LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

89 Camaro RS 173i v6 swap with a LT1 please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 Camaro RS 173i v6 swap with a LT1 please help

So I am new to these forums coming from streetracing.org's forums. Since their website was down or something i thought I would come here to ask for help. A little background information before I start going crazy with questions. My name is Charlie, I am from the Tampa area of Florida. I am 16 years old and work two part time jobs on top of high school, and i spend every cent I make into a new beautiful blue 1989 Camaro RS. I fell in love at first sight, I loved how it was RWD, I think that made me look over the flaws and I just went for it and bought it for 900$ over craigslist. Now about the car, its a v6 2.8 173i with 164,xxx miles on it and this thing still runs amazingly for 164k. Sometimes it fails to shift into reverse and when it finally does, it clinks hard three or four times while starting to reverse. The paint is bubbled in some places, chipped, and under the hood caught fire so the paint on the hood is rough and looks like someone took sandpaper to it. The dashboard is really cracked and the RPM gauge does not work. Along with a few smaller minor cosmetic issues, I am proud of it to be my first car. Also, being the irresponsible teenage boy that I am, I want to go fast, more than anything. I thought about swapping a 350 v8 in, but over two thousand dollars doesnt work for me. BUT, this is where I come to you guys. I have heard and seen LT1's being swapped in. I really am going to pursue putting a LT1 in it, so I need your help. I have little to moderate knowledge of cars, but im tryin to learn more every day. My Dad and Uncle are both used car salesman so I think that will help as well. I need to know and learn a few things...

- Where is my best bet obtaining a nice LT1 and accesories for a good price?
- What is considered to be a good price for all the materials I will need?
- What do you guys suggest I do before, during, and after the swap?
- How do you suggest I perform the swap?
- Exactly how do I need to mod my chassy to fit the LT1?
- How do I connect all the Camaro parts and peices to the LT1?
- What do I need to rid, or buy to complete this swap.
- How will I know I did things correctly or not?

These are just a few questions I can think of on the top of my head. Any tips, suggestions, or stories please share and let me hear it. Any missing information about my car currently I would be glad to share juse please ask. Feel free to throw your two cents in and please guide me in how to do this. Also, please make it understandable for a kid that doesnt know much about peices, names of parts, or areas where I should be doing things, because I see a few guides but they are all very confusing to me and I am just looking for someone to guide me through it and dumb it down a little, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks forum!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on your purchase. I had an 89 Iroc-Z as my first car and to this day my biggest regret is getting rid of her. What are your goals as far as your swap is concerned? Looking for loads of power, summer toy, daily driver..etc? This board is 98% primarily LS1 based. I own an LT1 and LS1 powered F-body. While the LT1 will always have a special place in my garage, it simply doesn't hold a candle to the capabilities of my LS1 powered WS6. Have you considered a 5.3/5.7/6.0L LS swap? People around here have considerable knowledge about these motors and I think you'd be better suited swapping to the LS platform.

The good thing about swapping an LT1 in is you should be able to score the parts pretty damn cheap. The bad part is, it's simply dated technology imo. You're going to need to swap/rebuild the entire drivetrain. I'm not sure if a 700R4 trans will work with either an LT1 or LS1 motor, that'll be one of the many hurdles you'll have to deal with.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

itll be really hard to do the swap for 2 grand. unless you just put a stock lt1 in. im sure if you search someone has a write up on it. Whats your budget?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

this is not for your car it is for a 4th gen but should supply you with some general info on parts youll need. http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience, young grasshopper...First step is to do LOTS of research and carefully plan your build. An engine swap is not for a novice to attempt....make friends with some mechanics who can help or find a reputable shop. You can find plenty of complete LT1's with accessories and probably a trans too on craigslist if you look around...$600-$800 would be a average prices. Not sure of all the details of putting one in a 3rd gen however, it's been done before. Honestly you would have more support going with a LS truck motor swap as mentioned...very popular choice and cheap to make big power. Check out your local junkyards. You can get a 4.8 or 5.3 truck motor for not much more than a LT1 (less than $1000), stick a cam in it and you have 350+ RWHP and no optispark to deal with Keep in mind, any engine swap will not be cheap....all the little things can nickel and dime you to death...fuel system upgrades, wiring harnesses, new exhaust system, transmission upgrades, ect. ect. before you know it your over $5K deep You might be better off to keep looking for a 4th gen with a LT1 and just sell/trade you current car unless you are set on having a fast 3rd gen. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here you go:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/
It's a very common swap, and great information on that site for you.
First thing: Fix that transmission! No point in putting more power in front of it at this point.
If I were you, I'd drop in a bone stock LT1 or LS (4.8/5.3/...) and leave it like that until you have the rest of the car where you want it to be. Stock power in ANY of those is going to be a night and day difference from what you have now, and can easily be a 12 sec ride.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Congrats on your purchase. I had an 89 Iroc-Z as my first car and to this day my biggest regret is getting rid of her. What are your goals as far as your swap is concerned? Looking for loads of power, summer toy, daily driver..etc? This board is 98% primarily LS1 based. I own an LT1 and LS1 powered F-body. While the LT1 will always have a special place in my garage, it simply doesn't hold a candle to the capabilities of my LS1 powered WS6. Have you considered a 5.3/5.7/6.0L LS swap? People around here have considerable knowledge about these motors and I think you'd be better suited swapping to the LS platform.

