LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

big bore lt1 block? still happening or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big bore lt1 block? still happening or not?

A while back I knew there was gentlemen taking names to try and push GM to make a few more big bore lt1 blocks. Whatever happened to this? I tried to search for the thread but could remember the thread name. Was it shot down or still in the works? Just curious thanks Braden
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KeysZ28
A while back I knew there was gentlemen taking names to try and push GM to make a few more big bore lt1 blocks. Whatever happened to this? I tried to search for the thread but could remember the thread name. Was it shot down or still in the works? Just curious thanks Braden
There were two episodes where we were "teased".

First, Dart took polls, got a demo block and everything, before bailing on the last minute. They were going to re tool their SBC blocks into LT1s. Didn't leave me the best impression of Dart, but I digress...

Then, even more exciting IMO, SPDC was trying to get GM to make more of their ultra-rare Bowtie LT1 blocks (which werent even supposed to exist officially). Haven't heard much progress on that one, but I know they were taking names and pushing GM to do it. GM of course already has the tooling and machinery, and won't need to develop anything new - the pieces of the puzzle are all there, with a couple actually made. The problem is, a huge global entity like GM isn't going to remove the covers and dust off decade old machines and molds for a 5-10 order run.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it's going to happen just like the LTx dart block that was looking good for a while but is dead now as well. LSx is about the only option unless you want to go back to a gen 1 then motown and others have big bore blocks.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
There were two episodes where we were "teased".

First, Dart took polls, got a demo block and everything, before bailing on the last minute. They were going to re tool their SBC blocks into LT1s. Didn't leave me the best impression of Dart, but I digress...

Then, even more exciting IMO, SPDC was trying to get GM to make more of their ultra-rare Bowtie LT1 blocks (which werent even supposed to exist officially). Haven't heard much progress on that one, but I know they were taking names and pushing GM to do it. GM of course already has the tooling and machinery, and won't need to develop anything new - the pieces of the puzzle are all there, with a couple actually made. The problem is, a huge global entity like GM isn't going to remove the covers and dust off decade old machines and molds for a 5-10 order run.
Dart handled their situation very poorly. Scoggin-Dickey was trying to get an outside company to make the blocks with the GM molds iirc. I don't think they actually wanted GM to cast the blocks they just wanted to use the molds. I could be wrong though, that was a year ago.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

A 421 powered Nova and ltx camaro!? Mmm would be nice but completely unnecessary for me. lol Would be fun to play with a big bore ltx. I hope they do come out with something like this.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe it will eventually happen. There are 2 sources for big bore 409 blocks these days. That's about the same kind of market as we have I'd bet. The differences are the shear number of LT1 vehicles.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I believe it will eventually happen. There are 2 sources for big bore 409 blocks these days. That's about the same kind of market as we have I'd bet. The differences are the shear number of LT1 vehicles.
Bill Mitchell was behind World Prodcuts building the 409 blocks. He also happens to own World Products and has a very storied history back in the day racing 409's. The market is tiny for the 409's but he built it anyway. It is his passion. We just need Tony S. to build a foundry and we are all set!

Here is the thread on the Dart forum:

http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Notice how many replies and views it had. It was by far the most popular thread on that tiny board.

Last edited by joelster; 03-08-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bill Mitchell & World Products actuall colaborated with Lamar Walden on those blocks. They are really just a hybrid of of WP's existing Merlin Aluminum bbc blocks. There is a REAL, big bore 409 block available from Bob Walla racing engines.
Sorry....not trying to throw this off topic....but if there is enough market for those, then certainly there would be for a large bore LT1. Especially now that the 24x conversions are becoming more popular, not to mention Wicked's opti eliminator. Once people stop fearing constant ignition problems, the LT1 is going to see a re-surge in popularity I believe.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

well i can say this. i attended the sportsman challenge in houston on sunday. i counted 4 lt1 powered cars. all 4 had factory tbs, heads, cubes. 3 had factory intakes. 2 wer moser cars. didnt spot a single lsx car. idk why that is. maybe i wasnt lookin hard enough
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Hey everyone thanks for the info. I knew that dart had cancelled but wasn't sure what ever happened on the second attempt with gm. That would amazing if he could get the blocks made. I don't think I would ever be able to use the big cube block to it's fullest pontental but it sure would be cool to try lol. Thanks again for the update everyone, let's keep our fingers crossed
Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Short answer:

NO.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be little to no after market growth for LT1's. There just isn't enough of an after market for the companies to justify the R&D time. If you want a big cube engine go with an LSx, plain and simple.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
There will be little to no after market growth for LT1's. There just isn't enough of an after market for the companies to justify the R&D time. If you want a big cube engine go with an LSx, plain and simple.
You mean SBC .
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a guy who converted two Donovan gen 1 aluminum blocks for LT1 use, set it up to use the opti, the LT1 mechanical waterpump, reverse flow cooling, LT1 intake. If the market genuinely was there you would see a few more folks doing things like this. Not that everyone who would buy a aftermarket LTx block would instead convert a gen 1 but again I believe if the market were there a few more folks would be doing that.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There is a guy who converted two Donovan gen 1 aluminum blocks for LT1 use, set it up to use the opti, the LT1 mechanical waterpump, reverse flow cooling, LT1 intake. If the market genuinely was there you would see a few more folks doing things like this. Not that everyone who would buy a aftermarket LTx block would instead convert a gen 1 but again I believe if the market were there a few more folks would be doing that.
Wasn't the big cube LT1 engine that was in the RWD converted Monte Carlo (mid 90's) GM Performance show car built around a converted aftermarket SBC aluminum 400 block? I remember hearing that anyway. The car was green and used the entire suspension and floor pan (stretched to fit the MC wheelbase) from a 4th gen F-body. I never got to see any real details on this car....or the BBC swapped F-body, Impala SS, and C4 vette from the same era. I did see a good write up on the T56 swapped Impala and the T56 swapped S10 Blazer (which already had an LT1 swapped previously.) All were GM built cars.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am referring to Jeff Green and his 96 Impala, was invited to the Pump Gas Drags a couple times, in a car that retains ABS, AC, power leather, stock computer, opti, 4L60E, 8.5" 10-bolt. The guy like a challenge and actually tries to find the limits of factory parts.
Last I heard he was chewing up brakes slowing it from near 160mph and had the tuneup dialed back just after launch because if he let the power come in like it wanted he would just strip the pinion.

He had converted 2 Donovan blocks and a couple years ago sold off the second one but I never heard what became of it. Sort of like we never heard of what became of any of the few "bowtie" blocks that popped up.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

over 17k views on Darts site says to me they would have made some coin producing these blocks. 18K+ if you combine both threads on it. I think they made a big mistake
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

To be honest I would have bought one just because. Especially if they are near the price of the LSX blocks. I would have rather spent the money on a block I new was good instead of chancing it on a junk yard engine or something out of some guys garage (stupid cheap *** me) Both of which were junk internally and not worth 300 bucks for just the block. That’s called piece of mind instead of piece of crap. Most of us have been there and ended up buying a engine at some point that I wouldn't even put in my flower bed as a planter. Hope they do it but I'm planed for them not doing it for a long long time. Remind me again... How old is the newest ORIGINAL 409.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Remind me again... How old is the newest ORIGINAL 409.
HAHAHA Production ended in mid 65 as the 396 phased in....so 46 years. LOL Several before I was even thought of. I referenced it just because it is a niche market, yet it IS a profitable one. They built a ton more LT1 powered vehicles though. Plus that engine was one of many that would/will fit in those cars without alot of expense. For the many different LT1 body styles....nothing else works without alot of expense if you want to keep the vehicle fuel injected. Hell that 24x conversion costs as much as a big bore block would probably sell for. I bet there would be more people interested in bigger cubes.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

When I found out that Dart cancelled the BB LT1 I just rebuilt my stock block and threw in nice set of heads and cam. They had their chance.

Quick Reply: big bore lt1 block? still happening or not?