LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Painting the intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting the intake

Hey guys. I have my intake pulled and Im getting ready to clean it up and paint it, but I have a few quick questions.

1. What is everyone using to clean the carbon gunk out of the inside? At 141k miles, its looking pretty bad in there.

2. How are you guys plugging all of the holes for the bolts, vaccum lines, etc?

3. I am going to be polishing the fins on top of the intake. Do I spray the whole thing, wire wheel the fins, and polish?

Thanks in advance everyone
Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
Hey guys. I have my intake pulled and Im getting ready to clean it up and paint it, but I have a few quick questions.

1. What is everyone using to clean the carbon gunk out of the inside? At 141k miles, its looking pretty bad in there.

2. How are you guys plugging all of the holes for the bolts, vaccum lines, etc?

3. I am going to be polishing the fins on top of the intake. Do I spray the whole thing, wire wheel the fins, and polish?

Thanks in advance everyone
Some parts cleaner and some brushes, pretty basic. Do NOT use anything abrasive such as scotch-brite pads, sandpaper, etc., because you will NEVER get all of the grit out of all of the passages. It's almost better to just leave the inside alone - the carbon really doesn't affect performance.

I plugged all the holes with tape and a bunch of miscellaneous rubber plugs I had laying around. Get creative.

To polish the fins, paint the entire intake first, fins and all. Then remove the paint on top using a sanding block or razor blade. This will keep the space between the fins painted. Sand the fins down progressively using finer grit paper. Polish with a cloth buffing wheel and some white rouge or other polishing compound.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Where can I get some of these rubber plugs that you used?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine hot tanked beforehand.

No need to do all the polishing IMO... It's just going to dull out in the years to come.

Sand your "fins" with 320,600 then 800. Give them a quick tape, it doesnt have to be perfect. Apply your basecoat.

Once it appears to be covered. When the basecoat is dry to the touch pull your tape from the fins. Sand down the fins again with 600 and 800 (this will get any overspray around the edges) blow it off and you are ready to clear it.

I used a flattener in my clear so it looks pretty close to the pic that has base on it.

This is just IMO, clearing the fins you shouldn't have to ever polish them again.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sand blasted mine inside and out . Then I painted it. The inside and outside looked brand new before the paint went on
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand blasted mine soaked in carb cleaner and wiped down with alcohol pads and then sprayed...check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texTi...e_gdata_player

Quick Reply: Painting the intake