the wrong term. I would use the word “rumble” to best describe their sound.

One very happy Flowmaster owner here. Anything louder would be insane for me. As for flow, if I really cared about the what, 2-5? (even?) hp I’m leaving on the table by not going with another exhaust company I would simply keep the flowmaster I have now and install an electronic cutout up stream. That way I’d always have that wonderful rumbling sound and use the cutout as the super/invincible/ace up the sleeve to completely blow the doors of my opponents (who would otherwise have beaten me horribly in a race b/c of the absolutely terrible flow characteristics of my muffler). Right?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

That way I’d always have that wonderful rumbling sound and use the cutout as the super/invincible/ace up the sleeve to completely blow the doors of my opponents (who would otherwise have beaten me horribly in a race b/c of the absolutely terrible flow characteristics of my muffler). Right?
My point exactly. which is why it should be based on personal sound preference. and honestly the cutout is only gonna give you 2 tenths or so, but in the name of free flowing exhaust, it gets the job done!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

I have a motto....

"FLOWMASTER.....Because all of the others sound like crap"
Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

ok how bout 40
Old 11-27-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
First off, some of these people sound like goddamn flowmaster sales reps
I'm just tired of people hating on an entire company for some hearsay bullshit they heard on the net. Not to mention Flowmaster is an American company that manufactures here, which is nice.
I dont take into account flow numbers for mufflers anymore. There are ways around that. Most people, despite what they say, Make it to the track AT MOST 52 days a year lol. The other 300 days, they are on the street. Alot of people who try out alot of different exhausts can probably tell you that the first week is always the best. When you pick out the parts you want, take into account the noise. You may love it the first week, but maybe a month later, you wont be able to stand it.
I understand your way of thinking completely. Its all about sound. I think that my system with a single 4 inch single chamber is absolute hot sex and **** between 3k and redline. Idle and cruising have their positives and negatives. It's rough taming a LT, no cat, camm'd car during idle and cruise when you demand sex at WOT.

I have flowmaster now and i love the way it sounds, go through a tunnel and hit it and just grin. it may not flow as well as my previous setups, but it sounds amazing.
Me too
My thoughts in bold.

Quick Reply: flowmaster 80 series muffler.... good buy?