LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best suspensions setup for drag strip and road course use.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best suspensions setup for drag strip and road course use.

Whats a good setup to run decent times at the strip, yet also have some handling?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

there isnt one.

MAYBE some strano springs with some adjustable shocks. But your going to sacrafice one thing or another, and its going to cost you some coin for a good front suspension. Some adjustable shocks could possibly help, but your never going to get the BEST of both worlds. You will also have to "tune" each time you switch.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went down this alley. The two systems completely contradict the efficiency of the other. You're going to have to pick one or the other, unfortunately.

Your best bet is probably going to be a bone stock suspension.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Just get some adjustable shocks.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no suspension setup that will do both well. They are two opposite sides of the spectrum.

If you want to do both I would look at a typical Strano setup, shocks, springs and maybe some swaybars. Being able to remove the front swaybar and maybe swap out the rear springs/rear tires and wheels would make a decent difference but would require work everytime you go from road course to strip.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
there isnt one.
Originally Posted by v7guy
There is no suspension setup that will do both well. .
Sure there is. Jordon Musser ran his 10 second f-body on road coarses/auto-x'd. I have auto-x'd my car and cut 1.55 60' times in a lowered, full weight f-body. What's needed are good springs, one way (rebound) adjustable shocks up front, good quality/stiff shocks in back, LCA's, relo brackets if car is lowered and a chassis mount torque arm as well as a good tire on a 15" wheel for drag racing. Also, track prep means everything. Even if you have all that and the track prep is crap it will not yield good ET's.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Build your suspenion around the driving you will be doing most.............. Strano's matched with some Konis is not a bad set up. Or Re-valved Bilsteins w/ a Pro Kit
Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Sure there is. Jordon Musser ran his 10 second f-body on road coarses/auto-x'd.
How competitive was it though? Was the only reason his 10 second car made it through was due to a power advantage and not a handleing advantage. Basically, was a 10 second car putting down the same auto-x times that a 160hp miata was with a good suspension. It may do it, and seem to do it quickly, but in the big spectrum im sure its still lacking quite a bit, its power is whats keeping up, not its turn speed. And turn speed is what handleing is all about.

And also, 1.55 60 is good sure, but an all out track car could do better. Just like an all out auto cross car could do better.

There is a happy median im sure, 1.55 isnt bad, and then you can autocross. What me and ramair are saying is that it will never do either one 100% as good as it could. If you beleive a car can, I think your crazy.

But I guess if your not trying to do the best you can, it doesnt matter.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I am not sure what class he raced in. I just know at that time that it was his DD and he was doing both. I'll ask next time I get a chance. My setup is not all that much different than his. I believe he was lowered more than mine. I'll see if I can ask next time I talk to him. I can't compare my times because I was in a beginner course and was not the fastest. Had nothing to do with the car and how it handled. The suspension is basically stock (SLP Level II wise) except for the Koni one-ways up front, which are just as stiff as the Bilsteins which were there previously. There's no bounce to the suspension. It jounces you proper like.
I don't believe the OP is stating he wants all out handling in both instances. I believe it is more along the lines "decent times and handling" which I think means the best of both worlds. I believe my car runs well in both areas for the suspension it has.
Here's a pic of the 1.55 60'

As said, track prep is king. I am lucky to go to a track that cares about putting enough VHT on the track that it will take the tied shoe off your foot.

Last edited by SS RRR; 02-11-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A handling type setup can be made to hook, a drag setup can't be made to handle. shocks are going to be very important. I'd use airbags to supplement the sway bar at the drag strip. I'd set the car up for the autox and record your starting suspension setup. Then for the strip... disconnect the front swaybar, maybe drop the LCAs a hole or two, pump up the airbag, front shocks full loose rebound, medium-stiff compression. Rear shocks loose-medium rebound and stiff compression. Gonna need two sets of wheels, I'd try a 17" skinny up front for brake clearance, rears you want a 15" rim, MT 28x9 is a great tire with no clearance issues (only a 27" tire). Springs don't really matter, I run BMRs and my car is really low.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
As said, track prep is king. I am lucky to go to a track that cares about putting enough VHT on the track that it will take the tied shoe off your foot.
Must be nice, seems the west coast tracks haven't figured out the notion of track prep
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stangslayerLT1
Whats a good setup to run decent times at the strip, yet also have some handling?
Just concentrate on first getting all the rear end aftermarket suspension parts for traction: (control arms, panhard bar, control arm relocation brackets, torque arm, sub-frame connectors, poly bushings)....believe it or not all this stuff improves the handling/feel of the rear end dramatically and helps lauches a LOT. The rest of the suspension parts that improve handling it is true, they would detract from the performance at a dragstrip (lowering springs, non-drag specific shocks, solid front/rear swaybars, shock tower brace) BUT, they will greatly improve the handling and enjoyment you get driving the car the other 99% of the time you are not on a dragstrip.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

one or the other. a true drag setup on the street can be unpleasant and at to the most extreme, dangerous. id rather have a tight suspention thats adjustable then running a loose drag setup that if your not carful could have you in a ditch if you try to get on it in a corner. ive setup my car to run more for road racing, and it is alot more aplicable on the streets. now if all you do is drive your car to the track and race it and then go home, then by all means set the suspention and chassis for it. it will benefit you more that way. but if you drive your car on the street 80% of the time then its not worth it to set it up that way.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hooray for resurrecting old threads!!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

lol most of these threads are latley, unless its the same cool topic of the month, most of these threads stale out after awhile
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zombie Jesus day is coming up. So prepare for Zombie threads.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

lol that or a rodent that craps out chocolate eggs that you have to go out and find in the yard lol
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont understand death/resurrection, now its bunny/eggs?

First rabbits dont lay eggs?
Second how in the hell did that come about?

Well as Robin Williams says you can't be smearing raspberry jam in the lawn going "Hey kids lets go find Jesus!" or can't be having kids biting the heads off Chocolate Jesus.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^lol!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Best suspensions setup for drag strip and road course use.