LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AC Problems. 150psi low side?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems. 150psi low side?????

hello all,

i noticed today my ac was blowing hot so i took a look and my low side is registering at 150psi with one of those shitty can gauges you find at oreillys. the compressor clutch isnt engaging, which probably means the high pressure switch is being triggered so as to protect the compressor. my question is, what would cause the pressure to jump so high? the ac worked the night before with no issues. i checked the fuse and the relay just to be sure, and sure enough they're both good. the fans also turn on when i turn on the ac, so im pretty sure the switch is still good. its about 95 out so its kind of hot, but not nearly as hot as it has been lately so i doubt its due to ambient temperature. i was thinking a clogged orifice tube, but im pretty sure our cars have an expansion valve. any ideas?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could be a broken expantion valve or a clog in the system.the condencer could be clogged, drier ect. Be careful when the system is high like that something could blow. What's the high side reading during all this
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever get a set of gauges hooked up to see what both sides were reading?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

i was told that since the compressor isnt running, doing a pressure check is useless because the pressure will equalize. right now its reading 150/150. so i guess i need to figure out why its not running. ive checked the fuse, the relay, and the switch seems to work. low pressure switch wont jump so its not that. need to get under the car and see if its getting power or not
Old 09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the relay out and jump power to the compressor. When the car is off you will hear it click, also prob the terminals there to see if the relay is getting power. If so swap it with a diffrent one and see if that works
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I've had that same thing happen once. It ended up being that the compressor clutch had fried and would not engage. My clutch was spinning slowly when this was happening.

Quick Reply: AC Problems. 150psi low side?????