LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Wont start if hotter than 210°

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Wont start if hotter than 210°

I bought this car with a failing optispark( was missing a litle at low rpm i had the computer read and it came up with codes for the opti and the knock sensor) so the SES light was allways on cousing both fans to run constantly and preventing the engine from getting hotter tha 210,after i changed the opti, knock sensor, spark plugs and wires the ses light went away and the fans started working normaly, but now if i try to start it up again after warming up over 210° it barely manages to turn the engine over once or twice very slowly but if i let it cool down it starts back up fine.
if i start it completely cold it fires up as soon as i turn the key
at 210 it has to turn over two or three time before it starts
and anything over 220 it barely turns over and wont start

if i run it for a while after warming up to 230-240 it eventualy starts knocking bad (spark knock or something )at 3000rpm and wont rev past that, then with time it starts doing it at 2000rpm and 1000 until it dies and wont start back up until it cools down, also it backfires a litlle when i let of the gas when hot

Once when it started knocking at 2500rpm i when from 6th to 3rd gear and forced it to rev past 2500, by doing that the SES light came on and it worked fine until i turned it off. i again got the codes and it was for the opti so i changed that again, also changed ICM, coolant tem sensor, ignition coil, and knock sensor again but no change,

It will start hot if i park it on a hill and let it roll and drop the clutch in 3rd (not sure what this procedure is called in english, hope you understand) but it need some distance it wont fire up as soon as i drop the clutch like it should

what would cause it to not turn over when hot????

Sorry for my bad english i'm from iceland
Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

So when its hot the Starter wont work ? you have to use the clutch to start it ? if thats what iam reading . I would make sure battery and starter are good , With the knocking and wont go higher then 300o rpm can you check you O2 sensors they can cause you to run bad once the engine warms up . Just 2 cents
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Teching In

yes starter barely manages to turn it over when its hot, i can use the cluch but it needs a long distance from the point were i let go of the cluch and the engi starts turning until it starts and if i do that the ses light always comes on
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

How many miles are on it? I'm guessing since it's a used car it has been poorly maintained. I'm thinking your top end is filthy. Injectors are probably clogged, fuel filter probably has never been changed and your valves and piston tops must be filthy. All this causing detonation.

But this is just a guess from your info.

Edit: Are your fans going on once it gets near 220?

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 12-08-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

it has 108.000 miles and a rebuild engine was put in it last year, dont know about fuel filter or injectors but should they be failing only when it gets over 210, i have been thinking its some sensor or computer problem
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nocf6
it has 108.000 miles and a rebuild engine was put in it last year, dont know about fuel filter or injectors but should they be failing only when it gets over 210, i have been thinking its some sensor or computer problem
How long have you had this car and did you test drive it before you bought it?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Teching In

i have had it since april this year, yes i test drove it with the failing opti and the SES light on. I just had an idea. when the code for the opti comes up the car goes into limp mode, right? In limp mode it doesent use some of its sensors, if so when i changed the opti it went out of limp mode, and started trying to use a sensor that had failed, would that make sense?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Teching In

what exacly changes when it goes into limp mode?

Quick Reply: LT1 Wont start if hotter than 210°