LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

58mm TB vs Monoblade TB Dyno Comparison Interest?? ASM vs TPIS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 58mm TB vs Monoblade TB Dyno Comparison Interest?? ASM vs TPIS??

My engine will hit the dyno in a few weeks and I have been told a Monoblade may be worthwhile. While I don't doubt my builders i just wanted to share that i may get both and do a back to back dyno test on an engine dyno while my motor is on one.

Anyone have any info/experience on Arizona speed and Marine VS TPIS billet throttle bodies? I believe ASm are on sale. I know TPIS told me just today they have no provision for PCV on the TB they sell but the TPIS has a black finish that goes with my current all black theme.

Engine again if anyone hasnt seen my sneak peak thread is basically a 370 ci max effort high rpm solid roller LT4.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask LE what he thinks of monoblade TBs
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I'd like to see how much of a difference it will make and where. Even more excited to see that beast of your's done and running.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Money1
Ask LE what he thinks of monoblade TBs
WOW what an awesome answer to the guys question, now why don't you go out back and freakin shoot yourself. Idiot
Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your combo may or may not benefit from a monoblade, depending on your VE. A 370ci engine @ 8000 rpm, with 100% VE(not impossible for a finely tuned race engine - some can exceed 100% by quite a bit at certain rpms - but still a pretty damn high number for an NA engine and not likely in a car that sees street duty), will need between 940-1200 CFM. A massive 1300cfm monoblade may help in that case. At a more realistic 90% VE that drops to 850-1080, and a monoblade most likely won't be worth anything. Those numbers were all assuming a single plane intake. I would imagine they would drop a bit with a stock style intake. FYI, the stock TB flows around 710cfm and the 58MM from AS&M flows 1050cfm.

In most cases a monoblade will just make tip-in more aggressive and probably make it harder to tune idle since it has no proper IAC provisions.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/pts/2522461128.html

I found this locally on Craigslist a couple days ago. Brand new 58mm TPIS for $275obo.

I don't know why he wouldn't ship it. Beats paying $400. Of course, I would demand pics.

I know it's not really the place for this, but just thought I would throw it out there for anyone interested.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the input guys. I believe the TPIS has a spot for the iac but I have read numerous old posts about the monoblades inherent issues.

I decided I'm going to give it a shot. At least for everyones interest and my own I'm going to order a TPIS monoblade and after all the dyno break in and tuning I asked my builder to swap the throttle body for a last pull or two. he agreed and it's a go !

My intake before the TB is the A/O forced air that breathes through the plate. I believe it flows especially well at speed. I have a sensor in the back of the manifold for Intake manifold temp and before the ram air my naifold temps were 5-10+ degrees higher even at speed. WIth the A/O my temps are exactly ambient anything above 30-40 mph.

WIll be a few weeks till it hits the dyno but I'll be sure to report if I gain anything.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Your combo may or may not benefit from a monoblade, depending on your VE. A 370ci engine @ 8000 rpm, with 100% VE(not impossible for a finely tuned race engine - some can exceed 100% by quite a bit at certain rpms - but still a pretty damn high number for an NA engine and not likely in a car that sees street duty), will need between 940-1200 CFM. A massive 1300cfm monoblade may help in that case. At a more realistic 90% VE that drops to 850-1080, and a monoblade most likely won't be worth anything. Those numbers were all assuming a single plane intake. I would imagine they would drop a bit with a stock style intake. FYI, the stock TB flows around 710cfm and the 58MM from AS&M flows 1050cfm.

In most cases a monoblade will just make tip-in more aggressive and probably make it harder to tune idle since it has no proper IAC provisions.
You are correct, we did a car that had a 58mm TB then he went to a mono, his setup was basically the normal build, don't remember the exact combo but not radical by any means, maybe like a cam in the 22x-23x range, anyway, made absolutely no difference in HP..
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
You are correct, we did a car that had a 58mm TB then he went to a mono, his setup was basically the normal build, don't remember the exact combo but not radical by any means, maybe like a cam in the 22x-23x range, anyway, made absolutely no difference in HP..
what about torque?? or intake temp??

and were r u looking to get ur mono blade ive only seen the one way arizon speed marine or somthing liek that..is there any other ones? if so put a link up plz.. thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
thanks for the input guys. I believe the TPIS has a spot for the iac but I have read numerous old posts about the monoblades inherent issues.

