LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing PCM to go XFI... BCM still work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removing PCM to go XFI... BCM still work?

I'm going to a FAST XFI system, and I'd like to remove the PCM and engine harness completely. Will the BCM still operate normally? I'd still like to have all the interior stuff working (I know the gauges won't work).

What would I need to do to make everything work correctly? VATS?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i did this on my car.........i built a fully standalone harness for the xfi and engine.....the BCM will work still but you will have to jump power and ground to a few places to keep it functional...my power windows, power locks, lights, wipers and all gauges except tach and speedo still work perfectly..also your theft start relayy will have to have ground supplied to the side that goes to the vats module......you can remove the vats module........heres some pics of how i did mine..........

injector harness

this is it all done........all of the wires are hidden and everything is nice and neat and simple looking...

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
I'm going to a FAST XFI system, and I'd like to remove the PCM and engine harness completely. Will the BCM still operate normally? I'd still like to have all the interior stuff working (I know the gauges won't work).

What would I need to do to make everything work correctly? VATS?

Thanks!
Everything in the interior will still work. As far as your gauges, to keep your factory cluster you can wire the oil pressure gauge, voltage gauge, temp gauge, and tach directly to its signal wires. I ran my wires into the XFI harness so it keeps it clean. Example, run the wire from the oil sending unit straight to the appropriate wire going into the cluster same with the temp, ...etc. Your fuel gauge will still work the same no changes there. As far as the speedo, I kept my stock pcm in the car (mounted under dash) just to run the speedo, basically only has a few wires going to the pcm. Hot, ground, and vss feeds. You can go to shbox's website for wiring diagrams that can help you do this. I bypassed VATS. You will love the XFI ! One of the best mods I ever put on my car.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks guys. I figured it could be done. I'll likely have more questions when the time comes to wire everything up.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM
8 Second Club

Ok guys, I'm finally getting started on the wiring nitemare. I HATE WIRING!! lol. So my first question is, on a stock car, there are 2 connectors on the top of the passenger strut tower (C100 and C105). These and all the associated wires can be removed, correct? From what I can tell they are power feeds to the PCM, and control a lot of the things in the fuse/relay box under the hood, like coolant fans, A/C clutch, TCS, Cruise, etc.

I'm removing everything except the lights and horn up front. The fans, WP, and other stuff will either be controlled with the XFI, or through an ARC switch panel.

HELP! lol This stuff gives me a headache!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be joining you soon, lol. What XFI setup did you go with? I was looking at the XFI 2.0 with datalogging. I find it for around $1850
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
I'll be joining you soon, lol. What XFI setup did you go with? I was looking at the XFI 2.0 with datalogging. I find it for around $1850
I bought the original XFI with internal datalogging from Tony (Speed Density). I'm really thinking of sending in the ECU to have it upgraded to 2.0... it's only $50.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM
8 Second Club

Bringing this one back up. I diving I on the wiring finally. This may be a stupid question, but how does the (stock) alternator get wired in with the factory harness gone and the battery moved to the back?

Quick Reply: Removing PCM to go XFI... BCM still work?