LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.

15 years ago I had to sell the car....2 years ago I bought it back with a blown motor.....worked on it off and on for better part of 18 months.....last night I got to drive it. Still a work in process but what a great feeling.

So far.... installed a re-manufactured stock cubed engine, added Lloyd Elliot budget heads, 1.6 rr, 918 springs, and a small cam (crane 227). Also installed a GM re-manned tranny with a (don't laugh) TCI 3200 stall. Eliminated the egr, Air, smog, a/c and gutted the cat. I purchase but yet to install a Vortech with a 2.70 pulley (Dumb me, also purchase a used rear mount turbo and new MAF NX nitrous kit as I was not real sure of my direction). They will be for sale in the classified section shortly. I am now in the process of getting the suspension that the car will need.

Brand new leather interior and carpets are sitting in boxes on the shelf, Y2K wheels and new tires tires are sitting in the rack on the wall, and the painter has his deposit.

Lots of unanswered questions, needed suggestions and gremlins to hunt down, so I will need some help if you could lend your thoughts. I am a little more than 1/2 way through my 15K budget so I have some free cash to finsh her up.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like a very cool build. Pics?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
Sounds like a very cool build. Pics?
For some reason I can not upload pix from the iPad, so when I get back to work I will upload photos. Today I am working on the seats and carpets. I will keep this as my build log.

Stort-list of mods still to do.

Lowering springs...1.25
Full repaint....color??
Reinstall stock radio
Install wheels and tires
New brakes/slotted drilled rotors
Calipers...sandblast and powder coat.
Trans shift issue....no first gear??
Mail away tune
Change over to the polished intake
Finish polishing fuel rails.
Install new valve covers.
Move alt down
Install supercharger
Abs delete
Install line lock
A/c delete
Fuel line mod
Slow cranking starter issue??
Install headers
Clean up/wire tuck under hooddum
Carpets
Install the new leather interior
Fix slow window motors

Last edited by fuzzyjk; 02-12-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great project... definetly need some pics!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some pix, I will add some more current pix tonight and a clip of the cam idle if I can figure out how.
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-garage-camaro.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-enginez28.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-motorz28.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-camaroout.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-supercharger.jpg  

Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Badass you were able to find it.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Badass you were able to find it.
Yes, fully rebuilt with the upgraded impeller and the smaller pulley, for what I feel was a fair deal. If your buddy still wants the rear turbo kit I am up for a partial swap for his cat back plus some cash (from him). He can give me a small deposit and he can pay the rest off when ever he wants and the time allows for him to remove the exhaust.

Sorry bout that, confussed you for another member. Yes found one. It's really coming together now.

Last edited by fuzzyjk; 02-12-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Wrong person.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know how many miles you have on the motor yet but those valvecovers after i modded them for 1.6 rockers leaked like a sieve! Looks good!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
I dont know how many miles you have on the motor yet but those valvecovers after i modded them for 1.6 rockers leaked like a sieve! Looks good!
I have about 20 miles on the engine, but those covers were not put on. I will be going with the Eldelbrock valve covers as they match the intake well.

My goals with this car is 420ish to the wheels and anything better than a 11.99 in the 1/4 and I will be happy. Gussing 310-320 engine only, another 100 or so at 6lbs.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Photos from today, Like I said work in process. Also a pic of the new leather interior going in.
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-car.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carmotor.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carinside.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-caroldseat.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carnewinterior.jpg  

Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now the other parts I bought before I made up my mind on the direction. Yes, there is two merge pipes one for a T-3 and one for a T-4 (just incase)

Rear Turbo Stuff
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carremoteturbo.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carsts.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-cartial.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carremotecouplers.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carturbo.jpg  

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now on to the nitrous 10lbs or 5lbs, I don't know buy both.....The kit is the MAF I believe it is the the top of the line one NX sells for the LT1

30 and 42 injectors too (not pictured)
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carnit2.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carnitrous1.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carpump.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carbottles.jpg  

Last edited by fuzzyjk; 02-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lastly the ported intake with the BBK 58.

