LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak

I have an oil leak on the pan gasket under the front cover. I just finished the 24x conversion and all of a sudden got this leak. The gasket is still fine and rtv'd to heck and back. When I rev it or hold it at 4-5k it start leaking quite a bit. When I pop the hose off the throttle body to the valve cover it doesn't leak. So my question can I just cap the hole on the throttle body and put a breather on the valve cover?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you PCV valve is clogged, piston blowby is creating positive pressure and squirting oil out, but when you take the tube off, it takes the PVC system out.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nevermind I think I found out what happened I think that it was when I put the throttle body 24x beauty plate on I reused the factory gasket and it was a little warPed and was clogging the PVC. I just used some black rtv and made my own gasket.

Edit: treed me.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's still leaking but not as bad.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

That line that is on the T/B that runs to the passenger valve cover is the fresh air feed to the engine for the PCV system. It's not venting into the T/B. It picks up air in front of the TB blades that is rushing in through the T/B and channels it into the valve cover. If you remove that then you end up with stale air in the engine. The one you need to check to see if it is soaked with oil is the one running from the driver side of the intake back up to the front of the intake just bellow the T/B on the front of the intake. If it's soaked and you have oil burning problems you can add a catch can to try and keep the oil out of the intake. Once you make sure the PCV system is all working as designed then you can check for blow by and replace the gasket. Or maybe it will help slow down the leaking some more.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
That line that is on the T/B that runs to the passenger valve cover is the fresh air feed to the engine for the PCV system. It's not venting into the T/B. It picks up air in front of the TB blades that is rushing in through the T/B and channels it into the valve cover. If you remove that then you end up with stale air in the engine. The one you need to check to see if it is soaked with oil is the one running from the driver side of the intake back up to the front of the intake just bellow the T/B on the front of the intake. If it's soaked and you have oil burning problems you can add a catch can to try and keep the oil out of the intake. Once you make sure the PCV system is all working as designed then you can check for blow by and replace the gasket. Or maybe it will help slow down the leaking some more.

Ok I'll have to check it in the morning any idea why it just all of a sudden came about? It have ran in a months. Changed nothing except the 24x conversion and wasnt having the problem before. It's not like it's spewing out its more a steady drip.

Last edited by lethal bird; 03-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

I would clean up the area really good to absolutely make sure the oil is coming from the pan to timing cover gasket area and not dripping from above at the plug or maybe the water pump drive or the crank sensor oring if thats the cover you have. I see the LT1 timing cover as a leak waiting to happen since they have more holes then Swiss cheese lol. It may be something really simple as a piece of debris got in-between the gasket or it didn't line properly when you put it back together, cracked O-ring, ect. Even though you would think you should be able to reuse the pan gasket, in most cases the gasket has swollen or formed a memory in it that will require it to be replaced. I find if there is any oil at all on the sealing surface it tends to leak. Thats what I have experienced over the years. Others say it's a none issue for them.cleaning the are up will usually let you see exactly where it is coming from.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

No it's just leaking at the pan/cover gasket area. All the other seals and o-rings new.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok just lowered the pan a little and put some more rtv on so now I'm going to let it dry for a few hours. I pulled the Pcv hose on the driver side and it had a very small amount of gunk but not oil. Nor did the hole have any oil in it.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Part of your problem may be the OVER-abundance of RTV...
Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Part of your problem may be the OVER-abundance of RTV...
There was a leak before any rtv was applied.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went and picked up a new pan gasket today. Can you put it on by just lowering the pan or does it have to come off?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Guys have posted up in the past that you just have to drop it down but you have to be careful to not knock the pickup off the oil pump and the oil level sensor needs to come out first if you still have one. Get some brake cleaner and rags to clean the surfaces with. Use very small amounts of rtv in the corners of the timing cover and the rear seal. Then feed the gasket around the pump and pick up and wipe the gasket off of any oil. Might be able to use the plastic studs that come with the felpro's but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just going to remove the dipstick, starter, and oil level sensor and go under the pan like a lot of poeple had.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

I put my pan gasket on without removing the pan completely, just dropped the pan to the k-member, clean everything and slide the gasket in and re clean any oil it picked up.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I put my pan gasket on without removing the pan completely, just dropped the pan to the k-member, clean everything and slide the gasket in and re clean any oil it picked up.
That's what I'll be doing. I've read it's not hard just time consuming taking the stuff off.

Quick Reply: Oil leak