LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just want to make sure im doing this right

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just want to make sure im doing this right

Hey just want to make sure its as easy as it looks, my power steering line (from the fill tank next to the batter, to the suspension) fell down against the alternator belt and it burnt a hole right through it. Just want to see if any one else has had this probelem, and was wondering if i literally just detach the old hose and attach a new one...

thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Bumpp
Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

PS hose replacement will be a tad messy, but not hard at all. Replace the hose, start filling with fluid through the reservoir. To get the air out, you'll need to get it to where you can see the fluid in the reservoir, start it up, turn the wheels as far as they'll go both ways ("lock to lock"). Add fluid and repeat as necessary until all the air's out and the fluid in the reservoir is in the operating range between cold and warm on the cap/stick. Nothing to it...

Edit: turn the wheel slowly so you don't create surge/bubbles...
Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Teching In

I assume I bleed all the old liquid out, into a pan or something. Then is there something I need to unscrew or a cap I open to bleed the air out? Other than that it seems easy. Can I get one of these hoses from autozone?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about trying to get all the old fluid out- chances are you've lost a lot already (hose from the reservoir that's pierced?) and the reservoir is already empty. And you're not going to get it out of the rack unless you disconnect the lines there, attach a dual diaphragm hand pump, etc. and manually blow it out. But all that's going way overboard. Just replace the hose, fill it and bleed it by slowly turning the wheels as far as they'll go several times, adding fluid as you go. It will bleed air out through the reservoir as the PS system fills with fluid.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see store availability at AZ in my area, but Advance carries the pressure hose and if you have to you can use Thermoid (brand) PS return hose (cut to length, check your hose diameter!).
Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Awesome!! Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Just want to make sure im doing this right