LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new motor or just top end

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motor or just top end

okay so i have been on here a lot and was just going to do a top end on my 97ss m6 with 147000 but now i found an lt1 just pulled out of a camaro so it ran and it has 110000 so should i jsut get this motor build it with all new stuff a little better then stock and then cam and all that good stuff or just do my top end
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Well it all depends on the money you wanna spend..It never hurts to have an extra motor laying around so building the lower mileage LT1 may be a good choice.Just be sure it's a strong,well taken care of motor, because lower miles dont always dictate its a better motor.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

well without taking it all apart how can u see if it is. i would prob make it a 355 and then its just a good mind set that its all new. the only other thing i was going to do is sell the whole car and then get an ls1 ss
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

lol well dont build an LT1 if you really want an LS1 SS. But idk why i'm worrying about if that motor is good since you'd be rebuilding it anyways lol,but it may save you time,effort and money to just pull your current motor and make it your 355 project,instead of buying another LT1,building it,pulling your current one and then dropping in the new one.So yea if I were you,I'd just pull your current one and build it.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

i was thinking that to but the car is my dd and i have school 5 days a week and then work so thats y i was going to get the other lt and then have it all done then all i have to do is pull the motor and then drop the new one in when its ready... and i only say that about the newer car bc this one as been kinda beat up from the guy b4 me and i would even like to find a nice roller thats a 97 and then just swap all my stuff to it
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

well i have just got the newer lt1 and now i need help with what to put in the motor... it will still be a DD and i dont care about numbers just want good stuff and i want it to sound good as well. i will be using stock heads just have work done to them and i will have the block worked and everything inside and out will be new... but what crank cam pistons all that good stuff if anyone can help me
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hotcam
Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Don't worry bout the crankshaft, for the pistons and rods, it depends on what you really want to spend. I wouldn't cheap out though.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

im not trying to im trying to do it like a mid price and in april and may i get my big checks from school so thats where its going and i get 1750 a month from the military and i work so i have money coming in just need a lil bit of time to get it all but i will get there

Quick Reply: new motor or just top end