LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 interior wiring. ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 interior wiring. ignition

heres how it all went down. befor me and my bud put the motor in it his dad was gona sell the car and they lost the key so his dad had his friend put a new lock cylander or turn key in it. (ppl call it all diff things. its where u put the key in to start the car lol) the car never sold, we put a motor in it and started it. all a sudden we notice blinkers dont work, brake lights dont work, defrosters dont work abs dont work. but if the headlights are on and you hit the left blinker the abs and defrosters work. so he sold the car to me for almost nothing. i took the hush panel out and the kicker panel out and noticed a lt blue, dk blue, and brown wire was cut. plug that goes to the ignition switch is hanging. but it starts up fine and everything. i dont get it.
why would this guy cut those wires. if anyone could give me pics of how its supposed to look under there or any input on why this guy did this other than hes a hack would be awsome!

btw i cant find the ignition switch so i think the dude took it out or something. please help. thank you
Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

This will give you a view of some of it:

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

Sounds like the guy tried to get around the antitheft system "VATS" but got off into the weeds doing it. Something that would be easy if you knew what parts you needed to isolate and how VATS works. Your best bet is to get it open and start looking to match up wires that were cut and restore them.

How VATS works:

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Since the ignition lock cylinder & key were replaced with one that did not have the 2 thin wires that lead to the VATS module, you'll need to perform the VATS bypass procedure (one of a couple of ways to do it):

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

Get the wiring cleaned up and restored, other than the missing VATS wires (would normally read the key pellet resistance value through the lock cylinder), and you'll (likely) have everything working again.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Teching In

i have come to a conclusion that im pretty much screwed. im prob gona rip everything out and get an ez harness or something like that. but thanks alot that site showed me alot of stuff
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I think it would be easier just to get some schematics and fix a couple of cut wires.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 AM
Teching In

That's what I thought. I connected the cut wires under dash and started the car. Did nothing at all. I then took the fuse/relay box off and looked at the wires and there wires that go to only one side of fuses and not from the other side. Fuses like abs bat, abs ign, injector, air pump, and I think one more. I peeled back the plastic that covers the wires that go to fuses from the firewall and I can't find the missing wires.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like it was being gutted to be a race car or something. You really have a project on your hands, now.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Teching In

I don't think it was being gutted, it might have bin but the way everything is set up and messed up doesn't seem like it was gona be gutted. I was thinking of getting this.
http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/pro...-harness-kits/

What do u think? Is it a good idea? Ill post some pics of what's messed up on the car if you want.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Teching In

I can also get a 94 formula harness or 95 z28 harness for cheap from some of my friends. Could I use one of those in the car? Did they change anything?

Quick Reply: lt1 interior wiring. ignition