LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best shocks/springs/coil overs for road racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best shocks/springs/coil overs for road racing

I am not building my car to be a straight line car, i want to take it on road courses. So what im looking for is something nice and stiff that will help my car fly around turns. Soon im going to poly bushing with a strut tower brace and sub frame connectors. As of now i have Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks... Front seems pretty stiff but rear not so much. I am thinking maybe coil overs cuz i know as far as handling thats gonna be badass. Only concern with those is i don't wanna be bouncing around driving down the road like a civic with a fart box lol so i guess what i wanna know is if there are coil overs that ride decent but improve handling dramatically. Any information will help, thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Talk to Sam:

http://www.stranoparts.com/

Save you a lot of time and get you dialed in...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Give Sam Strano a call about your goals for the car, he will get you setup exactly for your needs. I would suggest first Koni's and Strano springs as a starting point, that will make a big difference on how the car handles and rides. The 'bouncing like a civic' that you refer to is when a car doesn't have the shocks to handle lower or stiffer springs, thus they bounce. A strut tower brace doesn't do too much on these cars, its mostly appearance. If getting subframe connectors, get triangular ones, such as UMI or SLP. Sway bars will make a huge improvement as well, I would suggest 35mm hollow for front and just go poly with the stock 19mm in the rear, too much rear bar can induce oversteer. Poly bushings will help as long as they are NOT in the caster bushing or rear lower control arms, in these locations poly only cause binding, so only go upper control arm and the camber bushing in the lower arm, and of course the sway bars.

I would just start with these basics before doing anything further into road racing. The single biggest thing that you can do for racing is practice and get experience. I would start with autocrossing if you haven't done any road racing before before jumping into road racing with no experience. JMO.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kgkern01
Give Sam Strano a call about your goals for the car, he will get you setup exactly for your needs. I would suggest first Koni's and Strano springs as a starting point, that will make a big difference on how the car handles and rides. The 'bouncing like a civic' that you refer to is when a car doesn't have the shocks to handle lower or stiffer springs, thus they bounce. A strut tower brace doesn't do too much on these cars, its mostly appearance. If getting subframe connectors, get triangular ones, such as UMI or SLP. Sway bars will make a huge improvement as well, I would suggest 35mm hollow for front and just go poly with the stock 19mm in the rear, too much rear bar can induce oversteer. Poly bushings will help as long as they are NOT in the caster bushing or rear lower control arms, in these locations poly only cause binding, so only go upper control arm and the camber bushing in the lower arm, and of course the sway bars.

I would just start with these basics before doing anything further into road racing. The single biggest thing that you can do for racing is practice and get experience. I would start with autocrossing if you haven't done any road racing before before jumping into road racing with no experience. JMO.
Thanks yeah i have so much body roll its ridiculous im ready to be able to take turns and actually stay even
Old 03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...a00205119.html this is the subframe connectors i was looking at
Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...bars/hotchkis/ these are the sway bars. So you said front only on these??
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Join frrax.com and do some research there. And talk to Sam as suggested. Or at least try the road racing/autocross forum on here. Much better help than a mostly drag oriented site
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

strano springs, Koni 4/4's here. happy.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just starting out, but Sam Strano lined me up for the Koni 4/3 shocks with Strano springs. Seems to be a very popular setup
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Koni 4/4's, but I had to get eibach because Strano springs were on back order
Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Koni yellow with steaming springs, hotchkis sway bars front and rear. I also opted for BMR arms up front as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Strano
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't want poly ends on your lcas or phb, you want rod ends on both ends, poly flexes too much. There is a GREAT thread on frrax called ls3 into lt1 f body in the powertrain section, check out his build.

Quick Reply: Best shocks/springs/coil overs for road racing