LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Would it be okay to tow with LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be fine with the proper set up. People will hate you though...just sayin.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
You mean like this? I towed both of these things 500 miles from Connecticut to West Virginia, and both times the car was completely loaded down with food/clothes for the semester. Towed fine, but you definitley felt it. I still have the hitch, and am looking to sell it. With a standup jetski in a not loaded down car, you will be fine.

Damn, and I thought I was redneck by hauling things in my TA, this takes the cake.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol yeah i know people have already started hating, but whatever....if anyone's curious this is my setup..

my dolley is exactly this but with different tires...
http://www.wheeleez.com/jet-ski-dolly-d12.php

and my jet ski is 320 lbs and this size..
http://www.academyrentals.com/images/650sx.jpg
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I am just... speechless to the idealism here. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should? That’s funny because that’s the same as just because you can't doesn't mean you shouldn't try. How the hell do you think people have come up with the crazy and cool parts we all drool over? You guys are like ****’s at the key board. I say F**k popular opinion and do what makes sense. If that means towing it with a Camaro or having to go out and buy something else, so be it. Just because everyone shoots them selves in the head, are u? It’s kind of like when everyone I knew went out and paid way to much for an SUV in 2000 (because someone from work or who they know has one) when their the only one in the freakin thing driving to work and they don’t tow anything. lol Do what you have to, Life is not a popularity contest. Do what makes sense since no one else on this planet seems to.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

You'll be fine towing. I would leave it in gear a little longer before shifting, get up to whatever speed you want to go before putting it in OD, and take it easy on the clutch. A few years ago when all I had was my 94 Mustang GT I put a hitch on it and towed my motorcycle from FL to TN to go ride in the mountains. It did fine. Got a lot of weird looks though lol. A lady at a gas station in GA told me "boy them mustangs are for lookin purty not for pullin stuff" haha. The LT1 has a lot more power/torque than the ol 5.0 stang did so that'll help. Look around at the different hitches available too. The one I had you couldn't see unless you were looking for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Wow I am just... speechless to the idealism here. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should? That’s funny because that’s the same as just because you can't doesn't mean you shouldn't try. How the hell do you think people have come up with the crazy and cool parts we all drool over? You guys are like ****’s at the key board. I say F**k popular opinion and do what makes sense. If that means towing it with a Camaro or having to go out and buy something else, so be it. Just because everyone shoots them selves in the head, are u? It’s kind of like when everyone I knew went out and paid way to much for an SUV in 2000 (because someone from work or who they know has one) when their the only one in the freakin thing driving to work and they don’t tow anything. lol Do what you have to, Life is not a popularity contest. Do what makes sense since no one else on this planet seems to.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

So to everyone saying no, what about all the people in Drag Week that haul trailers? A local guy here hauls one with his C5 to every stop.

BTW I find it very humorous to see all the people calling him trashy and redneck for this when they can't even fathom how to form a proper and complete sentence. Nor can they spell all the words in that train wreck of a sentence...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
r u mexican?

And NOOOOOOO to answer that
What does being mexican have to do with it? Maybe Redneck?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I'm pretty redneck and I don't really adgree with towing with any car evenvif they can do it it was designed for it but I also understand if you have to you have to just make sure you set it up right...
Now the guy with the Chevy pick up bed trailer I can't believe you actual thought that using a two by four for a tough is ok especially for 500 miles I've done some redneck stuff that's just idiotic
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

F and B bodies aside, the 92-97 LT1 engine can pass for a truck motor anyday...Put it in an average 1/2 ton truck and it will tow a 7500 pound trailer easy....
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it. It should be fine. Main thing I'd be worried about when pulling something really heavy would be stopping.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Bingo. I couldn't believe some the things I was reading in here. Apparently people with at the very newest, a 14 year old car, think its too prestigious to be seen pulling a trailer. It's a damn car, he wants to pull a jet ski with it the car will do just fine. I know alot of guys that haul a small trailer behind their car with tires on it to a race event. Could they buy a truck, a trailer, and just haul the car with the race tires on it to the track? Of course, but there is no need to when what they have works better than fine.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

LT1 torque ftw!!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

another reason people make fun of LT1 owners
Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

that isn't real btw. me and my buddy were just out takin some pics and found this boat tucked in behind some empty buildings. i would never haul anything with my car
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHot
Bingo. I couldn't believe some the things I was reading in here. Apparently people with at the very newest, a 14 year old car, think its too prestigious to be seen pulling a trailer. It's a damn car, he wants to pull a jet ski with it the car will do just fine. I know alot of guys that haul a small trailer behind their car with tires on it to a race event. Could they buy a truck, a trailer, and just haul the car with the race tires on it to the track? Of course, but there is no need to when what they have works better than fine.
It's a ~14 year old car owned by those who were shitting their diapers when they first debuted.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
If that car would have beaten me I would have put a FOR SALE sign on my car the next day...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedlt1
LT1 torque ftw!!

I know this pic is fake, but it still made me laugh...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Do we all remember what cars we are driving here? We have a reputation to uphold. That is why I tell everyone that my wife is my sister and that she is a goat! I don't think towing a light load will hurt the esteemed reputation of Camaro and Firebird owners everywhere.

Cliffs: Yeah, you'll be fine towing a light load.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

yes it would do just fine

Quick Reply: Would it be okay to tow with LT1's?