LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pics of my HID conversion in a stock 93 to 97 camaro headlight. i want input.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the place i got them said there fog light projector HID housing. The sad thing is. Eather way there ten time better than stock and cost about the same as replacing all the light bulbs for stock ones..

Last edited by tt383lt1; 01-07-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Good work! Keep up the progress, if anyone would be worried about the lens you could always run the GTS covers. I would! Keep me updated. Theres just no way in hell i would spend 900 for the BLS kit. Im all about updating the look of my car but im sure im like most and would rather go faster for the money.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would rather spend 900 for all 4 on the BLS kit all day. With that you get tech support, access to replacement parts, and a company with a great history and customer service instead of some random guy that rigs up headlights and if they go bad ur fucked. Not to mention the BLS lights look 10x better. The pics dont do them much justice. You have to see them in person to really appreciate them...
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my understanding using foglight housings is a bad idea. The beam pattern is not the right shape for a headlight. Foglights are more of a flood pattern and don't go down the road far enough. I'm not a lighting genius, but that is what I have heard from the retrofit guys I know.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

with the light pattern i had the other day on my garage door. it looks like it has a good cut off with these housing. its not as bright as bls. but bls in my under standing is the run 4 lows and 4 highs. which i believe is elligal to run 4 low beams at the same time. but dont take my word on that though. but these cost me 190 befor i had to modify for the stock housing for all 4 highs and lows. and im running 12000k bulbs and not 6000k that has alot todo with it to.

so imo i spend 190 instead of 900. and i can do more upgrades to the car instead of just on the light housing.

and whats the diffrence between road debree on the hid hosuing which run 60 for the pair and they bolt right in or replace bls lens which will have the same debree. and i bet they run more than 60 for the pair.

again i just want something more bright than stock that are made for HID and not pay 1/3 of the oem blue book of the car for the headlights.

Last edited by tt383lt1; 01-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

why do you guys keep bashing BLS in this thread? if this thread is about your product, then keep it about your product. you don't like the price of the BLS kit, i get it, you said it once, that's as many times as you have to say it. bashing another company is not a way to get customers. i only like to order professional products made by professional people and this thread isn't starting out that well with regards to that.

if you want an opinion from me as a potential customer, i personally don't see why people would even spend $200 on this kit yet. the assembled housing, as it is right now, looks like a camera from the 1980s. forget the way the bls kit compares to this, a fresh stock sealed beam light with nicely painted gm satin black housings looks 10x better than this. your kit would have better light output than stock, i admit that, but i think this thing is going backwards as far as daytime appearance compared to stock. people get what they pay for though. yes, there is a multiple hundred dollar difference between this potential kit and the BLS kit, but there is also that same multiple hundred dollar difference in the quality, execution and proven support/warranty. that's my opinion. the best "cheap" solution, is just to retro-fit an hid kit into the stock housings (~$50). you don't get the beam pattern, but you get the light output in a surprisingly good looking stock housing if people would repaint/restore them to new condition.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
From my understanding using foglight housings is a bad idea. The beam pattern is not the right shape for a headlight. Foglights are more of a flood pattern and don't go down the road far enough. I'm not a lighting genius, but that is what I have heard from the retrofit guys I know.
You are correct but our stock lights are garbage and a flashlight would be better suited taped to our hood.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Both the bls and projectors in this thread are not suitable for headlight use. Just because a projector has a cutoff does not mean it is automatically good. I wouldn't be surprised that the "chrome" on the bowls get burnt off within the year.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed13b
Both the bls and projectors in this thread are not suitable for headlight use. Just because a projector has a cutoff does not mean it is automatically good. I wouldn't be surprised that the "chrome" on the bowls get burnt off within the year.
Logic behind saying the BLS ones are not suitable? Just curious.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

I have seen these in person and they are amazing headlights. Cutoff is great and the light output is astonishing. I plan on getting them come spring when the car is back on the road. I also know 2 cars with bls's firebird kit that have had them installed for a few years now with no problems at all.

Reason behind your logic?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Logic behind saying the BLS ones are not suitable? Just curious.
Dim output (blazer fogs on the c5 with a hid bulb have the same output)
foreground lighting is too bright
Poor distance lighting
Beam is streaky
width is narrow

Put it next to any OEM or even the mini d2s and you will see the difference.

Plus retrofitting headlights is my job I don't use the matchbox projector because I find them unsafe.

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
I have seen these in person and they are amazing headlights. Cutoff is great and the light output is astonishing. I plan on getting them come spring when the car is back on the road. I also know 2 cars with bls's firebird kit that have had them installed for a few years now with no problems at all.

Reason behind your logic?
Put one Tl projector next to four of the matchbox projectors and tell us how they compare. The Hella projectors that BLS use are pretty good but I'm specifically talking about the matchbox projector.

