LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thoughts On New 383 Combination

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts On New 383 Combination

Hello all,

I haven't posted here much but that might change now that I am finally getting my car back together. Posted below is the new combo thats just been built. The motor is finished and in the car. The last steps are having the NOS added and for it to be tuned. Just wanted to get a feel for what you all think.

93 2 bolt LT1 block converted to 4 bolt billet steel caps
Callies Compstar 3.750 crank
Oliver 6 inch rods
JE Pistons.....I think compression is 10.5
Fully ported 074 heads, stock valves
CC502 cam
CC 1.6 Magnum roller tip rockers
LT1 intake thats been ported
30lb injectors
Racetronix Walboro 255 kit and wiring harness
MSD Optispark
Kooks longtube headers 1 3/4"
Kooks catted 'Y' pipe
Mufflex 3.5" exhaust
700r4 trans built by Del Trans
PTC Converter, 3000 stall (approx)
3.73 gears
150 Nitrous shot

This is a street car that needs to get through a sniffer test at idle and 2500 rpm. It will see occasional track use. The better it runs the more it will see the track. I'd really like to see an 11 second slip on motor and 10's on juice. I have a few ideas on things I might change down the road, but this is what I have for now.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Rumblin70ss; 12-07-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a solid set-up. I was thinking the cam was a bit on the small side, but then I saw that you have to pass a sniffer. I think 11's are very possible with that set-up. I bet it will be a torque monster too.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good, but you may be shooting a bit too high on numbers...I think high 11's/low 12's NA, lower 11's on juice.
I'll be lucky to be in the 10's, and I'm putting down 650RWHP on FI.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Looks like a solid set-up. I was thinking the cam was a bit on the small side, but then I saw that you have to pass a sniffer. I think 11's are very possible with that set-up. I bet it will be a torque monster too.
Thanks for the compliment and response.....thats what I was kind of thinking!

Last edited by Rumblin70ss; 12-07-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qc97z
Looks pretty good, but you may be shooting a bit too high on numbers...I think high 11's/low 12's NA, lower 11's on juice.
Wow I guess I didn't realize it took that kind of power to be in the 10's! Has your car been to the track yet?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, you're going to be hard-pressed to break into the 11s easily. Not saying it can't be done, but alot of choices made on your build aren't helping your cause. I can respect the need to pass emissions though, so that will be your achilles heel as you can only make so much usable power. Stroker motors need lots of lift and duration and the 502 just doesn't cut it on a stroker application, not to mention the low static compression, only using a roller tip rocker and relatively low stall converter.

Who did the portwork on the heads? Anyone reputable in the LT1 community?

If I were you, I would lower your N/A goals and increase your N2O goals. In short, spray more.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
IMO, you're going to be hard-pressed to break into the 11s easily. Not saying it can't be done, but alot of choices made on your build aren't helping your cause. I can respect the need to pass emissions though, so that will be your achilles heel as you can only make so much usable power. Stroker motors need lots of lift and duration and the 502 just doesn't cut it on a stroker application, not to mention the low static compression, only using a roller tip rocker and relatively low stall converter.

If I were you, I would lower your N/A goals and increase your N2O goals. In short, spray more.
I agree about running your numbers n/a but I'm from the camp that feels that you don't need big duration, even in strokers to run fast. More lift? yes, but in my own application I run a 383 with a weenie 226/234 .568" lift cam. These motors love lift, but you can definitely go too far with duration...Hell, I was in the high 11s back in 1995 with the 383 and a Lingenfelter 211/219 .533/.560" cam, Vig 3600 and 3.42s, and went thru MD's strick emissions tests with ease. John Lingenfelter and I used to go 'round and 'round about duration in LT applications with stock ported heads and he finally won me over with dyno and track testing, not too mention valve train longevity.

In short, I'd look at another point of compression, a bit more lift, even that LPE 211/219 cam wouldn't be a bad choice especially because its proven and passes emissions, and might even consider a 3600 stall, even with the spray...Of course there's always a custom grind cam, too...Good luck with everything...

--Alan
Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which mufflex is it? If its the single in dual out you will be choking that motor. The MSD opti was unnecessary, hope you dont have issues with it. And as stated the stall choice isnt ideal, on a bone stock LT1 I wouldn't run anything less than a 3200, Id run a 3600 at least. The heads are going to be the x factor. I bought "fully ported" heads on the classifieds on here and they are only flowing 228/196. I think your quest for the 11s will be helped by the rest of your setup (suspension, stall etc)
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I do not know who ported the heads unfortunately, but I can get his name. I know he is familiar with the LT1, but I don't know the level of expertise. Are the full rollers worth that much more in terms of HP?

Originally Posted by ABA383
I agree about running your numbers n/a but I'm from the camp that feels that you don't need big duration, even in strokers to run fast. More lift? yes, but in my own application I run a 383 with a weenie 226/234 .568" lift cam. These motors love lift, but you can definitely go too far with duration...Hell, I was in the high 11s back in 1995 with the 383 and a Lingenfelter 211/219 .533/.560" cam, Vig 3600 and 3.42s, and went thru MD's strick emissions tests with ease. John Lingenfelter and I used to go 'round and 'round about duration in LT applications with stock ported heads and he finally won me over with dyno and track testing, not too mention valve train longevity.

In short, I'd look at another point of compression, a bit more lift, even that LPE 211/219 cam wouldn't be a bad choice especially because its proven and passes emissions, and might even consider a 3600 stall, even with the spray...Of course there's always a custom grind cam, too...Good luck with everything...

