LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

It wont stay running! The sage continues, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry It wont stay running! The sage continues, please help

Let me start off by what I did today. Woke up, took my thermostat off, popped in a 160 and replaced until... I broke the housing bolt off Ran to work, got my buddy over drilled out the bolt and fixed it all up. Somewhere in between this I replaced the opti harness & ignition coil and it started !!!! Refilled the engine coolant, checked all the hoses replaced some hose clamps. Buddy left and said call if it breaks. Well... it ran fine, idled for a few minutes in my drive way and took it for a spin around the block. Opened up the bleeder valves and checked temp. Was at about 200 idling. Dropped to 180-160 when driving. Decided one more spin down the street....... Driving and i noticed I can't turn, oil pressure was zero and I cut the engine. The engine actually stalled but i didn't realize it the FIRST time. Wouldn't start back up, waiting 10-15 minutes and it did start back up. Drove it straight to my buddys house 6 minutes away but a few blocks before his house dies again. Get a ride to his house, get back to the car and starts back up, dies right in his driveway. By die I mean the engine stalls completely, oil pressure drops to zero & throws check gauge light.

So, it dies when it's hot. Coolant is not leaking anywhere, belt it still on, battery is good. It has a giant exhaust leak but i'm getting headers soon, throwing codes but thought it was due to not pluggin in the maf sensor the first time the codes were maf sensor flow or some crap and a few others, I cleared them and didn't write them down. Now my buddy said that doesn't matter He thinks its related to the distributor or the module to the distributor? It's going to his buddy across the street tomorrow with a lift for further break down. What does everyone think? I need suggestions on what it could be and how to keep this cheap, i'm running on zero dollars this week
longest post by me ever btw, thanks for reading and helping!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your on the right track. Get the icm tested before replacing anything. Test for fuel Pressure and spark when it dies.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Sounds like your on the right track. Get the icm tested before replacing anything. Test for fuel Pressure and spark when it dies.
Thanks, glad to know i'm not hugely off. Just replaced the ICM after a NO start at all issue. This is going to sound dumb but when i put my Ignition Coil back in i put it in upside down. Sensor down/ plug up as opposed to the opposite as it came off, that CAN't make a difference or related at all to this, right? Stupid chain of events this car has been lately.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTH is SLP CIA ?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killagt
WTH is SLP CIA ?
I'm really surprised no one has pointed that out to me yet. I have the slp cold air intake oops.

Still looking for any other input on my topic
Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you use heat sink grease when you replaced the ICM? You must.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shbox
Did you use heat sink grease when you replaced the ICM? You must.
I used all of what grease came with the kit, there was very little when i took the old one off. New one is coated in the white stuff that came with it.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
I'm really surprised no one has pointed that out to me yet. I have the slp cold air intake oops.
Nah. In the LT1 world those two acronyms are as well known as "LOL WTF."
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

where is the exhause leak, upstream of 02's?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

No spark no pulse after it heats up. Starts back up and quickly dies. What heats up cuts out the spark & pulse same time and
Cools then fires up? Need help my buddy and I are at a loss.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Gonna replace the cap rotor distributor. No other ideas. Replaced module and coil. Throwing code p1371 again. Replaced opti harness too.

Quick Reply: It wont stay running! The sage continues, please help