LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smells RICH but only sitting at 42psi???? Any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smells RICH but only sitting at 42psi???? Any thoughts

Like the title states my car smells like it's running rich and it burns the hell out of my eyes. The only thing I've done different after my tune was swap my fuel pump out with another Walbro 255 and installed a Aeromotive AFPR.... My car needs bigger injectors from this point but I haven't installed the 42lbs yet cause I know I will need to have it tuned right afterwards and my tuner is 3.5hrs away. Not sure what the deal is. My car has been chilling in the garage and I usually start it every other week. Not sure if it's because it's not getting drove or what not. It fires right up but it's very strong! I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and it reads 42psi....I haven't attempted to mess with the regulator yet but I was thinking that if it was running that rich that my psi would most likely be higher. Hell actually I should have the psi a tad bit higher but in return wouldn't It be more rich???? Just a little concern I have! I have a SD tune so I dont utilize the MAF or O2's so not sure what the deal is! Any advice would be great and sorry for the book I just wrote.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A speed density tune can still use the O2s. I don't know why they would be turned off. I do understand turning off the MAF but that is a separate thing.

Put a stock regulator back on the car. Adjustable is not needed, only a chance for more problems and the Aeromotive LT1 regulator track record is pretty poor.

Beyond that is is 42psi at idle vacuum connected or disconnected?

The regulator's job is NOT to vary fuel pressure, but rather to keep it constant when compared to manifold vacuum. A fuel pressure gauge compares it to atmospheric pressure so when the manifold is seeing high vacuum we will see that as a lower fuel pressure reading, but the pressure differential at the injector nozzle never changes.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

My tuner tuned out the MAF and O2's.....Guess that's the way he gets best results or some ****. All I know is the car has never ran better after this tune vrs my mail order from MadTuner/madZ28. All vacuum lines are good to go. I just cranked the car up with the gauge hooked up and got a 42psi reading. I've done away with alot of stuff under my hood and dont utilize much vacuum stuff I guess. Come to think about it all I have is the one line off the fuel pressure regulator to the intake and that's it. My TB and intake are plugged off and the same with the passenger side valve cover. Did most of this a long time ago with the TB bypass. I have the PCV valve on the driver side with the U shaped hose that plugs into the intake as well.
I've been told to put a stocker FPR before. I've been told the Aeromotive's are inconsistant and the leak. Not sure about the functionality of it but I do know that it's doesn't leak a drop. I think I may swap it back out though! Not sure what that's going to do but maybe more consistant! I thought that you could up the psi with the AFPR more or less making the car think it has a slightly bigger injector. Not sure honestly much about this. I do know it smells like it's running rich and it's sitting at 42 psi.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the following in order of importance:

1. Stop sniffing the tailpipe

2. Install a wideband o2 so you know what the A:F is

3. Find a new tuner
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05HD

3. Find a new tuner
perfectly said
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 05HD

3. Find a new tuner
Well granite I'm starting it in the garage, it still smells rich. I open the door because it's pretty strong. Yeah I think i'll look into getting the wideband and also getting it retuned when I get to Florida. I'm sure there will be alot more tuners to choose from rather than the limited ones here in the middle of nowhere in Missouri! Like I said I had to drive 3.5 hrs to hit up redlinetuners in St.louis....I know we had the A/F dialed in at all rpm's along with shift points and that good stuff. At least I can monitor it with a wideband though so I'm gonna pick one up. Wish we had some more experince with LT1's around **** Noster, Mo that could help me out with a good tune. Cant wait to get back in the city life where there are more enthusiast
Old 12-27-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

tune it again
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My car needs bigger injectors and smells rich because I have no cats. When I start it up in the garage even with the door open it amplifies the smell, irritate my eyes, and make my clothes smell like smoke. Try to start it outside and see if the symptoms remain...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

you think its rich now ,throw those green tops on there!....data log and tune more...
Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its LEAN, trust me. Put a wideband in and tell us.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it is never gonna "smell" lean...you have no cats and the bullets dumped...So it will always smell like fuel...and if you have it in the garage then even worse...

Like said above no real reason to tune the maf and 02s out....

look up EFI Alchemy when you get back to Florida...
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds good guys! I will for sure throw a wideband in it to keep an eye on things. Yeah I new I was going to need another tune after I threw in the bigger injectors but I didn't know this until after I got the tune. The tuner said my injectors are maxed out at 118%. Yeah I'm not getting to Florida until June but will be getting a tune shortly after my arrival. My car didn't run lean when we tuned which is weird. All the A/F where spot on when I left there. What do you all thing about a street tune vrs dyno tune. The tuner that did mine said that he has seen better results with his street tunes rather than the dyno tunes that he does. I'm not to familiar with tuning period but for the amount it cost to get one i'm thinking about learning how to!!!! I thought about the no cat thing after I posted this and was thinking how this could cause a smell as well., like you said it's LT's into an X-pipe and then dumped so I could see this. Just never noticed it this bad. Thanks for the thoughts
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the tuner knows what he's doing, there shouldn't be a difference between a "street tune" and a "dyno tune!"

What I would do is hook the O2s BACK up and spend the $$$ on a decent mail-order tune (www.pcmforless.com, Ion, etc.). Cut your losses with this bozo, put your larger injectors in (don't even worry about the wide-band for now), and let someone else tune it.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just saw your at WAFB in missouri i know a great tuner in topeka that comes to KC sometimes.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If the tuner knows what he's doing, there shouldn't be a difference between a "street tune" and a "dyno tune!"

What I would do is hook the O2s BACK up and spend the $$$ on a decent mail-order tune (www.pcmforless.com, Ion, etc.). Cut your losses with this bozo, put your larger injectors in (don't even worry about the wide-band for now), and let someone else tune it.
See I had Ion Sultan send me my 1st two mail order tunes. My first one was great for my hotcam setup, my 2nd setup and tune well hell the damn car didn't even want to shift properly and this was with my stock trans and my brand new FLT 4L60E....He had the shift points set to shift after the rev limiter. So guess what, I was bouncing off the rev limiter like crazy at WOT! It was nuts. I thought I jacked up 2 tranny's but not likely, lol! As far as I know I could have wasted $2K on a new trans from FLT....My stocker may have been just fine. I thought it was slipping like crazy and it wasn't that at all. I'm still waiting for FLT to contact me when they rip open my stocker so I can know what was going on with the stocker. Anyways I may cut my losses and get a pcmforless mail order for now. Pisses me off cause it was 3.5 hour drive and it cost me $350. Whatever though learn from istakes, expensive ones at that. I think I'm going to wait on a good dyno tune until I get this new head/cam package from AI when taxes come in....Should be quite nice with the custom cam and the 212cc CNC’d 21deg TFS heads. Well see what happens. Yeah I need to slap in the fuel injectors as well for sure. I'm getting ready to drop alot of cash on this car at the end of Jan-beginning Feb. I was just trying to knock out the annoying things during the winter..... It will be under the knife for the 3rd time shortly. Can't make up my mind on things.

Yeah I'm stationed at the WAFB out here in **** noster, mo middle of no where, lol! Do you have a good name and # for the guy your talking about in topeka that can tune? I wouldn't mind talking with him to see if we can tweak my **** before I head out in June.

Quick Reply: Smells RICH but only sitting at 42psi???? Any thoughts