--Alan
Thanks again for the input! I'm kind of on the same plane as you as I don't think I need a whole ot of duration to run the number. In fact, seeing your car is one of the reasons I thought that this would be an 11 second combo. As far as compression, another point? I could run that on pump gas in these motors?

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Which mufflex is it? If its the single in dual out you will be choking that motor. The MSD opti was unnecessary, hope you dont have issues with it. And as stated the stall choice isnt ideal, on a bone stock LT1 I wouldn't run anything less than a 3200, Id run a 3600 at least. The heads are going to be the x factor. I bought "fully ported" heads on the classifieds on here and they are only flowing 228/196. I think your quest for the 11s will be helped by the rest of your setup (suspension, stall etc)
The mufflex kit is the single in/out kit with a flowmastter muffler. I bought it because I got such a good buy on it truly. The MSD opti was bought beacuse I kept going through regular opti's and I wanted a better part, so it wasn't so much for any performance gains.

In the quest for 11's, I am going to try to run what I have now. The car is in Florida and I should have it back around February. First thing is to get it through inspection and after that head to the track. Unfortunately its been about 5 years since I have even driven the car. I'm in the northeast and have some pretty good tracks here like Cecil and Atco so maybe the track will help me a little too with the good spring air. If it doesn't run the number, I will start with simple bolt ons such as the underdrive pulley, electric waterpump and some suspension pieces. If I pass the emissions test with flying colors, I can change out the cam, bump the nitrous and have the stall modified too. The only thing where I am really dead in the water would be with the compression. Money is aways a concern, but I can come up with it if I need it!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think the build looks fine, there are alot of knowledgeable people on here but dont take everything too seriously, i was told my motor is junk by forum members, companies, and others that i would be in the mid 300 RWHP, the bottom end is trash, converter is too small, but it put down 410 RWHP unlocked through single 3 inch exhaust and 4.10 gears...

good luck man.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stumprrp
i think the build looks fine, there are alot of knowledgeable people on here but dont take everything too seriously, i was told my motor is junk by forum members, companies, and others that i would be in the mid 300 RWHP, the bottom end is trash, converter is too small, but it put down 410 RWHP unlocked through single 3 inch exhaust and 4.10 gears...

good luck man.
Thanks man and I agree with you, which is why I will dyno and test before making any changes. I have seen things that are supposed to work that don't, and others do more than expected.

IIRC I think I have seen guys with just bolt ons running mid 12's. If people are doing that, I don't see why a mild 383 can't. If it doesn't, I'll take the appropriate actions!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

You people honestly think that car would have trouble hitting 11s? I don't get this forum at all.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, because you know sooooo much about it...lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

More CR and more stall would help a lot.

Being limited by emissions sucks, but you can still make it work .
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qc97z
Ummmmmmm this puzzles me there are some Cam only Lt1's in the 11's there are BOLT on cars in the 11's with weight reduction . you live in Denver or what?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

With the torque of the 383 along with a 3k converter and 3.73's, I don't think 11's will be a problem. Now with that much torque your main problem will be traction. Get a set of slicks or good drag radials and you should not have problems with running your goals. Hell I ran 10's with a 355' LT1, Le1 heads, 224/230cam and a 150 shot.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rumblin70ss
Wow I guess I didn't realize it took that kind of power to be in the 10's! Has your car been to the track yet?
650rwhp is more than enough to get you in the 9's as long as the car is setup for it.

I'm trying to figure out what that spiral groove thing he put in the chamber is for. I have never seen anything like it before.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i think that car should be able to poke into the 11's with supporting mods obveously (ie. tire, weight, tune) ........i mean the cam is a bit tame and who knows on the heads but like stated above you dont need a huggggeeee cam to make good power.......those heads are what leaves me up in the air on what is gonna do......matters how good they work....
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWHO
You people honestly think that car would have trouble hitting 11s? I don't get this forum at all.
Yeah, because you know sooooo much about it...lol.
Easy fellas......

Originally Posted by Puck
More CR and more stall would help a lot.

Being limited by emissions sucks, but you can still make it work .
Thats kinda what I am thinking......how much compression for pump gas on these motors? I have the small cam so I'm sure I can't get away with too much.

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Ummmmmmm this puzzles me there are some Cam only Lt1's in the 11's there are BOLT on cars in the 11's with weight reduction . you live in Denver or what?
LOL......thats why I asked if its been at the track yet.

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
With the torque of the 383 along with a 3k converter and 3.73's, I don't think 11's will be a problem. Now with that much torque your main problem will be traction. Get a set of slicks or good drag radials and you should not have problems with running your goals. Hell I ran 10's with a 355' LT1, Le1 heads, 224/230cam and a 150 shot.
Wow, that would be great! I have M/T drag radials on it now and they hooked great with the stock combo.

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
650rwhp is more than enough to get you in the 9's as long as the car is setup for it.

I'm trying to figure out what that spiral groove thing he put in the chamber is for. I have never seen anything like it before.
Not sure as I have never seen it before either....something similar to a fast burn head?

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i think that car should be able to poke into the 11's with supporting mods obveously (ie. tire, weight, tune) ........i mean the cam is a bit tame and who knows on the heads but like stated above you dont need a huggggeeee cam to make good power.......those heads are what leaves me up in the air on what is gonna do......matters how good they work....
We will soon see........thanks for all the input! Great to see all the different thoughts on this.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

ld shoot for 11.5:1 with a small high DCR cam.

A lot of engine builders and porters are pretty superstitious and that groove looks gimmicky to me - like the little notch some people put near the spark plug.

In all honestly I think it will just drop CR a tiny bit, won't hurt but won't help.

Quick Reply: Thoughts On New 383 Combination