I decided I'm going to give it a shot. At least for everyones interest and my own I'm going to order a TPIS monoblade and after all the dyno break in and tuning I asked my builder to swap the throttle body for a last pull or two. he agreed and it's a go !

My intake before the TB is the A/O forced air that breathes through the plate. I believe it flows especially well at speed. I have a sensor in the back of the manifold for Intake manifold temp and before the ram air my naifold temps were 5-10+ degrees higher even at speed. WIth the A/O my temps are exactly ambient anything above 30-40 mph.

WIll be a few weeks till it hits the dyno but I'll be sure to report if I gain anything.

btw is ur intake mono ported ? or just ported to 58mm?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94maro
btw is ur intake mono ported ? or just ported to 58mm?
It would be utterly useless to install a monoblade without porting the intake to match...just like installing a 58mm TB without porting a stock intake won't get the full benefit. TB also has no effect on IATs...going from 58mm to monoblade won't do anything at all to the temp of the air coming in.

Your build is already provided with way more air then it will ever use with your 58mm, and a monoblade would be an utter waste and cause more harm then good. You might as well put the money in a blender and drink it if you want to **** away a few hundred bucks...it would probably cause less issues in the long run .
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Tb is already ported for a mono. I feel that it might not gain much but hey who wouldn't want to be surprised their motor makes more hp than expected ! I know I do! I spoke with TPIS and they told me they will look for a take off unit. If it makes power I'll keep it if not theyre willing to take it back. No harm in testing it out I guess! We will see !
Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Wohoo just killed a co-workers 11 5L in my SS . Finishing late at work has it's perks eh!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Every engine we have gone to a mono blade on thus far has gained 5-10hp. Of course, we are not applying them to builds w/ the usual average head, inlet, etc. With a competent tuner they have worked well for us on high ouput LT builds.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

op never follwed up w results??

anyway using a lt1 52mm tb adapted to a gt500 blower on my build. starting out w a stock tb that i cleaned up. got it for free so y not. but leaning towards a monoblade tb.
however the cobra monoblade tbs are more common and lower priced than lt1 types.
dont really apply to ops build. was just looking for insight.

at least search function is back up & running
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

When I bought my 58mm TPIS throttle body I asked about a Monoblade & the basic short story was Unless your over 427 cu inches you dont need one!!! Unless your Boosted... My build is a 396 LTx with ported Dart Pro 1 heads & a few stages of nitrous IF that helps any!!! He flat out wouldnt sell me the Mono & if you find a good Carb/CFM calculator youll see that hes right you dont need it unless your over 427 cubes or boosted!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
.......if you find a good Carb/CFM calculator youll see that hes right you dont need it unless your over 427 cubes or boosted!!!
Not true.......been there, done that.

And if my word means nothing, that's fine. But three posts up, Advance Inductions also espoused the HP increase of a monoblade over a 58mm TB in a high-performance build.

BTW.....haven't seen many 427 LT1's on the street lately.....

KW
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

If you are running a elbow, why in the world would you stick with the lame LT1 throttle bodies when you can have endless supplies of LSX stuff at hand...?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
If you are running a elbow, why in the world would you stick with the lame LT1 throttle bodies when you can have endless supplies of LSX stuff at hand......
.....with even more airflow than the LTx monoblade.......

Good question.

KW
Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I was tryin to help the OP Make his mind up!!! Guess I shoulda paid attention to the OP post Date!!! This thread is from 2yrs ago LoL And KW I know you from LS1LT1 Wish you still had those Dart 180cc heads!!! My stock heads for my 355 stockish build are cracked & nobody around here will weld em up Soo itll get iron heads till I can afford some Dart or AFR 180cc heads later on...

Quick Reply: 58mm TB vs Monoblade TB Dyno Comparison Interest?? ASM vs TPIS??