LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing LT1 with Tranny attached

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see how it could be easier through the top, but I've only pulled mine out the bottom. No accessories to remove, the radiator stays on the car, intake stays on the motor, wiring harness stays with the motor. You don't have to fool with the motor mounts, etc, etc, etc. Just seems a lot easier to me. Remove driveshaft, crossmember, gas lines from fuel rail, 2 brake lines, steering knuckle, and 3 bolts on each side holding the K-member, and lift the car. don't even have to take the exhaust manifolds off either. Then when you reassemble, it seems much easier since you can have everything on the motor when it goes back in.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just too afraid to do it out the bottom, I don't understand how one can do it safely without a lift. I don't want my pride and joy dangling 4ft in the air on wood blocks.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well considering my car is in a parking garage with 10 ft. ceilings i don't think i'd be able to lift the car high enough
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a mustang out the bottom, Its easy but we had everything already disconnected I think its just as easy out the top.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Out the top is the only way to go
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
Out the top is the only way to go
Maybe for you, but I would never even consider it seeing how easy it comes out the bottom fully assembled. But different people have access to different tools which would obviously influence the decision to go from top or bottom.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I'm just too afraid to do it out the bottom, I don't understand how one can do it safely without a lift. I don't want my pride and joy dangling 4ft in the air on wood blocks.
I use a come-along hoist mounted to an I-beam in my uncles shop. Just leave the rear tires on the ground, hook up the front to the hoist and up you go. Motor on wheels, tranny on jack (or dolly). Pull the motor out from under the car and you can set the car back down on jack stands. I wouldn't use the wood block method either. Only disadvantage is not being able to move the car without some creativity.

This is really just a pissing contest. Theres no right or wrong way to do it. Read up on how to do it both ways and decide which is better for you with what you have, then go for it.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with doing it out the bottom is because most people think it's unconventional, therefore it must be unsafe and the wrong way to do it.

Everyone has to admit though, being able to leave the radiator in, installing the headers, spark plugs, plug wires, ALL front accessories, wiring harness, PCM, etc., on an engine stand is a HELL of a lot easier when the engine is out of the car. NO ONE can really dispute that. Who wants to bend over the fender trying to install headers when you could easily install them sitting down 10 feet from the car? It is infinitely easier out the bottom.

Bottom line there are pros and cons to both, but for me, out the bottom is the obvious choice.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

My headers only take a few minutes to put on with the motor in the car, but i deleted everything near them so its easy.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AChotrod
My headers only take a few minutes to put on with the motor in the car, but i deleted everything near them so its easy.
I un-bolted my driver's side header and it wouldn't go 2 inches in any direction, much less come all the way out. Did you delete the K-member and steering ? Seriously though, do you have to unbolt the motor mounts when installing headers? Mine were installed when the motor was out, so I never tried installing them conventionally. I had to move the driver's side header so I could grind on the K-member for clearance.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

I do. It makes life easier.
Heres the the bay. Not much near the headers so they slip in from the top. I just put a bolt in the block hook it up to an engine hoist and do one side at a time
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mguidry629
Maybe for you, but I would never even consider it seeing how easy it comes out the bottom fully assembled. But different people have access to different tools which would obviously influence the decision to go from top or bottom.

I use a come-along hoist mounted to an I-beam in my uncles shop. Just leave the rear tires on the ground, hook up the front to the hoist and up you go. Motor on wheels, tranny on jack (or dolly). Pull the motor out from under the car and you can set the car back down on jack stands. I wouldn't use the wood block method either. Only disadvantage is not being able to move the car without some creativity.

This is really just a pissing contest. Theres no right or wrong way to do it. Read up on how to do it both ways and decide which is better for you with what you have, then go for it.

i have access to every tool id need to do it out the bottom including a lift and ive done it out the bottom once on my car and 2 times on a buddies. out the top is just what i prefer, it takes me no time to yank the wiring harness, take off the fuel lines, yank headers and intake. The mounts and drives shaft are easy and straight foward its just the way thats easiest for me plus im **** and anytime i drop the k memeber i take the car to the shop and align it. I dont think its hard or takes a long time either way.

Everything is just nuts and bolts mane!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

This just seems like a crazy argument, out the bottom is so much easier! I helped pull one out the top, and pulled mine out the bottom. it took longer for my friend to pull his out the top having done it before than it took me pulling mine out the bottom by myself for my first time, and we are both mechanics.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Launching!

AChotrod: nice engine!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for out the bottom.

I think it comes down to how much disassemby/assembly you're comfortable with while the motor is still in the engine bay. Also, how your clearances are... you folks with everything deleted obviously have alot less stuff in the way so, header bolts, plugs, and lines are much easier to access while everything is still inside.

In/out the bottom is conveniant for getting almost all parts in place and torqued down properly and then just putting it in as a whole.

I've done this once from the top and twice now out the bottom. Safety was a big concern the first time I tried from the bottom but, once I checked and double check things it doesn't bother me any more than doing an oil change.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

I've always taken it out the top just because it's traditional. May try the bottom next time. Damn headers are horrible.

Quick Reply: Removing LT1 with Tranny attached