The good thing about swapping an LT1 in is you should be able to score the parts pretty damn cheap. The bad part is, it's simply dated technology imo. You're going to need to swap/rebuild the entire drivetrain. I'm not sure if a 700R4 trans will work with either an LT1 or LS1 motor, that'll be one of the many hurdles you'll have to deal with.
His budget will be gone if you tell him to go with a GEN III engine.

Stick with the LT1 idea, find a stock engine and drop a 700R4 behind it. They use a TV cable so tunning isn't required.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by esoteric18
itll be really hard to do the swap for 2 grand. unless you just put a stock lt1 in. im sure if you search someone has a write up on it. Whats your budget?
I do plan on dropping about a grand +/- 100 on the stock LT1 itself, than after I get the engine in it, go from there, getting parts paycheck by paycheck haha. I was guessing it'll take me about two months to save up a grand for the engine, than i get 300 every two weeks after that so it'll pretty much go by that, my goal is to have it finished by August.

Originally Posted by esoteric18
this is not for your car it is for a 4th gen but should supply you with some general info on parts youll need. http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm
Bookmarked it, looks like it will come in handy later on durning the physical swap.

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Patience, young grasshopper...First step is to do LOTS of research and carefully plan your build. An engine swap is not for a novice to attempt....make friends with some mechanics who can help or find a reputable shop. You can find plenty of complete LT1's with accessories and probably a trans too on craigslist if you look around...$600-$800 would be a average prices. Not sure of all the details of putting one in a 3rd gen however, it's been done before. Honestly you would have more support going with a LS truck motor swap as mentioned...very popular choice and cheap to make big power. Check out your local junkyards. You can get a 4.8 or 5.3 truck motor for not much more than a LT1 (less than $1000), stick a cam in it and you have 350+ RWHP and no optispark to deal with Keep in mind, any engine swap will not be cheap....all the little things can nickel and dime you to death...fuel system upgrades, wiring harnesses, new exhaust system, transmission upgrades, ect. ect. before you know it your over $5K deep You might be better off to keep looking for a 4th gen with a LT1 and just sell/trade you current car unless you are set on having a fast 3rd gen. Good luck!
I do have hook ups with a in town shop owner as well as family used to be into the buisness of building cars. I do like the idea of an LS 5.8, seems eaiser to maintain and handle and more power out of it. Ill check it out.

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Here you go:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/
It's a very common swap, and great information on that site for you.
First thing: Fix that transmission! No point in putting more power in front of it at this point.
If I were you, I'd drop in a bone stock LT1 or LS (4.8/5.3/...) and leave it like that until you have the rest of the car where you want it to be. Stock power in ANY of those is going to be a night and day difference from what you have now, and can easily be a 12 sec ride.
I planned on getting the LT1 engine/tranny combo, knock two birds out with one stone. I dont plan on driving this vehicle until I get a swap in it.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
His budget will be gone if you tell him to go with a GEN III engine.

Stick with the LT1 idea, find a stock engine and drop a 700R4 behind it. They use a TV cable so tunning isn't required.
I think my Camaro has a 700R4 stock? As ive read...
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Also to be the bum that I am, this is basicly what I want to do.

