LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Not Running - Need Help

Old 01-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Not Running - Need Help

So it pretty much randomly my 97 Z28 has stopped running. It wont start unless I give about half throttle, and then it sounds and runs like complete sh*t almost like its only running on 3 cylinders. If I dont give it throttle, it will just clunk and die, but there is no revving the motor at all. Even if you give it WOT it just runs at about 2k rpm but still very rough.

So far I have put new plugs in it and new o2 sensors because I had a previous problem about a year and a half ago with it running extremely rich and fouling out one o2 sensor. I only replaced that 1 at the time and never solved why it was running so rich. So now I have 2 new o2 sensors and the extensions for long tubes. About 6-8 months ago I put a new Racetronix/Wahlbro fuel pump and relay in it. It is not throwing any codes and I have scanned it and cleared it about 10 times. I have no idea how it could run this terrible and not throw any codes. I hooked up a fuel pressure tester gauge and when priming the pump it is at 46 psi, since it wont idle I dont know what the pressure is there, but while giving it throttle its also about 46 psi. The last thing I did was take off the intake manifold to have a look, cleaned it up a bit, painted it, and put it back on with a felpro gasket. While I did that I looked for any clogged injectors and put new o-rings on them.

At this point I am completely stumped and have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help me out??
Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it getting spark and fuel at every cylinder?
Old 01-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BTC
Is it getting spark and fuel at every cylinder?
Yeah I guess that would be a good place to start. I have never actually done this before, I assume I can just pull each wire, put an extra plug in, then look for spark when it cranks? How do I check for fuel?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by derekstl
Yeah I guess that would be a good place to start. I have never actually done this before, I assume I can just pull each wire, put an extra plug in, then look for spark when it cranks? How do I check for fuel?
Same thing, just pull the injectors
Old 01-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Ok, I checked all of the plug wires and I have spark in each one. I am looking into how to pull the injectors one by one and test them. I know a few weeks ago I checked several of them with a multimeter and they were good.

Last edited by derekstl; 01-03-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Still not sure how to test the injectors. Anybody have some insight?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

There is a tool you can buy that works like a timing light for your injectors, I saw it on the Scotty Kilmer show, (www.scottykilmer.com) OR you can remove your fuel rail and injectors from your intake manifold. Reconnect your injectors to the fuel rail along with all proper wiring but do NOT reinsert the injectors into the manifold. Have someone crank the car and watch each injector for proper volume and spray pattern. If the injectors are the case you can buy aftermarket replacements here, (www.fuelinjectorconnection.com) I replaced the injectors on my LT1 and haven't had a problem with them since.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Launching!

So I tried to test my injectors, I pulled the fuel rail off and was going to plug them in one by one to watch the spray pattern, but turns out two of them are missing the injector clips that hold them to the fuel rail. Without them, once my pump primes and the lines are pressurized, the injectors pop off and fuel pours out. I guess I am going to order some online for $6 a piece I don't know how to test without them
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Launching!

So I was able to hold on those two injectors by using some clamps and clipping the injector to the fuel rail. Then I could test each of them one by one. So now I checked all of them and they all seem to spray just fine.

Now I know that I have spark and fuel at each cylinder, and I assume I am getting air because I can see the valve open up in the throttle body. Now I am officially stumped again and still have no check engine light. Anyone have some ideas on what's going on?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I have no idea how it could run this terrible and not throw any codes.
Possibly because the rotor in the opti is loose and firing random cylinders at will.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Launching!

I sure hope it's not the PITA opti! I haven't replaced it in several years now, but I don't know what would cause it to go bad. How would I test something like that?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Village Troll

How would I test something like that?
You take it off and take it apart. If loctite wasn't used on the rotor screws then they are prone to back out and cause symptoms exactly like what you're experiencing.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I sure hope it's not the PITA opti! I haven't replaced it in several years now, but I don't know what would cause it to go bad. How would I test something like that?
When you replaced it, what brand optispark did you use?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Launching!

It's been about 5 years since I replaced it and I honestly can't ferment what kind it was . . . I've slept since then. I think it was a Jegs brand. I guess I can look to see if the screws backed out and the rotor is loose this weekend. I will probably do some more testing for vacuum leaks first before I go through the effort to pull the water pump off.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Village Troll

Any backfiring? It would have to be one huge *** vacuum leak to cause those symptoms.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Any backfiring? It would have to be one huge *** vacuum leak to cause those symptoms.
Nope, no backfires at all, just consistently runs like sh*t or stumbles. I think it is more severe than a vacuum leak as well, but I figured I will try it.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Launching!

So I finally got around to removing the opti this weekend. The books were still tight and thepin was in the right location so I don't think that was the root of my problems. Once I pulled the opti and inspected it, I noticed the connector and plug wire for cylinder 2 was very corroded. Do you guys think this would cause a major issue? Obviously is not good and would impact that one cylinder, but I don't know if it would be major enough to cause the symptoms I am having.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Launching!

So I finally got around to removing the opti this weekend. The bolts were still tight and the pin was in the right location for the timing so I don't think that was the root of my problems. Once I pulled the opti and inspected it, I noticed the connector and plug wire for cylinder 2 was very corroded. Do you guys think this would cause a major issue? Obviously is not good and would impact that one cylinder, but I don't know if it would be major enough to cause the symptoms I am having.

Last edited by derekstl; 02-15-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:42 AM
Village Troll

One corroded plug wire will not cause the engine to stumble. Just a shot in the dart, but have you unplugged the MAF and started it? I honestly don't know the symptoms of a bad MAF (you can do a search. It has been covered before), and not sure if there is a possibility of a bad MAF w/out throwing codes.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Anybody have an idea on how big if an issue this is? I plan to clean it up a bit, maybe out some dialectic grease on it and put it back together. Just figured I would check with everyone else to see if you had other ideas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Not Running - Need Help