LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting close! (Whipple LT1 Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Anyone want a Fully done D1sc setup with intercooler and tubing? lol

How much do you want? Just the snail....
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Is there a way to calculate blower speed with some math?

Like to know the same?

What sort of pulley config would be required to keep the PSI under 8 pounds?

I kow its almost stupid to run a FI setup like this at such low numbers, but the stock lower end can't handle a whole lot more than 6-8psi and it would be nice to keep the bolt on guys in the game on this... opens the market further if this goes to production.

The success of this Whipple blower is paramount in my eyes, the LS1 crowd has nothing like it yet and it would be wonderfull to bring the forgoten 4th gen (lt1) back into the game.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM
bbk
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Houdini
Like to know the same?

I kow its almost stupid to run a FI setup like this at such low numbers, but the stock lower end can't handle a whole lot more than 6-8psi and it would be nice to keep the bolt on guys in the game on this... opens the market further if this goes to production.

The success of this Whipple blower is paramount in my eyes, the LS1 crowd has nothing like it yet and it would be wonderfull to bring the forgoten 4th gen (lt1) back into the game.
The belt set up is the same as the previous set up with the stock tensioner. The only difference is that everything is 8 rib now. To find SC RPM just use Crank Pulley Dia/SC pulley Dia * engine RPM. Eg. I am using 7.5" crank and a 3.5" SC to start with and max engine rpm 6500 is 7.5/3.5*6500=~13929RPM @ redline. The smaller displacement Whipple 145ax will fit with my kit using a spacer I have designed at the back and would be better suited for less HP applications. A larger SC pulley than 3.5" will not fit under the stock hood it is that close! You would have to make a smaller crank pulley to underdrive everything. Sorry for the long babble!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Default supercharger

OMG that is sick i have a 1996 impala ss that this would look sick on.
I will be following this.
Paul.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Houdini
Like to know the same?

If you have the money for a setup like this...you DEFINITELY have the money to build the bottom end on your stock motor.
I don't think this is exactly suitable for the bolt-on crowd....
Being "in the game" with an LT1 (which I don't think we were ever "out") could mean a lot of things. An LT1 with full bolt-ons will easily take out an LS1 cam/headers setup. It's all relative.
If you're looking to be an "LS1 Eater", you'd better start with a fully built engine, and go heavy with a power adder.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qc97z
If you have the money for a setup like this...you DEFINITELY have the money to build the bottom end on your stock motor.
Being "in the game" with an LT1 (which I don't think we were ever "out") could mean a lot of things. An LT1 with full bolt-ons will easily take out an LS1 cam/headers setup. It's all relative.
If you're looking to be an "LS1 Eater", you'd better start with a fully built engine, and go heavy with a power adder.
why go after the LS1's?..I'm after the Ford's and the Ricer's.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ This too. I support that more than going after the LS1 crowd. I was just humoring the OP that I quoted.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qc97z

My comment regarding being "in the game" was related to available mods... when new parts are released for 4th gens, it's almost always LS1 related. We have been forgotten for the most part and thats a shame, our cars are plenty capable. Perhaps something that has been denied (for the most part) to LS1 4th gen owners, yet available now to LT1's, would get the discussion going.

Most people dont have the cash to drop 20k in one big chunk and go all out build crazy. Usually its done in stages and thats mostly based on small'ish chunks of money (>$5,000)... I personally, like to throw a few grand a year at my toys for upgrades, I could do much more but dont feel like depleting my cash stockpile. I of course, would make that exception were this particular Whipple base to become available.

It would be nice to have the option to pulley down the blower and keep the stock shortblock from becoming a grenade... allows people to build in stages. Thats called options and thats always a good thing, perhaps not the smartest route to go, but the more choices the better.

I'm well aware what LT1's can be made into and how, lets PLEASE not drift this thread.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Houdini;16025093]Perhaps something that has been denied (for the most part) to LS1 4th gen owners, yet available now to LT1's, would get the discussion going.

What have they been denied? Roots blowers? Several available for LSX...

It would be nice to have the option to pulley down the blower and keep the stock shortblock from becoming a grenade... allows people to build in stages. Thats called options and thats always a good thing, perhaps not the smartest route to go, but the more choices the better.

You could definitely pulley this down...might possibly need to custom machine your own though. If you have the know-how and the access, it's a pretty simple task./QUOTE]

Back to the main subject of the thread...definitely NOT trying to drift this thread and take away from this incredible development.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This look amazing! It must be exciting to R/D something like this.
So what do you have in mind for the intake (tube and filter)?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is freaking amazing machine work. great job, now make an LS version and watch them really sell.
as far as whipples at 8psi, dont do it lol. build the bottom end now then worry about the blower later. twin screws really shine at higher boost levels, 8 psi is a crime on such a beatiful looking setup like this lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates or more info on this yet?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
bbk
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Pics installed

Originally Posted by transbird95
Any updates or more info on this yet?
Site updated with new pics!

http://www.corneltechweb.com/superchargerphaseii.htm
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yr_StC3uw
Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
damn, your making me wish i kept my LT1.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bbk
Site updated with new pics!
Absolutely beautiful!

One of the coolest and most exciting projects in LT1s for sure.

Thinking about the price still makes me cringe, but its a very well executed project if I've ever seen one.

Just imagine if we would have gotten those aftermarket blocks...434ci LT1 with AFR 235cc heads and a whipple? That kind of **** gives me wood.
The following users liked this post:
NewOrleansLT1 (06-30-2023)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
Thinking about the price still makes me cringe, but its a very well executed project if I've ever seen one.
How much does just the blower cost in a unit like this?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will these ever be sold?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

ok this just made me not want to do an ls swap with a maggy on it...

383 stroked lt4 with a wipple is my new plan...

this is friggin amazing and in waiting for a price now...

Quick Reply: Getting close! (Whipple LT1 Pics)