LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

True Duals: 2.5" TOTL

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals: 2.5" TOTL

I know this is nothing new, and true duals with a two out the left style tip setup has been done, but I figured I would post up pics of my setup I finished this weekend.

I've been wanting to do my own true dual setup for awhile and finally bought a 110 gasless mig/flux-core welder so I could start on it. My setup is 2.5" aluminized steel piping with an x-pipe, routed over the axle to a Magnaflow 4x9x11 dual in/out muffler (#11379, no internal crossover). After that are two 3.5" stainless tips from the Magnaflow catback mounted in a TOTL style. I was worried they would look kind of big, but I like the look.

After getting everything tacked, I pulled it all off the car to weld it up. Then I ground all of the welds smooth for a clean appearance, and painted everything except the muffler and tips with high-temp exhaust paint.

I re-installed all of the parts, tacked the spots that would be clamped to make sure nothing would slide apart, and to keep the system easy to remove or install. Everything is done now, here's a few pictures of everything installed. Car is dirty and needs washed.

X-Pipe/Passenger cat assembly

I should add that in front of these true duals, I have BBK shorty headers, and OEM cats mounted in their factory locations. The x-pipe is mounted just behind where the factory y-pipe would be, in case I ever go to a longtube header. The sound is awesome and everything tucked up as high as the factory exhaust without touching anywhere on the body or the upper panhard bar.

-Brett

Last edited by wise690; 12-06-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Launching!

Looks Great! Get a sound clip for us if you get time.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for a soundclip. Not a fan of the TOTL design, but I know many are and this is a very clean setup. Looks great
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Launching!

I personally like the TOTL setup. Basic and simple looking. But not for everyone.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I've always liked the two on the left look.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running the same muffler in a 3" version dumped before the axle. You can kinda see it in my sig pic. Straight through, no baffles, louvers, or crossovers...basically two of their race bullets sharing one case for more clearance .

It sounds absolutely sinister with the longtubes and no cat, and I'm sure your setup has a very deep rumble to it.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done, sir. I love the stealthy nature of it, and I'm sure it sounds great.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great! nice work. I'm still in love with the sound of my TD X-rumbler dumped at the axle setup but I will inevitably switch back to over the upper panhard someday and this makes me reconsider TOTL. Definitely interested in a sound clip as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, definitely a sound clip! It looks really nice, I have always liked the 2OTL style!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice, I wish I could find someone here to do a setup like that on my t/a, but they are idiots and claim it can not be done on f-bodies. I can't wait to get stationed somewhere else!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

man that it wicked! Wish I had a good shop local to fab something up like that for me!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big_bird_93
Looks Great! Get a sound clip for us if you get time.
Thanks! I plugged my camera into the charger today. It's dark when I get off work but I'll definitely have some clips up this Saturday.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
+1 for a soundclip. Not a fan of the TOTL design, but I know many are and this is a very clean setup. Looks great
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Nice! I've always liked the two on the left look.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Puck
I am running the same muffler in a 3" version dumped before the axle. You can kinda see it in my sig pic. Straight through, no baffles, louvers, or crossovers...basically two of their race bullets sharing one case for more clearance .

It sounds absolutely sinister with the longtubes and no cat, and I'm sure your setup has a very deep rumble to it.
That's what caught my eye with this muffler. I noticed other members doing similar setups were using the muffler with the internal crossover, but I figured as far back as it is, a crossover won't do much for scavenging or exhaust flow. Very simple design, like you said, pretty much two Magnapacks in one case for a simple clean look. Your car looks good.

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Nicely done, sir. I love the stealthy nature of it, and I'm sure it sounds great.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Looks great! nice work. I'm still in love with the sound of my TD X-rumbler dumped at the axle setup but I will inevitably switch back to over the upper panhard someday and this makes me reconsider TOTL. Definitely interested in a sound clip as well.
Thanks! I would love to run dumped true duals, but this car is my DD and only vehicle, and our roads are full of potholes and dips around here. Did your car come with the factory totl system? Just noticed it was an SS. Looks good.

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
Yes, definitely a sound clip! It looks really nice, I have always liked the 2OTL style!
Thanks, should get some up by this weekend.

Originally Posted by manfred717
Very nice, I wish I could find someone here to do a setup like that on my t/a, but they are idiots and claim it can not be done on f-bodies. I can't wait to get stationed somewhere else!
It seems like most shops only like to do dumped setups from what I've read here. Never really dealt with any though. I can understand their reasoning for not wanting to do it if their employees aren't all that experienced. I spent about 4 weekends fitting pieces up a little bit at a time trying to get everything just right. Very time consuming and if you don't get the over-axle pieces fit just right, your left with an exhaust setup that rattles like crazy against the body or the suspension. I put a little over 60 miles on the car today with highway and city driving, and no rattles, squeaks, or evident leaks, so I'm going to call it good for now.