(By the end of February) - Drop the current engine and tranny, and my CAT o.O
(By the end of February) - Strip the car down into its body and chassi.
(By the end of March) - Have all parts sanded, de-rusted if needed, and painted.
(By the end of April) - Have the funds to afford LT1 motor, computer, cables, and tranny.
(By the end of May) - Have the engine completely installed with the tranny
(By the end of May or June) - Purchase a new exhaust, cold air intake, and headers.
(By the end of July or August) - Raise enough money for a twin turbo for the LT1.
(By the end of August) - Have the Interiors/cosmetics totally fixed up (previous owner trashed it, he even sawed through the back bed above the fuel pump to get to the lines so I have a huge gaping tear with duct tape closing it above my fuel pump) and install digital dashboard.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Read as much as you can on www.thirdgen.org . This swap is fairly straight forward and won't be too difficult if you are mechanically inclined, are patient, and research as much as you can. It would be tough to get it done under 2k but is possible if you can find some great deals. Your best bet is to find a wrecked LT1 f-body and buy the whole car. That way you will have most of the parts needed to get the swap done. Another good thing about buying the whole car is that some other parts will swap over to your car. The rear diff(disc brakes), interior, seats and such bolt in. What you don't use, you can part out and make some of your cash back to fund the rest of the project. While the LS engines are great, you budget will have to grow to get that done. The LT1 is not any harder than just a standard EFI 350 swap
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
Read as much as you can on www.thirdgen.org . This swap is fairly straight forward and won't be too difficult if you are mechanically inclined, are patient, and research as much as you can. It would be tough to get it done under 2k but is possible if you can find some great deals. Your best bet is to find a wrecked LT1 f-body and buy the whole car. That way you will have most of the parts needed to get the swap done. Another good thing about buying the whole car is that some other parts will swap over to your car. The rear diff(disc brakes), interior, seats and such bolt in. What you don't use, you can part out and make some of your cash back to fund the rest of the project. While the LS engines are great, you budget will have to grow to get that done. The LT1 is not any harder than just a standard EFI 350 swap
Wait just to make clear, when i swap the v6 out and the LT1 in, what other parts do I have to swap?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesHoward
Also to be the bum that I am, this is basicly what I want to do.

(By the end of February) - Drop the current engine and tranny, and my CAT o.O
(By the end of February) - Strip the car down into its body and chassi.
(By the end of March) - Have all parts sanded, de-rusted if needed, and painted.
(By the end of April) - Have the funds to afford LT1 motor, computer, cables, and tranny.
(By the end of May) - Have the engine completely installed with the tranny
(By the end of May or June) - Purchase a new exhaust, cold air intake, and headers.
(By the end of July or August) - Raise enough money for a twin turbo for the LT1.
(By the end of August) - Have the Interiors/cosmetics totally fixed up (previous owner trashed it, he even sawed through the back bed above the fuel pump to get to the lines so I have a huge gaping tear with duct tape closing it above my fuel pump) and install digital dashboard.
So by April you want to have a shell ready for the new engine and transmission correct? Seems do able if you put a lot of effort into it.

The twin turbo you will have to get custom done meaning you're gonna have to weld everything up. Save the time and money and skip that, you're still in high school, you have PLENTY of time down the road to build a legit car that can take boost.

Seeing as you're in Tampa post in the Florida Classifieds located at the bottom of the forum, for a wanted to buy ad. Gonna need a complete LT1 drop out (Engine, trans, PCM) Reagular SBC headers for a 3rd gen will work on the LT1 engine.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Very ambitious plans! But realistic if you can stick with it, ......all except for the twin turbo....forget that for a LONG time; that is NOT realistic.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CharlesHoward
Wait just to make clear, when i swap the v6 out and the LT1 in, what other parts do I have to swap?
If I was swapping it in on a tight budget I would buy a whole, running, shifting F-body parts car. I am not sure what motor mounts the V6 uses and you may have to get a 3rd-gen V8 k-member for the swap. Install LT1 engine, transmission, front accessories, radiator/hoses, fans, wiring harness and PCM. You should use 3rd-gen V8 motor mounts/clam shells, your trans crossmember, driveshaft and torque arm should work fine. The power steering pressure hose will have to be modified/made to reach your gearbox. For the exhaust you could run the stock manifolds and have an exhaust shop make a Y-pipe or get some headers for the 3rd-gen while you are there. Fuel lines would have to be adapted to the LT1 rails, and I would install a better fuel pump in your tank or swap in the 4th-gen tank. As for A/C I would just ditch it and run an A/C delete pulley as it is a little difficult, but not impossible. You can save money by learning how to rework the harness to work in your car, but this does take some time and knowledge in wiring diagrams. Aftermarket harness are great but too expensive. A cheap mail order tune would work fine to get the car up and running well. I am sure I am forgetting some details, but that is a brief run down.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
If I was swapping it in on a tight budget I would buy a whole, running, shifting F-body parts car. I am not sure what motor mounts the V6 uses and you may have to get a 3rd-gen V8 k-member for the swap. Install LT1 engine, transmission, front accessories, radiator/hoses, fans, wiring harness and PCM. You should use 3rd-gen V8 motor mounts/clam shells, your trans crossmember, driveshaft and torque arm should work fine. The power steering pressure hose will have to be modified/made to reach your gearbox. For the exhaust you could run the stock manifolds and have an exhaust shop make a Y-pipe or get some headers for the 3rd-gen while you are there. Fuel lines would have to be adapted to the LT1 rails, and I would install a better fuel pump in your tank or swap in the 4th-gen tank. As for A/C I would just ditch it and run an A/C delete pulley as it is a little difficult, but not impossible. You can save money by learning how to rework the harness to work in your car, but this does take some time and knowledge in wiring diagrams. Aftermarket harness are great but too expensive. A cheap mail order tune would work fine to get the car up and running well. I am sure I am forgetting some details, but that is a brief run down.
Ok well lets say I have the F body parts car. How much is the k member, can i get a link? Also, where should i get the radiators, hoses, an fans for the LT1? I know the wiring harness comes with it. Not sure what you mean by front accesories? And i should just reuse my trans cross and driveshaft and torque arm. I can just buy a longer hose for the pwer steering? And i plan on ordering a aftermarket exhaust so i should just get one with a Y pipe. There is an aftermarket fuel pump installed from previous owner right before i bought it, not sure type/brand. How would i install the fuel lines to the rail? And im really lost on the pulley ordeal. Also can you link me a good mail order tune as i dont know what it is haha, thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Start reading here and these links should explain alot,

