LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

F#ck Optis...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
I have yet to have an opti just die from regular use... what is causing them to go out?

I realise the opti is infact a big weakspot, but, you have to find the root cause, not the common scapegoat.
I agree something is causing your issues. I am running 9.90's on a AC Delco opti. No issues. I did loctite the rotor and seal the cap when I got it but it runs great. Are you getting water or oil in the opti by chance? I spin mine to 7000 a lot. Never gives any indication of problems.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Ive had 3 of these cars in the last 11 years and never had to replace an opti. Ive taken em off doing cam swaps and what not and put them right back on.
The black one in my sig Ive had for 9 years and has 165,000 miles. Its unvented to.
I dont understand what the deal is with everyone else having problems.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Optis seem to be hit or miss regardless who makes it. I replaced the stock opti on my '94 with a vented GM unit-it was perfect in every way. It was the cause of some problems. Ultimately, my car was at it's best with the MSD opti unit.

There are many stories of great luck with GM units. And just as many stories about how bad they are.

It's just the luck of the draw I say.

GM certainly invested heavily in the opti's development-and improvements through it's use cycle. Ultimately, even in the early years of it's use, GM was already developing it's replacement with the LS system. The opti system was just a band aid to get the last bit of life out of the small block until they got in line with modern engine management-and the competition.

I'll say if you LT1 aficionados want the maximum performance and reliability from these engines, step up to the EFX24x system. However, if you have a good running LT1 with the opti, count your blessings and enjoy your ride.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Off topic but Paul Bell do you have an videos of the Monte?? I have a 70 Monte Carlo totally restored myself.

Quick Reply: F#ck Optis...