Last edited by turboed13b; 01-08-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Staging Lane

Dim output (blazer fogs on the c5 with a hid bulb have the same output)
foreground lighting is too bright
Poor distance lighting
Beam is streaky
width is narrow

Put it next to any OEM or even the mini d2s and you will see the difference.

Plus retrofitting headlights is my job I don't use the matchbox projector because I find them unsafe.

Put one Tl projector next to four of the matchbox projectors and tell us how they compare. The Hella projectors that BLS use are pretty good but I'm specifically talking about the matchbox projector.
you're bringing up a point that BLS already had to deal with a looong time ago. BLS isn't using the matchbox because it's the best projector in the world, BLS is using the matchbox because it's the best projector that would "bolt-in" to 93-97 camaros without having to drastically alter the body (cutting) and that would stay behind the hood line (another must have). he tried to fit the mini's (if i remember right) and could fit them in the high beam position, but could not fit them in the low beam position without them sticking out beyond the hood line. a projector on only one side does not look right on these cars and is something i wouldn't buy. that's the main problem, that's the whole reason why it's been 15-20 yrs and we've had nothing. if he could have used bigger projectors, he would have. BLS was able to get the matchboxs in with only the smallest of gaps possible behind the projectors in order to get some tools behind there to mount them. thus, leaving an acceptable and good looking gap between the hood line and the projector housing. the small matchbox size also allowed the construction of a housing that is of a similar size to our stockers.

basically it was the matchbox or nothing, so it's really kind of pointless comparing it to other projectors that can't fit into the small area GM gave us on 93-97 camaros. if there's another projector the same size as the matchbox that is better, then we start comparing (unless you know of a way to properly bolt-in a bigger projector into both our low and high beam positions with housings)...nothing is more unsafe than what GM gave us stock.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Teching In

TT383LT1, I spent a lot of time answering your questions and offering advice in your similar thread over at CZ28. I posted pics of the style projectors you are using after backtracking your beamshot pics to find the source website (basically knock-off Blazer fogs), and you confirmed I had found the right kind of projectors. We discussed things like the need to adjust bulb position for proper focus when swapping HIDs into incan projectors, and why. I shared my experience with putting HIDs into Blazer fog lights. But you deleted that thread shortly after my posts.

I won't take the time to recreate all of my comments here, but your final set of beamshots were very similar to my own Blazer foglight HID retrofit pattern, and the BLS beamshots look worlds better than that. I posted both for comparison. So, I don't think you should be slamming their product here.

I think it's funny that BLS found that your beamshot was actually from another site, similar to what I found. Will you be deleting this thread now, too?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Since when Is saying "I won't pay 900 Dollars on Headlights" bashing.....

Sounds like he just won't spend 900 dollars on headlights to me...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

No i wont be deleting this. I just thinks its funny how so many people are getting mad over a HID kit. Its just headlights. calm down. Im just trying to make a cheap HID kit that not out of this world for pricing. and who else is trying to make a resonable price HID kit for the h3451 bulbs.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

I don't understand why everyone is flipping their **** over BLS vs this guy. HE ISN'T TRYING TO SELL A PRODUCT HERE, NOR TAKE BUSINESS FROM BLS. He posted up his own headlights, and was asking for feedback on how they look from everyone. He's not pushing a product or trying to sell you his lights. All he is saying is he would rather make his own than pay 900 bucks, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't get where all this hate is coming from, and I don't get why people are posting " I would rather buy the BLS lights for 900$ blah blah blah" OK, then go buy them! This guy isn't selling anything, he is asking for feedback on his DIY project.

This thread has gotten way off track and turned into a pissing match.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^ agreed
Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
I don't understand why everyone is flipping their **** over BLS vs this guy. HE ISN'T TRYING TO SELL A PRODUCT HERE, NOR TAKE BUSINESS FROM BLS. He posted up his own headlights, and was asking for feedback on how they look from everyone. He's not pushing a product or trying to sell you his lights. All he is saying is he would rather make his own than pay 900 bucks, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't get where all this hate is coming from, and I don't get why people are posting " I would rather buy the BLS lights for 900$ blah blah blah" OK, then go buy them! This guy isn't selling anything, he is asking for feedback on his DIY project.

This thread has gotten way off track and turned into a pissing match.
you missed his thread in the appearance section where he was fishing for interest in buying his potential product. i believe it was deleted, because i don't see it anymore, i wonder why...this thread would be cool if instead of referencing the $900 figure multiple times (which is an indirect reference to BLS, there's only one guy who has a $900 dollar kit for 93-97 camaros out right now), he would just say, i'm trying to make myself a kit for under $200 end of story. the $900 number should be irrelevant in this thread, it should be all about making a kit under his desired target.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

They are all local to each other and I'm sure are friends with the guys who run BLS
Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

im not trying bash bls. they do have a good product hands down. they have to pay for the labor , parts ect i understand the price is reasonable for what they have into it. its not cheap to make new products.

Quick Reply: pics of my HID conversion in a stock 93 to 97 camaro headlight. i want input.