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...questions.html
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ive built many swaps, imo. You should stick to a sbc. A 350, thr easiest option is a donor tpi car. All the parts,motor,harness basically drop in. this would prolly be the most economical option. And perhaps easiest.

I do not see, how an lt1 is cheaper in any way shape or form than an LS.any lt1 u find in a salvage yard will have severely high miles and or issues. Performance wise, the 5.3 is more in line with a lt1.
The 5.3 is better all around, better ignition,cooling system. Better heads/intakes options, list goes on, aftermarket support,etc.
Any trans that fits a sbc/lt1 will fit a ls motor.
I recently just bought an 04 5.3 with trans/wiring/accesories for 1200$ from running truck.
Most other ls prices are same range. Swap parts are reasonably priced and readily available for 3rd gens.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Launching!

While I would not argue that the LS engines have more potential than the LT1, the LT1 is a great swap for someone not wanting to spend what it takes to get into an LS swap. I will argue that almost every LS swap costs more than a comparable LT swap. I was able to buy a wrecked Z28 with under 100k for less than you paid for the 5.3 and I was still able to part the rest of the car out and recoup $600. I still kept the drivetrain, seats, fuel tank, and rear diff. A TPI 350 swap would also be a good swap but I doubt that it would be much cheaper than the LT1 and you would end up with less performance in the end. Don't get me wrong, I think LS swaps are great and have done a few myself, but they are not the answer for everyone.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The Ls motors, have an upper hand imo. They are more common, tremendous aftermarket support for swaps.
I use motor mounts that i use are 35$. For a 3rd gen. Ls1 car fbody accesories are not necessary for a 3rd gen swap. Thats a myth. Ive used and make parts for swaps. I got tired of having to use stock issue parts and configurations, so i designed and machined my own. Even reuse a tpi alternator on a ls, i made a bracket for this.
Im very into 3rd gens. I own 2. My 1st swap was into an 82. My handbuilt 6.0 ran very well,and it was where i designed my first parts.
Idk, if the op is dead set on a lt1. Nothing is gonna change his mind i guess. LT1 in my exp. And imo is not cheeper from a performance standpoint. Im not new or a stranger to lt1s.
I once upon a time owned a very strong lt1 z28.
But imo, with the prices and availabilty of ls motors and the aftermarket support. It just makes sense.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by NemeSS
The Ls motors, have an upper hand imo. They are more common, tremendous aftermarket support for swaps.
I use motor mounts that i use are 35$. For a 3rd gen. Ls1 car fbody accesories are not necessary for a 3rd gen swap. Thats a myth. Ive used and make parts for swaps. I got tired of having to use stock issue parts and configurations, so i designed and machined my own. Even reuse a tpi alternator on a ls, i made a bracket for this.
Im very into 3rd gens. I own 2. My 1st swap was into an 82. My handbuilt 6.0 ran very well,and it was where i designed my first parts.
Idk, if the op is dead set on a lt1. Nothing is gonna change his mind i guess. LT1 in my exp. And imo is not cheeper from a performance standpoint. Im not new or a stranger to lt1s.
I once upon a time owned a very strong lt1 z28.
But imo, with the prices and availabilty of ls motors and the aftermarket support. It just makes sense.
Im not exactly dead set on an LT1, I only had my plans invested into an LT because after surfing some sites such as Ebay and Craigslist, I found that the LTs were cheaper and had less wear and tear than the LSs. I might be wrong and just saw a few wacked out prices. To be honest with you guys, its whatever better deal comes first. If an LT cheap comes my way im going to take it, and vice versa on the LS. I am dead set on getting either of the two though, im going to try to stay away from the big blocks and long blocks only because I really like the idea of modding my car to put this engine in and from what ive heard/read/saw the LTs and LSs just looks more fun to drive, are cheaper (depending where your looking), and pack more HP than a big block or long block. Yes the mods to get the LT or LS running in my car will cost a bit instead of just putting a big block in but thats the fun of it. As far as finding which one im going to get though will just come in a matter of time. Should I try to go down to a "you pull it" place and find one there? Or am I better off just going and buying one?

Quick Reply: 89 Camaro RS 173i v6 swap with a LT1 please help