Not pictured is the 1.6RR, Crane 227 cam, Pacesetters and the LE heads. I love having an understanding wife! That rounds out the pic I have in my phone. It should make this thread much more interesting to look at. Now I have to put all the stuff away.
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carenginetop.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-cartci.jpg  

Last edited by fuzzyjk; 02-13-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Just noticed the 58 in not in the pic, Duh......
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Are you supercharging a completely stock shortblock or did you install forged blower pistons to lower CR? Most will tell you the stock pistons and high compression will not take much boost while remaining reliable...if not I would certainly be running a very big intercooler and meth injection with a MSD boost retard controller or it might go BOOM! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Are you supercharging a completely stock shortblock or did you install forged blower pistons to lower CR? Most will tell you the stock pistons and high compression will not take much boost while remaining reliable...if not I would certainly be running a very big intercooler and meth injection with a MSD boost retard controller or it might go BOOM! Good luck!
Yes sir, completely stock lower end. I was hoping 6lbs would be a safe number. The S/C came with a Crane Cam retarder and MSD booster. I do have a used Snows meth kit if you think I need it. To boot the compression is slightly higher than stock since the heads will bump it up a little.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
Yes sir, completely stock lower end. I was hoping 6lbs would be a safe number. The S/C came with a Crane Cam retarder and MSD booster. I do have a used Snows meth kit if you think I need it. To boot the compression is slightly higher than stock since the heads will bump it up a little.
Yikes! Not to rain on your parade, but more compression than stock is not good; the engine will not last nearly as long as a N/A motor with that high a CR even with low boost....you may want to strongly consider selling your LE1 heads to buy the Trick flow 195 heads, they have bigger chambers to reduce CR and are perfect for a boosted application. Something to think about....

http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...4&autoview=sku
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seats are out, Carpets are messed up bad, I am am going to try to save them if I can. I have new carpet but its black. I would like to keep the tan if possible as I can't find the matching rear/hatch carpet anywhere. I wonder if they are even made anymore?

Ahritchie, thanks for the advise, the compression is only slightly higher from the heads being decked. The heads themselves are stock casings with LE porting.
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carpat1.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carpat2.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carpat3.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carseat.jpg  

Last edited by fuzzyjk; 02-13-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4 hours of carpet cleaning later............
Attached Thumbnails 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carclean1.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carclean2.jpg   15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.-carclean3.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get your new leather covers from? Its looking good!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Yikes! Not to rain on your parade, but more compression than stock is not good; the engine will not last nearly as long as a N/A motor with that high a CR even with low boost....you may want to strongly consider selling your LE1 heads to buy the Trick flow 195 heads, they have bigger chambers to reduce CR and are perfect for a boosted application. Something to think about....

http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...4&autoview=sku
Im going to have to agree with this too...

There have been alot of people in the past blowing up there bottom ends with stock shortblocks and compression. Now your likely close to 10.5-11:1 compression which is not optimal for boost on a built bottom let alone a stock one. This is the main reason i decided to part ways with a P600B kit i had bought dirt cheap cause to properly build a blower motor costs big $$$$. Your best bet and easiest would be to sell off your LE1s and buy some TFS 65+cc heads to bring it to safe compression. This will not only help safe your motor but will let you increase the boost! Win Win and you dont grenade your motor!

For now im running an N/A setup and will down the road get into the boost world when i have a properly built motor to run the application. Nothing worse then playing with fire when big money is at stake if you blow it. Also nothing worse then being limited to 6lbs of boost and get power hungry and want to change a pulley/belt for another 50-100rwhp either

Dont mean to scare you but to do it right the first time and not kick yourself down the road for not taking the proper precautions.

Quick Reply: 15 years almost to the day...the rebuild.