Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Leaking, need part # for plug

It's on the driver's side...

Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having troubles as to what plug you are referring to. The freeze plug? That's not what seems to be leaking. And is that the top of the engine at the top of the pic or is it upside down? It seems like the picture is upside down because of the trail the coolant takes to the point of drip.
Seems like the coolant is coming from the blue gasket at the bottom. Right below (above if upside-down) where that bronze colored patch of metal is in the bottom right hand. So that looks more like a gasket problem then a plug problem? So please try and clarify what your trying to tell us is leaking and whats up with the picture. Then we can give you the best answer possible. Again this is just what I think it is based on what I see, and in my mind it could be a lot different then what you are actually trying to show.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have head studs? The freez plug isnt leaking considering you have the coolant higher that it.

If you have studs, check around the base of the bolt for coolant, they like to leak. Bolts could as well I suppose. If you cant chase any coolant from a stud/bolt hole, check the steam pipe in the back as coolant can seep and run down the head.

Only other thing I can think of is the temp sensor since that looks like drivers side.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Since that looks like drivers side.
He states it's the drivers side, if that picture is right side up then its something with the head or bolts/studs. Checking the temp sensor isn't a bad idea though. Some plumbers tape on the thread should fix that small problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
He states it's the drivers side, if that picture is right side up then its something with the head or bolts/studs. Checking the temp sensor isn't a bad idea though. Some plumbers tape on the thread should fix that small problem.
She* and I noticed after I posted
Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the picture is right side up... I have head bolts
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Density
She*
My apologies Roxy.
I think it might be something with a head gasket or bolt, doesn't look like its under the location of where the temp sensor is? You know better then I do where it is though.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

GM seal tablets P/N 3634621
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Hm is it only the head gasket leaking externally as the only possibility? Yeah it's not particularly close to the steam pipe or coolant sensor.

I was hoping it was some smaller plug near the freeze plug. Meh. I'll try the tablets.

Hm, not finding them online at any reputable parts store and google search only found a few results. Dealer only for the most part I'm guessing?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by food nd cars
GM seal tablets P/N 3634621
personally I'd stay away from those things..........all they do is create clay wherever air is present in the system........not good espically for a system like the LT1 that occasionally sees air in the system........be prepared for play dough in ur coolant

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Hm is it only the head gasket leaking externally as the only possibility? Yeah it's not particularly close to the steam pipe or coolant sensor.

I was hoping it was some smaller plug near the freeze plug. Meh. I'll try the tablets.

Hm, not finding them online at any reputable parts store and google search only found a few results. Dealer only for the most part I'm guessing?
looks like it could possibly be a head gasket leaking externally........wipe it down and try again then examine carefully and you'll see wheree its comming from.......
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

GM used em for a longggg time.. I wouldn't hesitate to use em.

If you decide to use em just use half of em.