Originally Posted by IROCthisZ28forLife
man that it wicked! Wish I had a good shop local to fab something up like that for me!!!
Thanks, man. If you've got the time and tools, it's not that bad. I spent about the same amount as what a basic catback would cost, including the welding machine. I did have a lot of 2.5" mandrel bends left over from a previous dumped setup though.

Edit: This is the third true dual setup I've had, but the first one that included cats and ran over the axle and out the back. The first setup was dumped single-chamber knockoffs of Flowmasters design, but hung pretty low and was obnoxiously loud. Got tired of that, so I ran two generic 4" round bullets dumped at the axle. These were also too loud and too low, both setups did not include cats. So I went back to the Magnaflow catback until I started researching a few threads here and finally got brave enough to do this. Very happy with this setup. Loud, deep, and smooth at WOT, and whisper quiet doing 65 down the highway.

Last edited by wise690; 12-06-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Launching!

hey if you dont mind me asking how much did the pipe cost you? and where did you get it from and im guessing you have the mandrel bender right?

you can pm me if you want
Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wrecked the green SS a little over a year ago but, yes, it did have the TOTL SLP exhaust back when I bought it off a guy in 02 or 03. I guess I need to update my sig pic to my red 97 or at least put RIP on the green one. hehe..

I already have the BMR upper panhard that gives more room for the exhaust pipes. I'm guessing that sort of thing would have helped you out a bit. looks like you still have your stocker UPH, right?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Nice job!!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94lt1white_bird
hey if you dont mind me asking how much did the pipe cost you? and where did you get it from and im guessing you have the mandrel bender right?

you can pm me if you want
Nope, no mandrel bender. Just a 110 gasless mig welder, a reciprocating saw, grinder with a flap wheel, and a dremel with several different attachments. Did it all with the rear end of the car on ramps. Would of been nice to have had a lift.

It's hard to make an accurate parts list because I had the lap-joint clamps, a couple 2.5" bends and a few straight sections laying around before I ordered any parts, but here is a list of the pieces I did order, from Summit Racing, but most of these numbers are the same through any online store:

(5) WLK-42333, Dynomax 2.5" Mandrel: $16.95x5=$84.75
(1) MPE-11379, Magnaflow dual in/out: $95.74
Lap Joint clamps(I already had these from another company, but this is a similar part)
(4) WLK-33226, Lap Joint Clamp: $8.95x4=$35.80
(2) SUM-640025, 4ft 2.5" tubing: $13.95x2=$27.90

Grand total of: $244.19, plus whatever shipping was, can't remember.

You'll also need an X, or H pipe for a crossover. Not sure what brand or part number mine is but Magnaflow makes some nice pieces there too.

This is just a rough list, so plan carefully and study some of the bends in any catback or the factory exhaust and that will give you an idea of what to go for.

If you have LT's, it should be a lot easier. Just 2 3"-2.5" reducers and then go from there. i had to route everything like factory since I'm just running shorties and cats.

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I wrecked the green SS a little over a year ago but, yes, it did have the TOTL SLP exhaust back when I bought it off a guy in 02 or 03. I guess I need to update my sig pic to my red 97 or at least put RIP on the green one. hehe..

I already have the BMR upper panhard that gives more room for the exhaust pipes. I'm guessing that sort of thing would have helped you out a bit. looks like you still have your stocker UPH, right?
My bad man, I just looked back after I posted and saw that in your sig.

I was just looking at pics of the new Kooks 3" true duals where they used the BMR UPH and it looks like it opens that area up a lot, like the two 3" pipes cleared easily. My suspension is all stock right now. I was kind of wondering when I got to the axle just how hard it was going to be to get both pipes to keep from hitting either suspension, or the fuel tank heatshield, but they both clear everything now. My pics don't really show the gap around the pipe that well, but it's there.

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Looks great! Nice job!!
Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

That looks killer. Nice work man I'm curious of the sound as well!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Very nice looking exhaust.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

That's definetly nice for doing it in your garage. When I first got my Formula I wanted to make an exhaust pretty much like this into the tips I had except with the muffler before the rear end.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

i'm not a huge fan of the totl set up either, but you did an awesome job on that! super clean and great fitment!

Quick Reply: True Duals: 2.5" TOTL